Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2009 11:55:41 AM EDT
This all started with a quick detach HVT on an FN SPR A1a in .308 with the tension bilock mount that I was having accuracy issues with.  Over the course of a year I worked with Gemtech and tried many different suggestions to get that setup to work for me but in the end I was without luck, sold the FN, and was out a bit of ammo.  I finally reached the decision to sell my HVT at a loss and let someone else try their hand with it (yes, I advised that with my bolt guns the suppressor was causing accuracy issues.).  EVERY company produces a lemon and I'm not too suprised that I possibly received one, it happens.

Kel at Gemtech saw my posts concerning my troubles and the attempted sale of my HVT suppressor.  I’ve had the pleasure of speaking with Kel before but I was downright surprised when he called me regarding my forum posts.  To keep it short and to the point, Kel told me he wanted to make me happy since I had tried so hard with the HVT and he was going to replace it.  “It won’t be an HVT and I can’t tell you what it is until after the SHOT show.  It’s titanium, we built it with precision shooting in mind, and I think you’ll like it”.  I’m telling you, this phone call was made out of pure awesome.

Well as awesome as it was that I was going to get a Sandstorm suppressor, we still had to wait for the ATF.  I believe I sent off my paperwork towards the end of January and it was approved May the 6th, no idea when Gemtech got my form, but I received the can on May the 27th .   Gemtech paid the transfer tax and I also received a box of something extra, but it didn’t come from Gemtech.  It actually came from a very generous man who paid out of pocket to make it happen and I don’t think he wants any credit for doing it so I’ll leave it at that..

First thing I notice is this thing is light.  Really light.  When I hold the Sandstorm in one hand and my LCD equipped Trident 9 in the other, there’s very little difference in weight to my hands.  Think about that for a second.   The finish is really nice and the build quality of this can is exceptional, as would be expected from a company of this caliber.  The anodized grey color matches, well, nothing!  But for some reason it looks right at home on my rifle and I don’t know why, but it just looks good.  I know it’s supposed to be grey anodize but I’m going to call it tactical grey so I can sleep better tonight.

How does it shoot and sound?!  The Sandstorm shoots and sounds like a purposefully built precision rifle can should.  I screwed the can on tightly, shot a 5 shot group at 100yds, measured the group and smiled when I saw the results.  Then I shot another 5 shot group.  And another, and another.  Each group was under an inch at 100yds with my reloads so there were many smiles that day.  As with any .30cal suppressor the crack of the bullet was the loudest sound and I feel safe shooting this setup without hearing protection.  POI shift was quite minimal producing an approximate 1moa shift low at 100yds from unsuppressed to suppressed.  To be fair I should have been using a mechanical rest but I simply don’t shoot that way.  Parker Hale/AI bipod and a rear bag is it for me.  To make matters worse, my target was quite canted and I made adjustments along the way.  Regardless of all of this I still had a great run with the suppressor using my reloads (175gr SMK, 43.5gr Varget, FGMM primer, Lapua brass).  Everything below was shot at 100yds and I'm hoping to try out the suppressor/rifle combo at 400yds this weekend if the weather will allow it!  

IMHO Gemtech hit this one out of the park and has taken accurate, suppressed shooting to a whole new level with their Sandstorm suppressor.  In the world we live in today of bottom lines, outsourcing customer service,  cutting costs, and making large profits with inferior products, I am happy to see at least one company going above and beyond to make a customer in Kentucky (of all places) extremely happy with his hard earned purchase.  I couldn't be more satisfied with the can, company, or the high level of customer service that I received.

Kel and everyone at Gemtech, thank you.  

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#2]
What a perfect end to the story.  My hats off to GEMTECH.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:18:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds good.  I know that it is designed for bolt guns, but what did the literature say about using it on semi autos?  I did not see anything on there site about it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Kel is the man.

He has helped me out in the past with a Trident upgrade. A true class act.

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 9:36:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Gemtech is the best.  The majority of my suppressors are from them.  I've received help from them in several situations above and beyond my expectations.  Way way above.  Glad to hear another good story with them involved.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:20:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow, great story about what seems to be a great company.  I am waiting on a F4 for a Sandstorm.  

Wes
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:08:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sounds good.  I know that it is designed for bolt guns, but what did the literature say about using it on semi autos?  I did not see anything on there site about it.

