Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#1]
This is insane. I had missed this thread, so thanks for the bump @DirtyHandsRob

That said, just out of curiosity, about how many members of ARFCOM have been confirmed affected by this? Just wondering if there's an approximation of how many tubes ARFCOM members got sold by this dirtbag.

Also, glad I was "late" getting into the NVG game. I started off a couple of months ago looking at used tubes and whatnot on the EE. Had I been a few months earlier, I could have ended up getting tangled in this web. Makes me glad I got my tubes from Night Goggles. Also makes me feel really skeptical about buying used, which really hurts people who try to sell legitimate used tubes. I'll for sure be keeping my receipts/spec sheets in the event I ever decide to sell mine. Doubt I will though.
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't overthink it until we hear about any potential resolution and how this wraps up. This was an incredibly unique situation because of who this guy was, and how trusted he was in the industry - he holds NV Patents... This dates back to 2015-ish, so many of these tubes have already come and gone for a while. I am sure some of the tubes have been broken, resold, traded, etc.

If you ask me, much of the NV market is a complete mess. I know people who bought from legit vendors (Adams Industries & Night Combat Solutions) and have been screwed out Thousands...

Thank you to the vendors who are doing it right and carrying the torch. Thank you to the private sellers who are doing the same.
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 8:43:15 PM EDT
[#3]
If the info I have is correct.... guy flew his plane not even 2 weeks ago.... So there's that.
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 8:54:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't overthink it until we hear about any potential resolution and how this wraps up. This was an incredibly unique situation because of who this guy was, and how trusted he was in the industry - he holds NV Patents... This dates back to 2015-ish, so many of these tubes have already come and gone for a while. I am sure some of the tubes have been broken, resold, traded, etc.

If you ask me, much of the NV market is a complete mess. I know people who bought from legit vendors (Adams Industries & Night Combat Solutions) and have been screwed out Thousands...

Thank you to the vendors who are doing it right and carrying the torch. Thank you to the private sellers who are doing the same.
View Quote
Shit, there are “legit” vendors that are fake as hell and full of it. I literally trust two. Vendors in the NV arena. I’m sure there are more, but I can vouch for two.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If the info I have is correct.... guy flew his plane not even 2 weeks ago.... So there's that.
View Quote
Wow. I guess he just posted bail until this gets sorted...?

I never looked into anymore after he was locked up and seeing the patents he was on.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, at least the plane is in working order. That, or there is a whole lot more to this story and we're just not being told anything.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 10:59:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 11:00:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 11:15:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Hopefully he's forced to liquidate all of his assets to avoid time in the Federal Pen to make all the companies whole, in turn will mean we get to keep all the stuff we paid for in good faith.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 6:47:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Just hold on to your stolen shit and we may or may not come to get it.....? Since when has big brother ever waited to fuck anyone over? This whole situation is fishy AF!
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:20:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Forum members,

Please accept this update regarding the DHS/HSI "LAMNETH" investigation.

1. As previously mentioned, this investigation is complex, time consuming and ongoing. But the government is working steadily toward a resolution.
2. The government is preparing to send out its next communication, which is notification and request.
3. Please pay attention to your email account on file with the Case Agent over the next couple of weeks.
4. If you have changed your email account information since your last communication with the Case Agent then please send him an email to update with your current address.
5. In the coming week(s), you will receive an email containing a letter, which will provide important information.
6. This letter will require action by you.

Thank you for your continued cooperation, patience and attention to this matter as the government continues the investigation. As always, I sympathize with the inconvenience this matter has caused and will continue to try and help each of you to the best of my abilities.

