Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 8:36:48 PM EDT
I am not posting this as a WWT/WTS ad, yet. It's just something I have been thinking about lately.
I have a Springfield Armory M1 Garand. It is a good rifle, but Garands are not tack drivers and not the best choice for hunting.
I have, off and on, wanted an AR15 for matches, plinking, varmint hunting, etc. I have a Swede M38 and a Swiss K31 I can use for bigger game.
My question is: would a Garand be a fair value trade for a used AR15? I haven't kept up with the AR prices in a while. I spend most of my time moderating on the C&R forum and haven't visited here much lately.
I would just buy an AR but I have been spending my money on a SA Custom Loaded stainless .45acp and a Ruger Mk2 .22 pistol.
Thanks,
Jim
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:01:58 AM EDT
[#1]
One mans trash is another mans treasure.

I don't see why you couldn't trade although I wouldn't take the first offer.  There's a lot of folks out there that are pretty much AR rich and might do a great trade just to sidestep the perceived CMP hassles.  I wouldn't expect a Bushmaster or Armalite, but there's a lot of great AR's besides those.  My $500. Oly needed a little TLC to get it in great shape, but it was always a shooter and I did what I could, in steps, when I had the money.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:27:52 AM EDT
[#2]
My 2 cents...a point to consider.

I had an AR10T (.308) set up for match shooting by the previous owner. I bought a A-4 upper for it to take hunting and plinking. The 10T shot amazingly well, sub-moa's, the A-4 shot 1-2 moa. They were fun, but they just didn't connect with me for some reason (one reaason, they were fussy about ammo). The Garand in some strange way, has hit a deeper cord with me. Garanditis I got and I'm not looking for a cure. I even prefered my Mini-14 over shooting a AR15's.

A .30 caliber semi for some reason to me is more fun then a .223 semi.  Just be careful, one you sell it, it is gone.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#3]
There are a whole lot of variables to your proposition.

How rare or collectable is your Garand?

What is the condition of it? Barrel, stock, etc.

What exact type, make and model of AR are you wanting?

You are really going to have to be very exact in what you have and what you want. Be careful if the deal is not face to face. Both parties have to be happy and if it is an interstate deal you will have to go through FFL's on both ends. Trading can be good and it can be very bad.

Another alternative is to sell your Garand outright and take the cash and just buy an AR, new or used.

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a Springfield Armory in good condition. I think this is a case of wanting it being more fun than having it.
What would I like? I would love a CAR15, or M4, or whatever is equilavent. I haven't kept up with all the changes, but I figure even a basic AR15 can be changed around- buttstocks, barrels, etc. I want something with good accuracy that can be more versatile- matches, varmints, etc.
Basically a sub moa rifle that is cheap and can take rabbits or buffalo with free ammo.
The Garand isn't as much fun as I thought.
I have someone local interested.
Jim
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:09:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a local trade pending. Thanks to everyone who has emailed about it.
Jim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top