Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2010 6:55:15 AM EDT
Was thinking about picking one up. Primary use will be for backtracking and location for S&R. Thought/comments? Thanks
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:55:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:06:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a few Foretex 401's.

I have a new awesome GPS phone.

The foretrex kick ass compared to the phone when you get up in the mountains.

I love the foretrex and use it to keep track of all sorts of information on the trail, where camp is, where I am heading, etc.

Love it.

Used the foretrex systems in the Corps too... great!

Semper Fidelis,

Kent
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#3]
It would be for CONUS, I actually had to use the compass and gps on my phone once and was glad I had it with me.  I would just like a dedicated unit for location and tracking.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:14:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got an older model. Used it for hiking and whatnot and it was great. Tiny, didn't feel weird on my wrist, battery life seemed fine, easy to use. Plus, since you still needed a map, it didn't feel like I was 'cheating'.

The strap was garbage though but there's aftermarket set ups for that.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:10:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I use the 401 here in afghanistan all the time.  Its probably my most useful piece of kit.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:29:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 401 and use it for hiking and climbing and it works great.  I would like to find an aftermarket strap for it though.  The one that comes with it is fair, but I am sure there is better.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:34:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Another quick question if someone can answer it.  I have searched around a bit and can't really get a straight answer as to if you can enter coordinates( longitude / latitude ) for example if Im given long and lat of a point can I enter them and nav to that location with this unit or the 301? Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:39:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Another quick question if someone can answer it.  I have searched around a bit and can't really get a straight answer as to if you can enter coordinates( longitude / latitude ) for example if Im given long and lat of a point can I enter them and nav to that location with this unit or the 301? Thanks.

I'm like 99% sure you can enter lat/long, but I know for a fact you can enter grids. One thing to be aware of is that, at least some, of the foretrex 401 don't read the correct grid. Mine reads around 180m off on the northing compared to a DAGR and the other two garmins guys use in my platoon (they all match within 1m). Garmin told me it's a firmware issue.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 9:13:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyone have a good source for a cheap Foretrex?
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 9:20:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Amazon has the 401 for 180 and the 301 for 135.  Thats where I have been looking
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top