Hunter Durham
Case Agent/Homeland Security Investigations (HSI)
[email protected]
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 2:09:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I was just wondering. Thank you for the heads up Agent Durham.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Well lilMac.....it has gone south for the rest of us involved in this ordeal.  Email came today requesting the return of everything that was purchased from this individual.  As of current the item I purchased is irreplaceable.  There is no way I can afford to purchase a comparable replacement and I really don't think the scope is even available anymore.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 3:59:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well lilMac.....it has gone south for the rest of us involved in this ordeal.  Email came today requesting the return of everything that was purchased from this individual.  As of current the item I purchased is irreplaceable.  There is no way I can afford to purchase a comparable replacement and I really don't think the scope is even available anymore.
View Quote
That was quick. Real big bummer to hear that. I wonder how that process all works - the govt takes your [allegedly previously stolen] property, sits on it for a while, then returns it to the thief's employer as restitution? Is there anything else to share from the letter, like you being able to join others in requesting reimbursement for the property you believed was not stolen at the time of purchase? Or are you left to fight that battle on your own as an individual? Sorry you gotta go through all that - especially with a unit that it sounds like you can't just strip the tube(s) out of.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think it was a foregone conclusion that this would happen. It really sucks for people that these items were a significant investment and are not able to afford to replace them without placing themselves in a serious bind. I know there are people that will say no one should buy used and this is what they get for cheaping out. They make fun of "the poors" and say they always buy from a legitimate trusted vendor, but there are a lot of us that don't have the means for brand new and must budget carefully for even used gear.

Lamenth was considered a well trusted source and a lot of people are going to get their shit confiscated and absolutely no restitution because some dirt bag wanted to make a few extra bucks on the side by defrauding the companies he worked for.

@SFCCHANCE I feel for you brother, hopefully they log your stuff in for the upcoming trial, decide they don't physically need it and return it to you or cut you a nice fat check.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Really sorry y'all are having to deal with this.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 4:45:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Gets me riled up to no end when I hear statements like this? Then people loose their hard earned cash who never knew any better being newbs and now have this to deal with.

Back yard in the dark "Personal Message" ARFCOM sales and not even a NV dealer to begin with but only CHEAP pricing which it seems the community only cares about any longer no matter where it's made...Russian, Chinese, or whom or where it comes from...Hey it's cheap and in this case "this guy can be trusted"... "yea I ordered from him, he's good to go", "don't tell anyone publicly"!

Shaking my head yet again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think it was a foregone conclusion that this would happen. It really sucks for people that these items were a significant investment and are not able to afford to replace them without placing themselves in a serious bind. I know there are people that will say no one should buy used and this is what they get for cheaping out. They make fun of "the poors" and say they always buy from a legitimate trusted vendor, but there are a lot of us that don't have the means for brand new and must budget carefully for even used gear.

Lamenth was considered a well trusted source and a lot of people are going to get their shit confiscated and absolutely no restitution because some dirt bag wanted to make a few extra bucks on the side by defrauding the companies he worked for.

@SFCCHANCE I feel for you brother, hopefully they log your stuff in for the upcoming trial, decide they don't physically need it and return it to you or cut you a nice fat check.
Gets me riled up to no end when I hear statements like this? Then people loose their hard earned cash who never knew any better being newbs and now have this to deal with.

Back yard in the dark "Personal Message" ARFCOM sales and not even a NV dealer to begin with but only CHEAP pricing which it seems the community only cares about any longer no matter where it's made...Russian, Chinese, or whom or where it comes from...Hey it's cheap and in this case "this guy can be trusted"... "yea I ordered from him, he's good to go", "don't tell anyone publicly"!

Shaking my head yet again.
I'm not gonna lie, I've bought from private sellers and hoped for the best. I haven't been burned yet.

There is a thriving grey market in all sorts of second hand sensitive items military gear from night vision to full power lasers and illuminators. Some are really legal, some are definitely stolen, and some have extremely questionable providence. In a perfect world the best practice is to always, always, always buy from a major company. In real life, things are a lot more complicated for a multitude of reasons, cost to benefit ratio being a major factor.

I understand Lamenth sold a lot of gear and was employed by major suppliers. People thought he as a trusted source due to the volume he dealt in and there are strict inventory controls on night vision optics and image intensifiers. It was really the perfect storm. His employer had shitty inventory and destruction accountability protocols, and most likely didn't have a personnel search policy in place to check employees for stolen equipment when leaving the premises.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:09:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Is there a list of stolen tubes models and serial numbers to check tubes that are on the used market?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Man, I’m very sorry to hear this.

