Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2002 12:10:42 PM EDT
Just interested in seeing why some people like putting all kinds of stuff on their guns.  IE surefire light system, SIR rail mounting system, red dot, night vision, mag holder, night sights, sling systems, etc..

Unless you are LEO or Military is there any reason other than the Cool factor?

What is actually a need?

I just want to see your opinions.

Max
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 1:37:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I think its mostly the cool factor thing, everybody wants to be the special forces/delta operator with the coolest gun. Personally, I think all that crap takes the handiness out of the rifle. A good set of realistic iron sights and a decent sling are all you really need. Speaking of realistic, I think we all need to really assess just what it is we need that rifle to do, and our ability to make it do it. I believe that all that money spent on gadgets would be better spent on ammo, and then really learn how to shoot using realistic positions and ranges. Practice makes almost perfect. So practice a lot.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 2:21:34 PM EDT
[#2]
You can always justify putting cool toys on your AR, as many (not all) have practical purposes.  The light, for example, is extremely useful, and the cost can easily be justified.  Night Vision, however, is extremely useful, but difficult to justify since GenIII models can run the cost of three pre-ban rifles or five post-ban rifles.  I'm not a fan of the vertcal foregrip for semiauto, but the FA guys seem to like them.  The entire series of rail systems (RIS, RAS, SIR, SMIRSH,  SPLAT) can be justified if you have the cash.  My rule of thumb is to keep everything within budget and prioritize.  My two girls and their educations come first, so I'm relatively poorly equipped compared to some other AR owners I've seen.  Best rule:  If you can't afford it, you can't afford it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 2:23:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Seriuosly, some of the crap i've seen people put on their guns probably doubles the weight. And all that money spent? I'd just buy more guns with it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 2:43:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Seriuosly, some of the crap i've seen people put on their guns probably doubles the weight. And all that money spent? I'd just buy more guns with it.

Good for you.... then do it. Personally. I like some of my add on toys. I try to be realistically practical with them. Surefire.... There are few things more important that target identification. If you have to confront someone in your home or on your property and it is dark night sights alone won't cut it. You need to be sure of WHAT your target is not just where it is. Are they armed? Are they a real threat? Is it really an intruder or is it your teenage son sneaking back in late at night? Can you use the blinding light as a "force option" that will end an otherwise deadly force encounter without shots being fired? As for optics and rails and that stuff. I have some on one my rifles.... and they're fun.... and I like them.... and they make it look cool.... get over it. My truly functional rifle is a Pre-ban Bushy M4 with a surefire and a 1.5x24 Compact ACOG and a basic tac-sling. It is what I practice with and it does what I want it to do.

In closing... if all you do is go out to the range and shoot during the day. Fine, no need for any gadgets really. But if you want your rifle/carbine to do double duty as a home defense weapon or SHTF weapon then seriously consider some kind of a light source that attaches to your rifle. If you've ever had the opportunity to actually shoot with your rifle in low/zero light then you know where I am coming from. Even the most "non-mall-ninja" type people I know that shoot an Standard iron sighted M1A with a GI sling and use a canvas GI mag pouch for our weekly rifle leage really wish they had a weapon light when the lights go out.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#5]
As for lights, one could just duck tape a flashlight to an AR.... flash lights costs like 30 dollars max, you could get those aluminum maglite stuff if you are concerned about durability (AR's dont recoil that much...) lasers... dont see the point other than that it gives you away in a real fight, besides at extended distences I dont think you will see the laser. nightvision scopes, good if you shoot in the dark... but expensive as hell. scopes are great for use in long range combats, but then scopes also narrows your field of view and makes it harder to find your target. Red dot is real nice since they make it easy to find the target, and the dot makes it easier to shoot in low light condition... Some of us like me have a problem with gear aqquisiton syndrome, we just want more gears... I should be spending more on ammo so I can shoot better...
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 3:42:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I would love to have a light for the reason Darkhelmit stated.  I currently have an Aimpoint on my 16" AR15, again for the reasons Darkhelmet stated..plus other reasons.  With the Aimpoint I can easily shoot better than iron sights at 100 yards plus I have much faster target aquisition.  If you don't like Aimpoints or ACOG sights it is probably because you have never used them.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 3:48:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Someone smarter than I once said...

"When you make a gun good for everything, it's usually good for nothing"
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Who said that?
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 5:13:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Some people have "gadgets" because they need them, some because they like them, some because they heard they needed them, and some people just have them.  Some people have lots of guns, some people want to get good with the one they have, some people can't afford more that one or 2.  Who know.  It's your gun(s) and your money, do with as you please (legally of course).
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 8:11:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm sorry if you have never tried an Aimpoint or other red dot you will not understand. It makes shooting much more enjoyable for me.. Now the Knights RAS and foregrip that is just for fun and looks..
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Now the Knights RAS and foregrip that is just for fun and looks..

Not at all.  The Vertical Grip is a more comfortable way to hold your gun.  It's easier to steady, and you won't feel the heat comming off your barrel. It also allows an easier way to manipulate a light source other than having to use a corded pressure sensor that may snag, get cut or just not work.  you have the light mounted right in frount of the vertical grip and you can turn on the light with your knuckle.

Now the Rail systems...I think most people can get away with a bottom rail on their handguard. I mean all you really need is a Vertical Grip, and a light.  The only exception would be with a fixed carry handle, where you could use the top rail for the optics.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top