Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2006 7:37:50 PM EDT
Is there any difference between the FA M14 and the SA M1A?  If so, which one do you find is of higher quality and has more options?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:31:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Both are good, options vary on price and models. You'll find people who like one and dislike the other in both cases.  Any options you find can also be done afterwards and most of the time for less money. It's just whether you'd rather have it now and pay more for it.  What do want out of the rifle is a good question? Traditional wood stock rack grade, match, usgi fiberglassed, tactical setup, long barrel or short, chromedlined, chromemoly or stainless?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#2]
FA, my SA was a POS
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:43:04 PM EDT
[#3]
LRB...period!

You'll wait up to a year for Fulton and I personally have had problems with both the SAs I've had.

My LRB performs flawlessly, if forged, and all USGI except for the reciever.  I love it!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:49:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I was gonna say LRB but it wasn't a choice
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:03:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not gonna say that Fulton or LRB rifles aren't of better quality than SA. But I will say that my new SA Standard has been flawless so far after about 300 rounds fired and I am glad I didn't let all the anti-SA hype prevent me from getting it. For every post that says they had problems with their SA rifles, there are likely at least 10 owners out there who never have and who love theirs. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:06:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm not gonna say that Fulton or LRB rifles aren't of better quality than SA. But I will say that my new SA Standard has been flawless so far after about 300 rounds fired and I am glad I didn't let all the anti-SA hype prevent me from getting it. For every post that says they had problems with their SA rifles, there are likely at least 10 owners out there who never have and who love theirs. YMMV

More actually,you got to remember that Springfield has been around since the 70's and their serial numbers are around the 200,000's now. That's alot of rifles out there and the people that keep on about any problem they had with their M1a's are actually a very small number in the amount of M1A owners out there and making more out what's probably not as bad as their crying about. I'm sorry if any of us has a problem with any firearm they buy, but the SA being generally nothing but a bad rifle bullshit and lesser than the others is way exaggerated. Every manufacturer can have problems at one time or another, with parts, people and supply, but saying it will be that way always is kind of silly when SA has made so many rifles and regardless has one of the best reputations of taking care of their customers and standing behind the rifles they make.
I've never seen anything but happy owners with excellent M1A's over the years at the range, and that's new and old M1A's. Mine has been an excellent rifle that is every bit as good in machining and in function as any other high quality rifle out there. Don't believe the bs that your gonna get some magic rifle with either LRB or Fulton, there just good M14 the same as Springfield, but cost more money being built on what's left of the usgi parts out there which turn there price up high. As for LRB making a forgedd receiver, yes it's forged, but that doesn't in any  way make it do a different job, or even guarantee it lasting longer.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#7]
If you can get a used, older SA rifle with USGI parts I'd go that route.

If you're looking new, and its between SA and FA I'd go with FA.  All the parts in mine are USGI sans the receiver and spring guide.  Mine has been flawless up to 1K rounds.  One of the roll pins in the trigger group has walked itself out and cause a slight problem now but I'm in the process of getting that fixed.  However, that has been the only problem with mine so far.  

Otherwise I've been really happy with mine.  I was able to talk with FA and get a rifle built to my specs which was really really nice.  They subbed out things that I didn't want and were able to add things I did want.  The wait on my service grade rifle was 6 months which was a killer but I wouldn't trade my FA for anything (well, maybe for a real M14 but thats probably not gonna happen...)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top