I don't see anything about semi-auto applications other than the suppressor isn't full auto rated.  I plan to run this on a couple AR's when I find out about an adapter and I'll put up an update when/if I get to try this out.  

-X
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:43:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:13:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Congrats man. Great story and glad it all work out for you. Sweet set up.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Awesome!!
Link Posted: 6/27/2009 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#12]
**Forgot to add, we were shooting prone off of bipods and rear bags this day.  We also met a couple dudes that invited us out to a 1000yd range in July.  **

We went and shot at 400yds today and other than fighting the crazy wind and rediculous amounts of mirage, we had a good day.  

-X

Wind KILLED me here.

My spotter didn't see where these were hitting each time (wind was rocking his spotting scope and trying to look through the soup) so I stopped at 7 shots.  Wind grabbed ahold of 1 but the other 6 were mighty, mighty fine.  

Even with my one shot that the wind grabbed up, still very close to MOA.

Don't mind the .224 size holes.  Prvi 75gr stuff out of the AR wasn't working out as well as previous trips at 400yds.  Had a bad day with the AR since I messed with the Leupy Mk4 that was on there.    Decent group with the .308 however.

Link Posted: 6/28/2009 7:10:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice!
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
cool. You should schedule your next trip through here on the weekend of one of the 600yd matche dates.

I'd love to do that Steve, I'll have to check out the dates.  If you get a chance, shoot me an IM if you have any info or a website and I'll plan to catch a match or two.

-X
Link Posted: 6/28/2009 6:11:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Did your dope remain the same, or did you shoot a different elevation for 400 than normal without the can, or do you even know what your 400yard dope is without it?

When adding the suppressor I needed an extra 1moa up in elevation at 100yds and IIRC, at 400yds I needed 1.25moa (8moa without, 9.25moa with).  I need to break the shooting book out and start recording with the suppressor but there seems to be right at 1moa impact shift straight down when adding the suppressor.  I have plans to chrono my loads next weekend because it seems to take more elevation that I had anticipated to get lined up at 400yds.  I am very pleased there was no windage change required when adding the can.  

Also if you look at the 3rd pic that is where I had my windage dials set at zero.  The 4th pic shows a +.25 moa (1 click) adjustment to the right.  Couldn't get it to line up the middle darn it!

-X

Link Posted: 6/29/2009 9:56:38 AM EDT
[#18]
This is to be tested next.  

-X

Link Posted: 6/29/2009 6:35:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 5:28:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did your dope remain the same, or did you shoot a different elevation for 400 than normal without the can, or do you even know what your 400yard dope is without it?

When adding the suppressor I needed an extra 1moa up in elevation at 100yds and IIRC, at 400yds I needed 1.25moa (8moa without, 9.25moa with).  I need to break the shooting book out and start recording with the suppressor but there seems to be right at 1moa impact shift straight down when adding the suppressor.  I have plans to chrono my loads next weekend because it seems to take more elevation that I had anticipated to get lined up at 400yds.  I am very pleased there was no windage change required when adding the can.  

Also if you look at the 3rd pic that is where I had my windage dials set at zero.  The 4th pic shows a +.25 moa (1 click) adjustment to the right.  Couldn't get it to line up the middle darn it!

-X

So are you saying that if you had slipped scales after zeroing at 100 with the silencer attached, you would only have needed an extra .25" over your standard 400yard dope to achieve a 400yard zero?

If so that's pretty good IMO

100yds = zeroed without suppressor / 1moa low with suppressor

400yds = +8moa without suppressor  / +9.25moa with suppressor

So at 100yds I need an additional 1moa when adding the suppressor and at 400yds I need an additional 1.25moa.

-X
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I know this is going to sound weird, but the hole size in the first targets shown looks wrong for the measurements being given.  Look like .223 holes to me.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:24:23 PM EDT
[#23]
damn that is nice! btw is that elite ammo you're using

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:59:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
damn that is nice! btw is that elite ammo you're using

Thanks.    Haha no, that's not elite ammo.  

-X
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:01:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Bring your rig to the shoot sometime. I'm trying to start a suppressors-only section on the far east side.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:53:12 PM EDT
[#26]
That pretty nice that Gemtech went out of their way to please a customer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top