Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2006 12:00:32 AM EDT
Who does garand rebuilding for a decent price?    I'm planning to order up a rifle from CMP and would like to have it given the once over, bead blasted and reparked.   I'll buy some new wood to throw on as well.   The bore condition is not terribly important as long as it's not totally trashed so hopefully I wont need to go with the expense of rebarrelling.    I want to wind up with a new looking decent shooter.   I dont shoot matches but would like to be able to tag clay pigeons at 100yds or so and have a nice rifle to do it with.    Something that can go on the gun rack and be displayed with pride.   Restored to look military new or as close to it as possible.

Any reccomended shops to do the work?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:05:34 AM EDT
[#1]

For everything you plan on doing to it, the only thing left is what you claim to not care about, the ME/TE.

I CMP hand-picked mine strictly by ME/TE, and it is a shooting sonofagun. We shot clays/clay bits with her today, hell someone tied a string downrange and the guys were making that jump with it.

I know mine is a great shooter, and a $120 stock set and a repark and she is good as new. I would personally advise you to rethink your barrel thoughts. They guys at CMP were calling the ones with higher ME/TE numbers "muzzleloaders".

Good Luck!

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:16:19 AM EDT
[#2]
So the barrels are crap?   Damn, what's a rebarrel run?  

I've got no experience with CMP rifles, how do you go about the hand pick and such?

Should I be looking to spend a few extra bucks on the Field grade over the rack grade?

Try not to be too hard on me here, it'll be my first experience with the M1.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:44:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Warbird does great work.   He redid my Polytech with all USGI parts.  I love it.

Here is his link
http://warbirdscustomguns.com/

Max
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:52:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I would go with a Field Grade AT LEAST.  Best bet is to go with a Service Grade.  If you want a Rack Grade to meet your criteria, I wouldn't get one unless you can pick it out at the North Store.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:22:27 AM EDT
[#5]
A rebarrel will run you about $250 depending on barrel. Ted Brown is in Oregon and has a very good rep. You can rebarrel in 30-06 or .308. Best thing is decide what you want to use it for and build accordingly.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Also don't forget Deans Gun Restorations www.dgrguns.com   he does excellent work and reasonable prices....
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:55:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Ronnie Morris
Match Service Works
422 Maple St.
Madison, TN 37115

615-868-4567

[email protected]

Great work at reasonable prices with fast delivery times!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top