Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/10/2003 11:28:17 PM EDT
What's the difference? I believe the gas ones are milder in recoil. But are they more/less reliable?

Also, who makes what. Benelli, Beretta, etc

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 5:59:09 AM EDT
The gas autoloaders have somewhat milder recoil than the recoil operated shotguns. As far as reliability the modern guns like the Browning Gold and Beretta AL390, AL391, etc are very reliable with factory ammo. With reloads it depends on how good your reloads are. I have both the Browning Gold and Beretta AL390s and they are extremely reliable.

I'd trust my life to either one.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 8:13:50 AM EDT
My Benelli M1 is recoil operated and it will kill your shoulder after shooting 50+ rounds of buck / slug.

I don't have any doubts on its reliability though. You just need to avoid using ultra light loads.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 2:05:28 PM EDT
I can shoot my 12 gauge Remy 1100 with heavy loads without a problem with recoil after 200 rounds. I couldn't do that with my Benelli M1.
The M1 is much easier to clean, but I'd rather shoot more.

YRMV
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 7:16:24 PM EDT
Get the best of both worlds, the Benelli M4.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 8:36:24 AM EDT
The Benelli is a Inertia operated shotgun. When it is fired, a massive spring in the bolt is compressed. When the pressure in the barrel subsides, the spring is released and forces the bolt to the rear. The barrel never moves.

Recoil operated shotguns - Browning A5s - use recoil to cycle the action. Most of these are classified as Long Recoil shotguns. The barrel and bolt both move rearward upon firing. The bolt is held to the rear while the barrel moves foreward. When the barrel gets back to its foremost position, the bolt is released to pick up another shell.

Gas operated shotguns - Rem 1100s - have gas ports in the barrel that bleed off gas on to a piston. The piston drives the action bar assembly and the bolt to the rear. The barrel doesn't move.

Considerations for each -

The recoil operated shotguns need quality ammo to cycle reliabily. If you are a small frame person or have a tendency to soft shoulder a shotgun, it may not cycle. Recoil shotguns must have a solid platform to recoil against.

The gas operated shotguns must also have quality ammo in order to cycle. See the Wal-Mart Ammo thread for more on this. They are a little more tolerant with soft shouldering. Felt recoil is usually 30% less than a recoil shotgun.

The inertia is one of the most forgiving as far as soft shouldering because it actually needs to "kick" so it can cycle. Beware, these can kick the hell out of you. You also can not add many accessories to a inertia shotgun. If you add too much weight - 1 pound - to the gun, the recoil will be dampened and the gun may not be reliable.

Hope this helps.
Lee
www.thearmsroom.com
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 8:04:30 PM EDT
I would really like a Benelli M4 but I already have Benelli M1 and can't dump even more $$$ on another shotgun!
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 10:56:15 AM EDT
I think a lot of people exaggerate (wish this had spellcheck) the Benelli's recoil. I can shoot 1250 fps 1 1/8 oz. loads all day long. I'm not particularly big,strong or young, maybe dumb,but I love speed shooting my M1. Knocked down 5 poppers this spring in 1.65 sec.
Top Top