BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2003 11:49:54 AM EDT
What color do you prefer your gear in?
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#1]
OD green

but i have been know to spray paint my gear to suit the enviorment.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Black or camo
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#3]
OD for me
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 12:07:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't you guys know anything?
Every thing goes with black.
For us gear queers it is just easyer to accessorize basic black.  It goes with everything from a Strider to heels and pearls.
NoKarma

Yes this is a joke.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 9:49:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Tan.  Everything goes with khaki, plus it doesn't soak up as much heat when you're out in the sun all day.  Not to mention keeping you hidden out in the desert.  :)

Though at night or in an entry situation, you probably want black.  OD or camo for the woods, etc.

308wood, does spray painting have any ill effects on the gear?
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 1:33:21 PM EDT
[#6]
MARPAT!
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
MARPAT!

Link Posted: 7/12/2003 1:53:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Black like the night
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Though at night or in an entry situation, you probably want black.  OD or camo for the woods, etc.

Actually, I think that OD green is probably the best all around color, and even better than black for night work.  Many people think that it is "black" at night, when it really isn't.  Typically black gear is darker than the "blackness" of night, and you wind up being a silhouette, actually darker than the background you are working in.  This can be bad.  I would think that even woodland camo, with its broken pattern, will provide better concealment at night than black, maybe even better than straight OD.

OD gear works very well in almost any situation in my opinion.  It works OK over your desert tan BDU/cammies, works good in the woods over your woodland BDU/cammies, and works good at night.  If you don't want to have multiple copies of your gear in different colors, I say OD green is the best bet.

But then again, I'm a armchair mall ninja, so what the hell do I know!  

Link Posted: 7/13/2003 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#10]
OD here...everything I personally own aside from one Arktis vest is OD. My cases, drag bag, vest, etc...all in Olive Drab. Tan is pretty much worthless in Vermont. If it were a few shades darker you might be able to pull it off but not the current issued stuff IMO.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 10:21:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks like OD is leading the way on the poll.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 8:49:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 9:03:00 AM EDT
[#13]
no coyote brown?!?
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#14]
What I want to know is, of the 25% who prefer black gear, how many are JBTs and how many are mall ninjas.

Link Posted: 7/19/2003 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 3:34:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Brad, & all, I am considering getting one of CQB solutions 3 mag chest pouches. This will be part of a gear set I am putting together that I can keep in my vehicle. It would be something that would be thrown on with whatever I might have on at the time clothes wise, from work attire, to jeans & t-shirt, thus I am not concerned so much with it "fitting in" like I would with BDU's and such. That said, which color should I go with...OD or black? Which would be the better choice?
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Which would be the better choice?

- There were more votes in the poll for OD green than for all other options combined.  

- You say you don't need to 'fit in' so apparently you don't have a department policy requiring you to wear black gear.

- The color has no effect on the function of the gear.

This seems to be more of a fashion question than a gear question, so maybe you should post your question here.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 4:32:29 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Which would be the better choice?

- There were more votes in the poll for OD green than for all other options combined.  

- You say you don't need to 'fit in' so apparently you don't have a department policy requiring you to wear black gear.

- The color has no effect on the function of the gear.

This seems to be more of a fashion question than a gear question, so maybe you should post your question here.  

I think I am going with OD, that way if I want/need to use it with BDU's and other gear (which will be mostly camo with some OD) it wont stand out. Might pick up some black stuff later just to have on hand.

I am finding/getting the perception that in the "real" world, black doesnt really get used that much.

By the way, no Dept use here. All personal.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 5:05:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 5:10:37 AM EDT
[#20]
OD.  Non-colors are great
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 5:15:55 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think I am going with OD, that way if I want/need to use it with BDU's and other gear (which will be mostly camo with some OD) it wont stand out. Might pick up some black stuff later just to have on hand.

Chicks dig black.

I'm married. What do I care about what chicks like?

Link Posted: 7/23/2003 5:16:48 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
OD.  Non-colors are great

Non color?
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 5:18:35 AM EDT
[#23]
In bright sunlight or even at dusk, OD seems to blend in with almost anything, almost as good as grey does.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 5:25:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Hard one to answer without the why's.

On the range I prefer black since it's a bit more acceptable while in the boonies I prefer OD or camo if OD is not available.

Tj
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 5:41:34 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
In bright sunlight or even at dusk, OD seems to blend in with almost anything, almost as good as grey does.

I had not thought of that.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 5:16:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Unless you are a mall ninja, black is worthless.  It's too dark at night and matches nothing during the day.  Even BDUs are too dark during the day and make you stand out as a dark spot when viewed from more than about 75 yards.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 9:22:01 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Unless you are a mall ninja, black is worthless.  It's too dark at night and matches nothing during the day.  Even BDUs are too dark during the day and make you stand out as a dark spot when viewed from more than about 75 yards.

I had a feeling those SWAT and DELTA guys didn't know what the shit they were doing.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 9:02:46 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I had a feeling those SWAT and DELTA guys didn't know what the shit they were doing.

Neither of those groups need camo.  They both strike hard and fast with complete surprise.  If anything, being readily visible and easily identified can make their jobs easier if it intimidates the bad guys into giving up.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 4:25:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Just kidding guys! LOL The only black I use is pistol belt which matches my holsters.  In fact, I hate to admit it but when decked out in all my web gear I look like a Christmas tree. Black belt, holsters, OD green pouches, Blue ground mat, and red tent.  Billy's is a bit better with OD belt, pouches, and camo butt pack.

Tj
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 5:26:38 AM EDT
[#30]
I prefer OD or washed out woodland camo. If you need more detail or texture use a personal netting or add stuff from the area. New woodland camo is too dark at a distance. You look like a black blob moving across a green background, in the summer.

During deer season when the leaves are all off the trees I prefer light greys and tans. I have spraypainted my stand in these colors.

There was a good website that did a somewhat scientific comparison of camo and they determined that lighter is better in a tree stand environment as you are adding "sky" to your profile when viewed from the ground.

The best camo against game is to not move.

Bob
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 8:02:41 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
There was a good website that did a somewhat scientific comparison of camo and they determined that lighter is better in a tree stand environment as you are adding "sky" to your profile when viewed from the ground.

www.whitetail.com/camo1.html
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 1:23:10 AM EDT
[#32]
It depends on the area of operations.  OD is a little more versatile, because it can blend with more envirionments when mixed with different color uniforms.  It matches just about everything (except maybe blue and gray).

My gear is mixed in color.  As long as it does whatever it is supposed to do and isn't sfaety orange, it doesn't matter what color it is.  Black is cooler, OD is more useful.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 4:38:27 AM EDT
[#33]
I went with the OD chest pouch. The rest of my gear will probably be a mix.

Link Posted: 8/11/2003 11:34:19 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Black is cooler, OD is more useful.  

How exactly is black cooler? I have felt the opposite.

I like khaki.

Link Posted: 8/12/2003 4:44:21 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Black is cooler, OD is more useful.  

How exactly is black cooler? I have felt the opposite.

I like khaki.

Cooler looks wise, not temp wise.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 1:46:53 PM EDT
[#36]
silly me.

Black does look cool if you have the jumpsuit and nomex hood and MP5-s. Otherwise, green looks better. I am liking coyote, but would like to see a release on a palette number from the Corps. Are you reading this Major Patricio?

Its amazing this 'revolutianary new color' is just a few shades away from the Khaki the Brits had over a hundred years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top