Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/26/2002 9:08:53 AM EDT
I want to get a .308 assault type rifle. I already have an M1A, so please don't suggest that. I REALLY like the way the G3 looks, but I don't know how it performers. Can anyone offer their suggestions? I'd like comparisons from people who actually OWN one or two of these rifles. Not their cousins brothers opinion of what he said.

I'm looking more for reliability, rather than super groups. I'd like under 3 MOA.

I'm going to probably build whatever it is from a kit, so and advice on how hard/easy each rifle is would be helpful too.

Also I'm going to scope it, which is the easiest and best to scope?

Like I said, I really like the G3, is the Springfield copy any good? Is it worth the extra $$? Thanks
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 12:31:42 PM EDT
The FAL, L1A1, STG's, and the DSA's are all the same rifles for the most part. If you go to www.l1a1.com/ you will get some good info there on thse style rifls.

The G3, HK91, and CETME rifles are pretty close also. I know there is a website for the HK stuff but I don't have that address.

I prefer the FAL style rifles myself. I have had better luck with the FAL versions then the HK versions.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 12:51:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SKSBoy:
I want to get a .308 assault type rifle. I already have an M1A, so please don't suggest that. I REALLY like the way the G3 looks, but I don't know how it performers. Can anyone offer their suggestions? I'd like comparisons from people who actually OWN one or two of these rifles. Not their cousins brothers opinion of what he said.

I'm looking more for reliability, rather than super groups. I'd like under 3 MOA.

I'm going to probably build whatever it is from a kit, so and advice on how hard/easy each rifle is would be helpful too.

Also I'm going to scope it, which is the easiest and best to scope?

Like I said, I really like the G3, is the Springfield copy any good? Is it worth the extra $$? Thanks

I have one of those damned Century HK-91 copies that absolutly KICKS GODDAMNED ASS! It has never ever ever jammed on me, it has the federal arms heavy receiver with intregal scope rail which is the exact same receiver the SA used on their last runs of the SAR-8 (thats what I think they called it)which is their HK-91 copy. I heard that it's pretty much a crap shoot with Century though, some have gotten good rifles and some have gotten shit ones. The recoil is more like a gental push, real easy to handle. No gas system to keep clean, and it kicks brass out of the gun about 20 feet. That's no lie brass acutally flies 20 feet or more. You can find mags for as little as 5 bones so that rocks. I also have an M-1A, FAL, and I like all of the ones you just named. If you go with the HK-91 clone you won't be disapointed my friend!

ROCK ON!
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 12:55:02 PM EDT
I saw a used CETME sporter for about $450 at a local gun shop... is something like that worth it? I'm also interested in adding a battle rifle for those 200yds+ engagement ranges... I have the BM shorty for CQB to 200yds.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 12:58:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:
I know there is a website for the HK stuff but I don't have that address.

www.hkpro.com
www.hk91.com

I have never shot a FAL of any kind, but I have shot both a HK91 (which I own) and a SAR-8. The SAR has malfunction every now and then, but overall, it's not a bad rifle.

If you go with a parts gun, get a FMP receiver for the G3. It's made with HK tooling, just not at the HK plant. The others can be hit and miss. The FMP receivers are getting hard to find, so you may pay extra, but I think you'll find it's worth it in the end.

The HK91 has pretty stout recoil, unless you go with a heavier buffer. I have the G3 Heavy Bufer in mine, which came with my G3SG1 stock.

I would absolutely stay away from the CETME's unless you have money to burn...they are pretty hit and miss.

As for the scope...go here aimsurplus.com/acatalog/AIM_Accessories_11.html and purchase this scope/claw mount combo. Mine was a $100 more when I bought it, but I don't think it had ever been used. Everything on it looked brand spanking new.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 1:02:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Spearweasel:
I saw a used CETME sporter for about $450 at a local gun shop... is something like that worth it? I'm also interested in adding a battle rifle for those 200yds+ engagement ranges... I have the BM shorty for CQB to 200yds.

The CETME is the spanish version of the HK-91. As a matter of fact the CETME came out first and HK copied it. The engineer who designed the rifle was a German who escaped to spain after WWII and made the rifle for the spanish military. Then HK started to make it after the war. $450 sounds a bit on the high side, look in Shotgun News, some companies were selling them for like $389 new.

ROCK ON!
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 5:39:06 PM EDT
SKSBoy,

I've got a S.A. SAR8 and a Centery L1Al (FAL) built on an Imbel receiver.

The SAR8 is a clone/copy of the HK91. Mine is based upon the aluminum receiver with the scope rail. I know that this seems cheesy, but they did use new, "un-used" HK parts kits for every thing else. My gun had never been fired, and has worked well after break-in and with HK mags. It does not like the CETME mags at all. It is much more accurate than I am, but I've not done any bench-rest testing for MOA. This is one serious gun, but is not as ergonomic as the FAL. HK mags are now cheap, but HK parts are not! It has reasonable recoil, but I can feel the heavy bolt /trunion cycling. It takes some getting used to. Great heavy-duty rifle that you never want to be looking at the business end. Very easy to scope.

