Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 8/6/2002 3:24:06 PM EST
Alright! I'm now eligible to purchase from the CMP. A Garand is an obvious choice, and I will be ordering one. I also want one of the M1903 or A3 Springfield rifles, before they sell out (which they are well on their way to doing).

My questions are, which are better to order? I know the difference between the S stock and the C stock, but I don't know which would be better for that rifle, as far as usability, and authenticity of the rifle. What about manufacturers? Also, what are the main differences between the 1903 and the 1903A3? Which is more desireable?

On the Garands, I'm assuming that the Service Grade rifles are the ones to buy? What about manufacturers on these rifles? And should I look at the Danish issue rifles, or stick with the non-Danish issue? Which is more desireable for this rifle?

In both of these rifles, I'm looking for a good shooter, but also one that I will be able to pass on to kids/grandkids. Thanks for your time!

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 3:48:24 PM EST
The bad news is the most desirable 03 and 03a3's with the C stocks are gone.

The higher number 03's are apparently still available..though I believe the 03A3's are going fast too.

The Danish Service Grade Garands with the VAR Barrels are good deals, though the Winchesters may have a long waiting list.

The rack grands Danes are a bigger gamble..though some have reportedly turned up pretty decent.

The best bet for a single shooter purpose is a Service Grade Springfield.

But the bad news remains, the most desirable 03's and 03a3's are already gone, and the most desirable Garands are expected to be back-logged several months, if not into next year.

Check out http://www.jouster.com/cgi-bin/garand/garand.pl for the wizards of the CMP!
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 3:53:53 PM EST
The main difference between the 03 and 03A3 is the rear sights. The 03 sight is mounted forward of the receiver and is a sliding V notch with a flip up ladder with a very small peep. The 03A3 has a peep sight mounted on the rear of the receiver. Both are windage and elevation adjustable. Also the 03's were made with milled parts and the 03A3's have stamped parts. Either is a very fine rifle, with the sights on the 03A3 a little easier to use.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 6:09:11 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/6/2002 6:10:53 PM EST by eswanson]
I've heard from a bunch of people that have gotten the 1903's that some of them are in very rough shape. The 1903A3's are supposedly in better shape as a group, although I'm sure there are exceptions in both cases.

I think you have a better chance of getting a decent gun if you order an 03A3.

edited cuz I can't seem to work the board code tonite.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 6:12:31 PM EST
Being that the 03A3s are stamped instead of milled... Is there a quality difference that I'd have to worry about? There aren't any reliability issues with stamped vs. milled parts, are there?

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 8:43:11 PM EST
Gloftoe, the 1903A3 stamped parts are the small items on the rifle. Like the bands on the stocks for one example. There is no realiability issues with the A3s. I have an A3 and love it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 2:29:08 PM EST
Top Top