Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2002 6:57:00 PM EDT
I read somewhere on the forums that if you had a gas tube leak near your gas block, that you would see residue on your gase tube.  Last time i went to the range my gun smoked from that region on the first shot, leaving residue on the tube.  A lot of residue.  Is this a serious problem?  I am replacing the barrel, gas tube, and handguards in about a month.  Should i just hold off.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Pleeeease...HEEEELLLPP MEEEE!!!!
[>Q][>(]

Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:14:06 PM EDT
[#2]
When was the last time you cleaned you'r barrel prior to shooting? If you had even a remote amount of cleaner or lube in you'r barrel it will build high pressure and expell around the gas tube seal and cause this problem.....
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Let me get this straight,  The rifle runs, does not short stroke, and has no problem,  So since it's not broke, your going to fix it!!!!!!

The gas tube will leak at the sight tower. The part is held in by a roll pin, not screwed in with a gasket or sealer.  The system was designed to have leaks due to wear.  If the only reason that your are replacing parts is due to the leak, guess what, the new gas tube will leak just as much.

Also, I see that you didn't post about the leak at the back of the bolt, or around the carrier key to gas tube.  I guess you missed these areas.

Ok, now that I have that out of my system,  Just leave the parts alone.  All AR rifles will leak from the gas block around the gas tube.  The ones that are not leaking are just fouled/crapped up and will be the problem child when it comes time to remove the gas tube.  Be happy knowing that when it comes time to remove the gas tube, you will not need to use a pair of vise grips, bench vise and a blow torch just to get the tube off.

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Phew! (Wipe of forehead).  Thanks guys.  Yes, I probably left some CLP in the bore causing the smoke.  BTW, I'm not replacing those parts cause I think they are broke.  I am having my 16" M4gery barrel and handguards replaced with a Douglass SS 20" and a free-floating handguard by Compass Lake.  "If it ain't broke, make it better!"

Once again, thanks guys.

P.s. Dano...be nice...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top