Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2002 5:58:39 AM EDT
I'm getting started fixing up my newest AR, another Dissipator. Got a flat top this time. I want to hurry up and get a muzzle brake on it but first I have to decide what to do about the front sight. I am putting an Arms fold down rear sight on it and some form of optics (havent decided which yet, some many goodies to choose from). I need to decide if I want to put a fold down front sight on it or not because I have to do it before I get the muzzle brake done. Once the brake is on there will be no changing the front sight post. So what do you think, flip down or not. If so, which one? Bushmasters, Arms, ect.?
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 6:02:30 AM EDT
[#1]
The front site is not in the way with any optic I use, Leupold, Aimpoint, ARM's 40, or Reflex II. Of course, if you are like me and are just building a new toy put on it what you like!
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 6:19:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Thats just it, I want the best of both worlds! I want it to be "cool", but I would rather have functional over just looks. If I left the stock front sight, it would save about a $100. I am just wondering if there is any real benefit to the fold down front sight to make it worth the money.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 6:41:52 AM EDT
[#3]
As I'm sure you already know, the front sight post will not obscure any optics you decide to mount on the flattop.  So there is'nt really a practical reason to have a flip up sight. I also think most are rather flimsy looking and I dont care for the new BM flip up. However, I have to admit a flat top dissipator with flip up front and rear sights and something like a Eotech or ACOG would look real tough and compact.  I would go with the GG&G flip up that has to be factory installed.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 12:44:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess I wasnt thinking so much about it being in the way of any optics, but thinking of the flip down sight making the gun a bit more stream lined. I am leaning towards just leaving it but will keep giving it some thought over the next few days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top