Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2003 7:58:00 AM EDT
I'm looking at buying a vest for use during guns classes, 3-gun matches and the like.  I will NOT be rapelling from helos into hot LZs etc. I don't want to spend a fortune (ie more than $150) but would like something that will hold up.

So i guess i'm looking for something that will hold a few mags of whatever rifle i'm using (FAL or AR these days), a pouch for SG shells, a hangun mag pouch, someplace to put a few first aid items and wallet, and camelback compatibility.  Also needs to be as cool as possible.

I've been looking at the Eagle TAC-V1-N-A vest.  anyone have any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I really like my MAV from tactical tailor.  You can buy just the vest portion for $55+shipping then buy whatever pouches you want/need.  It uses MOLLE/PALS webbing to attach pouches which means you can pretty much get whatever pouches you want from whatever manufacturers you want.  Quality is very good and it's made in America.

The one note I would make is that it may not fit well if you're very thin.  If you've got a 30 or 32 inch waist and are not wearing a jacket or body armor under it then the 2 piece may not tighten down enough to fit.  I've got a 36 inch waist and the 2 peice MAV only has a couple inches of adjustment left to get smaller.

On the other hand, if you're on the 'hefty' side then it may be just the thing.  I trimmed something like a foot of excess strap off the back after I adjusted it to my torso.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 10:16:30 AM EDT
[#2]
excellant suggestion hoplophile.  SO i guess pouches attach with alice clips?  One of the reasons i was looking at the eagle vest was that it seemed like it might keeps things more stable than a strap type construction like the MAV.  Does your stuff stay put when your moving about or does it tend to shift around?

I like the modular approach, TT has a good rep and it looks like it would be cooler than a mesh vest.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 11:51:10 AM EDT
[#3]
The MAV itself just has the webbing so you can use any attachment system

TT uses MALICE clips for their pouches.  They are large, full length plastic clips that hold the pouches securely.  If you're in NoVA we can get together and I'll let you check it out.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 3:07:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#5]
sinistral, did you use TT pouches as well?  Man a match that requires more than 4 total pistol mags and 5 total AR mags per stage could make a man go broke!

BTW are those tactical gaiters on your ankles?
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 3:46:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 5:12:10 PM EDT
[#7]
SR,

TT MAV vest
OD green C5 handguards
Safariland tac holster.

Replace that Glock with a Kimber and I'd say that we shop at all the same stores.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 9:32:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree with Hoplophile, about both the Tactical Tailor MAV 2-piece and the Kimber.

Cheers,
DR
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 10:56:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 1:06:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't mind the hijack lightfighter i just wished you had posted some of your considerable expertise (especially since i'll probably buy a vest and camelback from you soonly).

Congratulations on the FFL!
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Stick with the Glock 21......skip the 1911

4. MEU (SOC) .45- These weapons are notorious for stoppages caused by broken parts. The following replacement parts are essential for deploying Plt. armorer: buffer pads, spring guide rods, barrel bushings, springs, extractors, firing pins, firing pin springs, firing pin stop plates. The 15th MEU did not have an armorer qualified to work on our pistols.  With these parts generally any problem that arose with the pistols could be fixed. The most likely problem that cannot be repaired by the Plt. armorer is broken barrel-locking lugs. This problem is caused in part by use of the hot TZZ ammunition and the fact that the slide lock pin used with the Sure-Fire light it not custom fit to the weapon. This creates play in the pin and places excessive strain on the barrel-locking lug.

Replacement of the buffer pad about every 300 rounds also significantly reduces wear on the extractors and spring/guide assembly.  This prevents many of the malfunctions from occurring. Locktight on the rear sights was helpful as the adjustable rear sight has a tendency to vibrate itself loose. In the past we have sent Marines to LAPD SWAT to work with the armomers and learn how to repair common problems. We coated the front sight with a high visibility orange paint marker. This seemed to speed up sight acquisition especially during low visibility.

Link Posted: 8/1/2003 9:05:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Innocent,

What you say doesn't surprise me at all.  When I first saw the specs a while back I wondered why they were buying range pistols for field use.  Adjustable sights on a fighting pistol?  WTF?  Put some fixed sights on them like they're supposed to have and leave the Loctite at home.

The base model Kimber with fixed sights and matte finish is a good start.  And from there any parts changes should be 'backward'.  Stubby guide rod, arched mainspring housing with lanyard ring, etc.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:03:10 AM EDT
[#13]
SinistralRifleman,

What kind of sling are you using with the C5 handguards.  Every 3 point sling I have tried (even the slings that say they are made for the M4 handguards) has been too small for the C5 hand guards.

Thanks

Link Posted: 8/2/2003 12:16:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 7:12:15 PM EDT
[#15]
you can also get a side sling mount for the front sight tower (if you're not using a flip up) to avoid sling issues with the C5.  the C5 isn't even slightly tapered (like a C4/M4), so most commercial slings will not fit (like the Wilderness one!)
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 9:06:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Stick with the Glock 21......skip the 1911

4. MEU (SOC) .45- These weapons are notorious for stoppages caused by broken parts.

Hmmmm...do you think the MEU(SOC) might be notorious for broken parts because they suck, or because FR operators put somewhere between 30,000 and 60,000 rounds through them between workups and deployments?

My almost box-stock Kimber has ~24,000 rounds through it, and the only thing that's broken in all that time is the magazine release spring retention screw.

As I recall, Kimber hasn't had to do any mass recalls of their products lately.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top