Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2009 5:05:35 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/30/2009 5:06:10 AM EST by OsoGrande]
While I like the form factor of the factory carry handle and built in sight, the sight leaves a ton to be desired IMO. Its small 7mm objective lens just doesn't pull in enough light. On top of that, its like looking through a peep hole. Is it just the form factor that everyone doing these SL-8 to G36 conversions is after? Or am I missing the boat on something here?

I ended up pulling the carry handle off my G36 and installing a rail with flip up iron sights and put an ACOG on it. The difference is like having just wiped the grim off my glasses! I feel like I can see again!!!

Am I missing something? School me please.

Here's mine after the changes.

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 9:58:31 AM EST
First off gorgeous weapon, I think most people like the EOM look of the carry handle scope
I personally agree with you, that it is lacking and if I were to drop $3k+ into a G36 build I would put the G36c rail on it and a 4x ACOG
I was tempted to go the same route but decided to get a SCAR instead, less expensive and less hassle
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 10:11:35 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/30/2009 10:23:57 AM EST by hepcat85]
I don't think you're missing anything, it's just not your cup of tea. With that said, I'm sure if you ran drill and fired 3 or 4 thousand rounds with it you'd be a deadly bastard at range.

My issue was more for the dual sight. The red dot optic seemed like a waste when you could simply slap some rail surface on top and mount an Eotech or Aimpoint (which they're doing in A'stan)

As for me, I went a different route for a red dot. That's a custom design that I had made for a DrOptic mini red dot. ETA: That's my design that I had a machinist fabricate for me to my specs.

Same rifle with DocRak rail w/ factory sights. I had a Leupold CQT up on it before but use it with the factory optics now.

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 10:20:58 AM EST
I like that DR optic setup you're running. That's pretty slick.

Glad to hear I'm not missing something obvious. I just prefer a bit more field of view with more light. I kept finding the factory optic wasn't bright enough to enable me to shoot with both eyes open and when only looking through the optic I couldn't see enough for a 1x scope.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 10:26:13 AM EST
Originally Posted By OsoGrande:

Glad to hear I'm not missing something obvious. I just prefer a bit more field of view with more light. I kept finding the factory optic wasn't bright enough to enable me to shoot with both eyes open and when only looking through the optic I couldn't see enough for a 1x scope.

No sir, you're not. You did the uniquely American thing and made the platform work for you rather than suffer. FWIW, I agree that the FOV is small, but likely it was a compromise design to fit the form factor.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 10:39:09 AM EST
Originally Posted By hepcat85:

No sir, you're not. You did the uniquely American thing and made the platform work for you rather than suffer. FWIW, I agree that the FOV is small, but likely it was a compromise design to fit the form factor.

Works for me. Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:57:51 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:07:49 PM EST
Originally Posted By -JC-:
Post Sample in the first picture?

Yes
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:18:55 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:07:15 AM EST
Originally Posted By -JC-:
Where did you get the FES Lower?

I've only ever seen the pictogram lowers...

I believe it to be factory equipment. It was on it when I bought it. Still not sure what E is, other than semi...
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:42:41 AM EST

Still not sure what E is, other than semi.

That's it.

The E is for inzelfeuer (Ine-tsell-foyer) which means "single shot".
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:04:18 AM EST
Originally Posted By osprey21:

Still not sure what E is, other than semi.

That's it.

The E is for inzelfeuer (Ine-tsell-foyer) which means "single shot".

Thanks! My German is a little rusty..... Read non existant!
Top Top