I hope the dude goes to jail for a LONG time.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:46:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:58:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
SFCCHANCE, our offer stands with you as well. If we can do anything to help let us know. We've been assisting many with super low pricing to mend some wounds. Maybe your home owners insurance can help. Do all you can to mitigate the loss.
View Quote
I shot augee an email regarding this earlier in the afternoon, hopes and prayers now.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:07:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

SFCCHANCE, our offer stands with you as well. If we can do anything to help let us know. We've been assisting many with super low pricing to mend some wounds. Maybe your home owners insurance can help. Do all you can to mitigate the loss.
View Quote
Interesting point, is it a common thing to individually list night vision devices on home owner's/renter's insurance policies? Is this something that the rest of us can reasonably do to increase our chances of avoiding issues of any kind?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:19:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Interesting point, is it a common thing to individually list night vision devices on home owner's/renter's insurance policies? Is this something that the rest of us can reasonably do to increase our chances of avoiding issues of any kind?
View Quote
Most likely being ceased by the government isn't covered
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:20:06 PM EDT
[#26]
I got mine added to a valuable property policy as a camera accessory (yes, I was honest about what it is...they worked with me to find something that worked)

But I doubt it would cover this scenario
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:20:11 PM EDT
[#27]
This whole situation sucks. I just dont get how the employer had no checks in place to prevent this type of thing. I dont fault the employer with the guy's lack of ethics, but it is protected technology. What if it had all been going overseas!

Vic is that pretty common in the industry, or is this the type of event that needed to happen to get those types of controls in place?

As always thanks for being the vendor that takes the high ground to help everyone out.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 12:20:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This whole situation sucks. I just dont get how the employer had no checks in place to prevent this type of thing. I dont fault the employer with the guy's lack of ethics, but it is protected technology. What if it had all been going overseas!

Vic is that pretty common in the industry, or is this the type of event that needed to happen to get those types of controls in place?

As always thanks for being the vendor that takes the high ground to help everyone out.
View Quote
I was just thinking of this earlier. For a company to deal in highly regulated items, they sure had a piss poor inventory system of accounting for incoming and outgoing and destroyed tubes. Reconciling their books is a top priority and they should have more than one person to verify the tubes that were marked for destruction were actually destroyed. Plus, I thought it was standard procedure for employees to be searched for company property when leaving the premises due to the sensitive nature of those tubes.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:50:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:51:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:13:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This shit would be easy to do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was just thinking of this earlier. For a company to deal in highly regulated items, they sure had a piss poor inventory system of accounting for incoming and outgoing and destroyed tubes. Reconciling their books is a top priority and they should have more than one person to verify the tubes that were marked for destruction were actually destroyed. Plus, I thought it was standard procedure for employees to be searched for company property when leaving the premises due to the sensitive nature of those tubes.
This shit would be easy to do.
Absolutely it would be easy to do. They do it at any operation that deals in currency and precious metals. Image intensifiers are probably close to worth their weight in gold.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
I took advantage, Vic is good to go on his understanding and generosity. It's a fantastic deal, deadens the blow a bunch. So take advantage of it when you can. It was tough to get the funds together, choosing things to let go of that I didn't think I ever would, even going to a pawn shop with stuff. But I chose to stay in the NV world, and that was the cost to stay in it for me.  Still I'm somewhere between pissed and sad/depressed. It's a psychological raping for sure.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Anyone care to share any info they have about the anti-trust lawsuits going on within the image intensifier industry?

https://www.roanoke.com/news/local/roanoke-county-night-vision-factory-lands-major-order-changes-hands/article_37c3b4ea-3a02-5edd-a9cd-6677e60d7db6.html
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#35]
And one more thing,

"What if" this guy gets aquitted of all the charges and wins out in the case against him. In this day and age it's very possible. Those individuals that paid for the items are now not only out the item but also the money.  Then what?  Does DHS just send our gear back to us? Who is gonna pay shipping? Does DHS give it back to the manufacturer? Is it going to be in a perpetual evidence locker somewhere? Is it going to come up for sale again on the AR15 night vision EE? Who's going to pay us when/if that is how this scenario plays out?  Have any of you guys thought of that?  This is a lose/lose scenario for every individual that purchased from him on the EE here. He gets aquitted and you done mailed your items and DHS or whoever is in possession of the gear.  He has all our money to buy a high power connected lawyer who could be possibly in bed with the federal judge!!!  This whole thing wreaks of a multi-faceted scheme.  Has the DHS frozen his bank assets? His movements within CONUS?  Is the dude sitting in a cell awaiting trial?   No..No Na hell NO..he ain't!..because that SOB is still spending our money on AVGAS.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Anyone care to share any info they have about the anti-trust lawsuits going on within the image intensifier industry?