My Century L1A1 is a typical "frankin-FAL", meaning that the parts come from wherever, whoever, on a metric Imbel receiver with an inch-pattern parts kit. You can assume that these are used parts on a new steel receiver. It feels lighter than the SAR8, but length is about the same. Mags are cheap, and scope mounts are $15-$45, depending on type. It shoots well and feels smoother than the SAR8 since it doesn't have as much mass cycling. You do have to adjust the gas regulator when you change ammo types. This is easily done, but you will likely have jams until you get it right, generaly 3 to 5 rounds. The FAL is a little more comfortable to shoot and carry, and it has the bolt-hold-open-after-last-round feature that none of the HK91 clones will have.

I believe that the FAL's have been used by nearly every non-commie country at one time or another, except the US of A. Even the free Germans used it until they could build enough of the HK's to equip their forces.

About 30 countries have used the HK, and you better believe that there is nothing that the Germans take more seriously than the weapons that they make for their army!

I reccomend that you try firing each type to find which one suits you best, or buy both!
I also strongly suggest that you inspect each prospective CETME, HK91 clone, or FAL very carefully as they are almost always built on spare or used parts. Tear it down, check everything. If the seller objects, move on. DSA makes some new FAL's with new parts, and are supposedly quite good.

There are specific FAL and HK boards that will have more info and opinions than you could ever want.

You're name reminds me that I've not shot my SKS for three years! I'll have to remedy that soon. Great rifle, not terribly accurate, but never fails to fire.

Regards, Pepper
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 8:06:59 PM EDT
I have one of the Century CETMEs built on the Hessie receiver. It has the HK style drum sight which is adjustable for windage. The Century stainless receiver is not adjustable for windage on the rear sight.

I have put 400 rounds through mine with zero problems. Mine is in almost perfect shape, but the stock is a bit beat up and the disassembly pins are junk. I can keep 1.5" to 2" groups at 100 yards off a sand bag.

I will be replacing my stock set with the Century G3 stock set and an HK91 fore stock with the integrated bipod. I will also be destroying that damm muzzle break and adding a fake flash suppressor. It is just too loud now. I purchased 20 new 20 round mags from Tapco @ $5.00 each. The gun shoots well and is accurate enough. Since the stock set is foreign made now, replacing half of it with a US made stock should keep the parts count high enough. On one of the other boards a member has contacted the ATF to confirm this. I think the only possible problem with this is the parts count.

Rumor has it that the new Century rifles are far better now, but it is still a gamble on whether you get a good one or not. SOG has them at dealer cost for $369. I also heard that the new rifles stocks are fair to poor quality wise.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 8:21:55 PM EDT
All of them!!!!!

I own all of the rifles on your list. The have there pros and cons.

HK-91, A man's rifle that will kick. No gas system to ever get blocked.
FAL-(metric) adjustable gas system, long buttstock and a snap to clean.
FAL-(INCH) same as above, but parts are harder to find, and must use a INCH mag.

As for building one up, Go with the FAL(Metric).
You can install the barrel yourself and does not require any welding, soldering, or drilling of holes. The hardest part is indexing the barrel and checking for head space.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:01:26 PM EDT
CETME is precursor to the hkG3 (HK91)
they are both dealyed blowback mechanisms...
basically the locking mechanism are rollers that are pushed into recesses on the barrel extention (trunnion)
upon firing, a locking piece that pushes the rollers out into the locked position moves rearward releasing the rollers after the pressure peak has occurred. rearward movement of the bolt follow allowing the rifle to cycle...
generally not very finicky as to ammuniton it is fed. just beats the brass up significantly so if you reload this is a consideration..barrel is free floating

FAL is gas operated..therefore less perceived recoil but gas adjustmenst necessary to get proper cycling with different pressure loads..disadvantge in that rear site is fixed to stock and front site of course to barrel so lockup of front to rear (pivots like an AR) is crital...if it doesnt lock the same EVERY time, the sights are off as a result

my preference is the cetme/G3/Hk91 series..i find them to be very dependable (which the FAL is also) and extremely SIMPLE..FAL have bolts and nuts and pieces all over the place whereas G3 have non of that...just a personal preference and for every HK lover you wil find at probalby more than one FAL lover

i own a g3 and not a FAL becasue of reasons stated above

Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:13:02 PM EDT
My cousin recently bought one of the Century FAL clones that everyone warns about. I guess he got lucky, because after he got the gas port set, it has never jammed since. It is a great, handy rifle, and I want one too. Only complaints are the stock peep sight is too big for target work, and mounting a scope requires replacement parts. Just nitpicks really. But with that compensator, it is damn loud!
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:35:51 PM EDT
FAL. There are parts, magazines and good smith's around. Moreso than the other rifles mentioned.
Second would be the G3 but a long way down the line from the FAL.
Top Top