Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2003 2:43:55 PM EDT
Hey guys, sent my CMP paperwork off last week for a Service Grade SA Garand. Got some cleaning supplies and grease from ordered as well as some korean ammo from ammoman for familiarization/function checking. Anything else I might want to get before the rifle comes?

I saw a thread about CMP garands last time I was lurking here, but it seems to have dropped off. How much clean-up do these rifles require when you receive them?

I'm praying the 2-3 week shipping on them is still true. to the CMP and to the FedEx driver. I hope it gets here before I have to move so desertmoon can show me his M1 tricks.

Really can't wait, I feel like the guy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 2:50:21 PM EDT
[#1]
clips! and lots of them

and, IF CMP doesn't include the manual (but I think they do) you'd be wise to have a copy of one.

congrats!
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 3:53:49 PM EDT
[#2]
As far as cleanup goes the last SA/SG I got in Feb. was lightly oiled,no grease anywhere, I field stripped it, tightened up the gas cylinder, give the bore a once-over with a brush and cleaning patches,greased up the receiver, and was pretty much ready to go... you might want to look at a muzzel guide of some kind for the cleaning rod, also when you get it check the gas cylinder for play,(sideways,back&forth) most are loose, if it is, you'll have to tighten it up,if you want it to shoot better, look over at www.jouster.com best board for the M1/M1a, click on "Lanes Tips" at top of page, lots of tips you can do yourself (like tigthening up a gas cyl.)lots of info over there, well worth lurking, and don't be afrid to ask questions those guys will help..
Also check and see if stock fits tight, grab it by the barrel(other hand on stock) and see if you can detect any forward or back play, and any sideways play, alot of stocks on these rifles are 50-60 yrs old, and many are oil-soaked, the wood is compressed and the rifle won't lock up tight, you can shim it, (again, Lanes Tips on the jouster board) and make it work, then again maybe you'll get one with a nice stock..... you can never tell... last , READ the manual the CMP sends with it it's well written and will help you alot, lot's of clear pictures, one thing's for sure, you'll love the "CHING" sound as the clip comes out on the last round...nothing like it!!
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 4:35:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Hamburger Train,

Re cleanup...

Expect anything from needing a light cleaning and re-lube to a complete breakdown and soaking in mineral spirits to remove 2 pounds of old cosmoline and grease.

I own numerous Garands from the CMP.  They arrive in both extremes and every stage in between.

good luck,
Swampy
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 4:39:03 AM EDT
[#4]
this is cool.
i just shot my service rifle match and i need to get the bulletin and i will be able to send in my paperwork.  good luck!
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 11:41:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I just wanted to add that while my SG SA was in outstanding condition, this afternoon  I discovered that the rear sight had a lot of gunk in it.  I disassembled the rear sight and cleaned the gears and bearing points.   The knobs turn much smoother now.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 11:16:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Fulton Armory has a great deal on reloadable 30-06 ammo with clips.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:13:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Fulton Armory has a great deal on reloadable 30-06 ammo with clips.

Aim has the same ammo for $96.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 9:58:10 AM EDT
[#8]
The credit cards was finally hit today! I called to confirm the order and they told me it was "finished up yesterday" and to expect the rifle in a week to 10 days...I was so happy to hear that I forgot to ask for a tracking number.
Is that 'week to 10 days' stuff a CYA in case of shipping problems? I thought they were sent out 2day FedEx or something like that. It's been a long month since I sent in my paperwork and I missed the 2 week turnaround times for the SG SA's.
Pics and such when it gets here...
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:57:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The credit cards was finally hit today! I called to confirm the order and they told me it was "finished up yesterday" and to expect the rifle in a week to 10 days...I was so happy to hear that I forgot to ask for a tracking number.
Is that 'week to 10 days' stuff a CYA in case of shipping problems? I thought they were sent out 2day FedEx or something like that. It's been a long month since I sent in my paperwork and I missed the 2 week turnaround times for the SG SA's.
Pics and such when it gets here...

Who did you order from?  From most folks it's 10 BUSiNESS days from order.   I.E. the weekends don't count.  Shipping in 2 business days is for pistols.  For rifles you need to wait unless you pay for the difference....
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:18:32 PM EDT
[#10]
CMP ships their rifles via FedEx Overnight. They only ship Monday thru Thursday so the rifles will arrive Tuesday thru Friday.

CMP is the "best kept secret" in shooting these days, IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:34:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I talked the folks at CMP South today who will actually be shipping the rifle. They said it will go out Monday, should have it Tuesday.

I feel bad for having to call and chase it, but I'm moving across the country Thursday and needed to know if it will be here in time, or to change the shipping address to Louisiana.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#12]
HamburgerTrain-

Enjoy your Garand! All that walnut, parkerized steel, and gun oil...they're truly a genuine piece of American History.

BTW- Check out jouster.com for a really in-depth discussion board for the M1 Garand. Lots of very knowledgeable folks over there.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 10:46:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Yep, I used to be a high tech sort of guy, tricking out my AR for service competition, but after FedEx delivered my Garand that all changed.

I remember saying, "I get it now."

There's just something about that 60 year old walnut and forged steel that's just magical, like a voice out of the past.  Man, if these things could talk...
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 12:05:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I know what you mean FishKepr. I love my AR's but I'll never forget the first time I shot a Garand and thought "Holy s*%t! THIS is badass!". The hefty weight, the super solid feel of it,  and that oh so lovely 'pa-ting' of the ejected clip.
I think the Garand will be the semi-auto of what I consider my VZ24 to be with the bolt guns -- it's not the newest or high-tech but when you shoot it, it just feels right.
It's also gonna be nice to take 3 contemporaries from WW2 out at once, Mauser, Garand, and Mosin-Nagant. I'd think even a shooting newbie will realize rather quickly after shooting all 3 how and why our guys kicked so much ass.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#15]
My father carried one while in the Army in the early 60's before switching to the M14. This old war horse grows on you. Ive got all mine through CMP and from a looks brand new to kinda rough.I will say the Kinda rough will out shoot all my others. Its a 1941 Winchester.It has a VAR barrel on it from the Danish. Although I personally can't prove it , theres no dout she has been on the battle field.We couldn't make anough of these in the early war.We still made 1903's at that point because we couldn't get anough M1's out.Oh yeah if should could only talk............WarDawg
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Came in fairly early this morning, and I just got it all back together, lol. It was exactly what I expected and wanted - a big mutt of USGI parts. Seems to be about half SA and half IHC with a nice looking barrel so I'm off to go shoot the hell out of it.

Receiver serial is 5,975,XXX don;t know how old that makes it, all the parkerizing still looks good, should have range report tonight with pics if I can find a host. No 2 numbers match on it, so I hope it makes a good shooter.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:29:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I think a 5.9 receiver would be middle fifty's,over on the jouster board, www.jouster.com  they have a link to check the serial number and get it to the month it was made,Sounds like a good one,
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 2:04:32 PM EDT
[#18]
5,975,xxx =

Springfield Armory 1955-57

Guess I could add the source:

www.jouster.com/serial/assigned.html
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 2:42:22 PM EDT
[#19]
HamburgerTrain good job on the Garand.

ED
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Some pics here.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:05:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks like you got a nice one, HT!

My son and I should be sending off for ours next month. Hope they look as good as yours.

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:41:27 AM EDT
[#22]
You did very well, looks great, stock looks good too,doesn't look dinged up, nice D.O.D. stamp on it I see, you said it has a nice bore too, great! should be a good shooter, are the legs of the receiver marked with any rebuild dates? looks like a fresh rebuild...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top