https://www.roanoke.com/news/local/roanoke-county-night-vision-factory-lands-major-order-changes-hands/article_37c3b4ea-3a02-5edd-a9cd-6677e60d7db6.html
View Quote
The way I read it, and maybe I’m wrong, is that when Harris merged with L3, they were required to sell off their night vision business so as not to hold a monopoly, given L3 already produced night vision products.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The way I read it, and maybe I’m wrong, is that when Harris merged with L3, they were required to sell off their night vision business so as not to hold a monopoly, given L3 already produced night vision products.
View Quote
Did they sell only after suit was filed?
 So now there is two US manufacturers of I2?
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Did they sell only after suit was filed?
 So now there is two US manufacturers of I2?
View Quote
There are two mfg's just as before. It was part of the deal. They had to sell off the ITT (night vision) side of Harris, in order for L3 to merge with them and become L3Harris.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 7:56:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This terrible stuff has been going on within the NV industry for years!  Some of the old timers (like me) remember back in 2005 was the ONLY reason I started selling NV.  I was a victim of just about getting ripped off of several Raptors from a NV company still in business in the Nevada area. (No, I'm not giving names). The only reason we got our stuff, was a threatening phone call (true story) that a few of us were gonna drive on out and have a chat. I rarely hide behind a keyboard when it comes down to the clowns.

The beauty of that situation? I got introduced to Optics HQ at that time who got us our Raptors (the company told us to go there , refunded our monies). Mike over at Optics HQ at that time asked me if I was ever interested in selling NV?  At the onset, I just laughed out loud due to all the shysters out there.  In the end though, I knew I could do better and not ever rip anyone off and made it a constant goal in which TNVC still lives by today.  To do everything we can to offer the best customer service we can. We have never been about the almighty profit dollar, ever. (Yea I know a select few think this is a selling pitch, like Team Hillary...I don't give a RATS ASS!  I NEVER EVER ripped anyone off and give the shirt off my back to insure a customer never feels this way).

While I do not know any of the inside story where this guy worked except for the rumors here that he was taking tubes from his employer and re-selling?  If that was the case, they must of had some pretty substandard inventory control to say the least. I know of no companies out there who deal in high dollar items who don't conduct inventory at least once a year.

As for the stolen gear in itself out there on Fleabay and other locales, been going on for years. Not so long ago, there was a real crackdown on high power Mil lasers getting peddled.  Those used to be offered everywhere with the guise of "from legitimate LE or Mil members. The secret squirrel Personal Message Dealers here also (as in this case) are getting hammered as well. This also has been going on for years and we get so many PM's, "hey is this a good deal, this dealer is saying this", etc.   Unfortunately we are now seeing the depth of so many ARFCOM members effected all because of a "cheap deal".  As I mentioned, unlike years ago we got hammered for anything made in China, etc. Nowadays, no one seems to give a shit except it's CHEAP. Well I am betting if TNVC offered a China item we would still get hammered, but others get a free pass.  All good, we're used to it.

Edit, chosos, you're welcome. It's the least we could do as I really hate hearing about what is happening.  It was actually Augee who came up with the idea to offer substantial discounts for some of the guys out there effected.
View Quote
Vic,
We’ve had our share of differences but I thoroughly respect you for doing what you can to help people out in a shitty situation like this. After I recover from the two tubes I purchased from shithead I will definitely call you first whenever I decide to drop $$$ on NV related stuff.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 1:13:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 1:55:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Well there goes $4,500 of my money down the toilet. At least DHS gaves me 2 options: (1) keep it and have them kick my door down in the wee hours of the morning with a search warrant or (2) bubble wrap it and send it back to them via FedEx "at least it's in a pre paid box". I really doubt we'll ever see a dollar from this ass clown, but I do hope he likes the taste of "Jail food and Penis"
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:10:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Well there goes $4,500 of my money down the toilet. At least DHS gaves me 2 options: (1) keep it and have them kick my door down in the wee hours of the morning with a search warrant or (2) bubble wrap it and send it back to them via FedEx "at least it's in a pre paid box". I really doubt we'll ever see a dollar from this ass clown, but I do hope he likes the taste of "Jail food and Penis"
View Quote
I can tell you one thing 4500 isn't what I would consider "cheap" and neither is the amount I paid.  The items were as-is/used with no warranty, and I believe priced accordingly for used gear.

