Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2002 7:28:04 PM EDT
Hi guys, I'm looking for you opinions.  I have a Sig 229 that I love but it's simply too big for me to conceal effectively.  I want something smaller.  I want something fun to shoot (not painful) and 45 ACP is my favorite caliber.  I am looking at both the Glock 36 and very compact 1911's like the Kimber Ultra Carry.  I was hoping you guys could share some thoughts with me.  Which do you prefer and why?
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#1]
for a second there I thought you were talking about the HK G36.

I was about to slap you.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I do like the 1911 and favor them more.But if i wanted a concealible weapon and still want to enjoy rec shooting i would go with a commander size 1911.I own one and a govt model.For a smaller conceal carry only i would go with the one i feel most comfortable with.I have not tried the smaller 1911s or glocks.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 8:25:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Lordtrader, the handguns forum is not nearly as active as this one and people frequently post about handguns here.  I figured I'd get more responses here.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#5]
1911, without a doubt.  I would suggest a full-sized Government model for a number of reasons, but won't bore the readers.  My suggestion would be to read Dave Lauck's book, 'The Tactical 1911.'  Best $20-25 you can spend BEFORE you buy a 1911...no matter how much experience you have with them.

Some of the reasons why I personally have picked the 1911 over the G36:

1) It has a slimmer grip, especially with Thin Grips on (I have a smaller hand)
2) More readily available parts, leather, mags, etc.
3) Cocked and Locked carry...the fastest possible in a defensive situation
4) SAFETIES...let's face it, if your assailant grabs your gun (it COULD happen to you) he doesn't need ANY KNOWLEDGE OF FIREARMS except to point and squeeze!  Tests have shown consistently that people unfamiliar with a particular weapon take about 10 seconds to figure out the safeties...10 seconds longer you are alive and "in the fight."
5) I think Glocks are ugly (damned reliable though).

As for concealability, my full-size 1911 conceals under a T-shirt untucked and is quite comfortable.  The holster is extremely important for concealment and comfort.  I use the Milt Sparks VersaMax2...others recommended would be Mitch Rosen and possibly Kramer leather.  Inside the Waistband is most concealable type of holster.

My thoughts...
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 2:51:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm looking for something in .45 to conceal as well. Personally I've ruled out the 1911 just because of the weight. I'm leaning towards the G36, but I still haven't decided since I haven't handled the G30. You might also look at the HK USPc in .45. I've also have been wondering about the new Taurus PT145. Most people seem to bad mouth it. The most objective reviews I read on it says it uses untested safety devices.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 3:12:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm leaning towards the G36, but I still haven't decided since I haven't handled the G30.

I'm a Glock 30 owner, and have shot the 36.  The 30 is the same frame thickness as the full size G21, while the single stack G36 is more like a glock 19 with a shortened grip. Between the two, the 36 is very much more concealable, and lighter.  Myself, I've to a 36 on my purchase list to round out my stable.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't think there is anyway I could conceal a fullsize 1911 or a USPc 45.  I can't conceal my Sig 229 which is smaller.  I do love the USPs.  I'd be hesitant to get another one though. I shoot my USPf 45 more than anything else.  When I shoot the other USPs they are very similar but the slight differences grip size mess me up.  I go to shoot them like my USPf 45 and can't hit squat.  Between that factor and the thickness of them, I'm going avoid the USPs.

Seems like peopl have good things to say about both the 1911 and the glock.

Link Posted: 2/4/2002 5:15:38 PM EDT
[#9]
how much does the glock 36 weigh?
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 5:32:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
how much does the glock 36 weigh?

Empty without magazine-20.11 oz.

Add another 6.88 oz for a full mag.

Link Posted: 2/4/2002 5:36:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Thats pretty light, how much would a colt lightweight officers model weigh?
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#12]
While you favor the .45 acp. why not consider a Glock 23, or 27 in .40 cal. I tried a compact 1911, not an alloy frame, it was great in jeans or when wearing a belt, but not for shorts that string up. (So. Fla. resident) I like what you can get in a 1911, but for down here, my G27 is almost a constant companion. Fits in my pockets, empty pocket only, light enough to put in a pair of string up shorts, w/o pulling them down. Carry the G23 and G30, depending on what I'm wearing.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 10:32:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm looking for something in .45 to conceal as well. Personally I've ruled out the 1911 just because of the weight.

To quote the ever-quotable Clint Smith (need I say more?):

"A concealed weapon is NOT supposed to COMFORTABLE...it's supposed to be COMFORTING!"

"I guarantee when it comes down to busting caps to save your life, you'll be thinking 'Why don't they make a bigger gun?!?!?!'"

Full-size is much preferable for control, accuracy, etc.  However, if you're wearing Jersey shorts...better have a spandex waistbelt or something.

As for concealing well, the 1911 is SO THIN it conceals VERY nicely, especially with a good holster combination.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#14]

3) Cocked and Locked carry...the fastest possible in a defensive situation
4) SAFETIES...Tests have shown consistently that people unfamiliar with a particular weapon take about 10 seconds to figure out the safeties...10 seconds longer you are alive and "in the fight."

The 1911 is one of the most ergonomic weapons ever created, if your hands happen to be average size. It's so simple you can literally operate it in your sleep. (Trust me on this). I've always found the positive click of the thumb saftey reassuring, to say the least.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top