Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2003 9:17:22 PM EDT
My friends M44 has a very loose front sight. It can be moved side to side just by looking at it wrong . Is there any way to fix it without having to take it to a gunsmith? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#1]
a cheap and dirty fix would be to sight it, mark it, and then use some gum rosin to hold it in place.  the rosin won't keep it balls on accurate cause it'll move if it gets bumped too hard, but if you mark it you can nudge it back in place before you hit the range.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 5:29:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Peening it is a common fix.  There are two ways to do it, you can get a small hammer and tap the edges of the sight that ride in the dovetail just enough to deform them a little bit and make the sight stick in the dovetail.  

But first I would take a sharp center punch, and put about three or four good dimples in the bottom of the sight base dovetail.  This should raise enough metal to keep the sight from moving around after you reinstall it.  The use of Loctite is also an acceptable solution.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Peening it is a common fix.  There are two ways to do it, you can get a small hammer and tap the edges of the sight that ride in the dovetail just enough to deform them a little bit and make the sight stick in the dovetail.  

But first I would take a sharp center punch, and put about three or four good dimples in the bottom of the sight base dovetail.  This should raise enough metal to keep the sight from moving around after you reinstall it.  The use of Loctite is also an acceptable solution.

oh sure, show me up by suggesting good solutions.  i guess jury rigging some bullshit together just isn't good enough for this group...
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 1:28:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
oh sure, show me up by suggesting good solutions.  i guess jury rigging some bullshit together just isn't good enough for this group...

LOL!!!

I'm at work tonight - I needed that.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 3:37:51 PM EDT
[#5]
My friend just used JB Weld to fix it, how long will this hold out?
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#6]
"Mechanics -- you can use J-B WELD with confidence. It is designed for safe, reliable, permanent repairs in engine compartments and heated environments up to 500º F (twice the heat-resistance of competitive products). It's strong as steel and impervious to water, gasoline, chemicals, and acids."

i'm guessing a really frickin long time.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Sweet, thanks a bunch.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 4:50:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My friend just used JB Weld to fix it, how long will this hold out?

I've had a 1911 front sight held on by JB Weld for about five years so far.  Should do the job, but hope you don't ever need to drift the sight.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 1:14:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, if he does have to move the sight, at least it's not my problem!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top