Munny, I guess we are in the same sinking ship together then.   DHS isn't going to knock your door down over this at 2a.m in this instance.  What they will do is get a search and seizure warrant, then have your local sheriff sign off on it.  Show up at your house in person to serve papers and confiscate item.  That is what usually happens.

No one wants to be an ass and not help these DHS agents/attorney prosecute this dude.  The process of voluntary sending in this evidence will help speed the case along.  It would be very very time consuming for DHS to fill out all the paperwork to get a warrant for every item and then go around in person and collect the govts property from 150 people spread across the CONUS.  I am waiting on prepaid shipping label now.  I already emailed my intent to voluntarily send in item.  I only hope that is everyone else's intent also.  If they don't send in items it could drag the case out over several more years, and nobody involved would want that.  I want to know sooner than later the disposition, so I can start planning/saving for a replacement item.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I can tell you one thing 4500 isn't what I would consider "cheap" and neither is the amount I paid.  The items were as-is/used with no warranty, and I believe priced accordingly for used gear.

Munny, I guess we are in the same sinking ship together then.   DHS isn't going to knock your door down over this at 2a.m in this instance.  What they will do is get a search and seizure warrant, then have your local sheriff sign off on it.  Show up at your house in person to serve papers and confiscate item.  That is what usually happens.

No one wants to be an ass and not help these DHS agents/attorney prosecute this dude.  The process of voluntary sending in this evidence will help speed the case along.  It would be very very time consuming for DHS to fill out all the paperwork to get a warrant for every item and then go around in person and collect the govts property from 150 people spread across the CONUS.  I am waiting on prepaid shipping label now.  I already emailed my intent to voluntarily send in item.  I only hope that is everyone else's intent also.  If they don't send in items it could drag the case out over several more years, and nobody involved would want that.  I want to know sooner than later the disposition, so I can start planning/saving for a replacement item.
View Quote
The problem is, there are people who bought from him a long time ago and sold the stuff well before this came to light. The paperwork recently received basically says surrender it or we will come for it. So are they going to go around searching homes of people who no longer possess these items? What are they going to do with my Sentinels from TNVC if they do come looking when they're looking for tubes and don't know any serial numbers...?
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#44]
This thread perfectly highlights why our gov needs to go (at least in its current form)

Comply or we use force. Deadly if necessary. Exactly while I will never support anyone working in any type of “enforcement” role for any level of government. No, you’re not a good guy just doing your job and following orders.

Sorry for the thread jack but it’s infuriating. Everyone will win except the guys who bought in good faith. Even the douche bag will probably get off with a slap on the hand.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 12:50:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 1:17:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Sorry to hear this debacle is still ongoing.
View Quote
Solid moves by a professional outfit.
I purchased a new setup not long ago and will continue to support TNVC when possible.

Sorry for everyone who were scammed here.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 1:22:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This thread perfectly highlights why our gov needs to go (at least in its current form)

Comply or we use force. Deadly if necessary. Exactly while I will never support anyone working in any type of “enforcement” role for any level of government. No, you’re not a good guy just doing your job and following orders.

Sorry for the thread jack but it’s infuriating. Everyone will win except the guys who bought in good faith. Even the douche bag will probably get off with a slap on the hand.
View Quote
How people return the stolen merchandise bought and quit blaming the messenger?
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Have no doubt I'm definitely voluntary surrendering it, I'm just pissed over the whole situation. So much for trusting someone on the EE with over 200+ positive feedback....

I guess no one else will be receiving a free set of ANVIS 9s for help catching this douchebag....
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

What are they going to do with my Sentinels from TNVC if they do come looking when they're looking for tubes and don't know any serial numbers...?
View Quote
I’d make extra copies of your receipt with s/n of the sentinel & data sheets and keep them together. And any correspondence or whatever type of evidence you might have to show you sold them (PayPal transaction, etc). Hopefully you notified the buyer.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 1:53:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top