Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2004 5:42:37 PM EDT
Went to the range the other day and fired my Garand.  It has developed a feeding problem.  Once or twice a clip (ha! I can use the word clip because that's what it is) a round fails to feed into the chamber.  I line the sights up, pull the trigger and the weapon goes click.  Look at the bolt and the bolt is fine, it's closed and in battery.  When I pull the bolt back, the chamber is empty, the round didn't even get picked up.  When I release the bolt, the bullet is picked up and the weapon fires normally.  This does not occur on the same round, sometimes it will be the third round in the clip, sometimes the fifth, it differs.

The op rod spring has just been replaced.

It's a Winchester with a SA bolt assembly, and it has been rebarreled by Arlington Ordanance, (never heard of them)  The weapon has been fired before several times with no problem prior to this weekend.

Used pre loaded clips I obtained from different places.  One set of clips I got from JG Sales in Prescott, I don't remember what the brand was, and the second set was the Korean surplus from www.ammoman.com, it was from the corrisve but no KB headstamp.

Is this a common problem with the Garand?  What should I look for as the cause, or how should I go about remedying this?

Thank you
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:04:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the gun assembled correctly?

Is it short-stroking?  Is the gas plug on the end of the gas cylinder tight?  Is the gas cylinder aligned and tight on the barrel?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Is the gun assembled correctly?

Is it short-stroking?  Is the gas plug on the end of the gas cylinder tight?  Is the gas cylinder aligned and tight on the barrel?

It seems to be assembled correctly, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.  Next time I go to the range, I will double check the gas cylinder.  

Short stroking is where the bolt doesn't go all the way back?  Not sure if it was, but I don't think so.  How could I tell?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:08:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#4]
You guys are awesome.  Checked out my Garand, and the gas cylinder plug was a little loose.  I could have sworn that I checked it, but maybe I didn't.  Will shoot it some more and report back.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:40:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top