Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2002 7:56:35 PM EDT
My pre-ban lower is drilled for the push pin detent/spring.  Would someone please walk me through the installation of the pin/detent/spring as Im mechanically challenged.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#1]
1. Point receiver in direction most likely to help you find pin when it shoots across room!

2. Drop spring in hole.

3. Start brass retaining pin in hole and hold down with flat side of thin blade (I use my tiny Swiss Army Knife).

4. Start takedown pin into hole and over retaining pin, pulling blade away as the takedown pin goes over brass retaining pin.

Hope this helps, in reality I have never had to search for a launched retaining pin but there is potential!
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 10:02:11 PM EDT
[#2]
brownells actually makes a special tool to do this.  sure helped me out a lot

keving67
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 10:09:01 PM EDT
[#3]
You may need to cut off a little bit of the spring, i did.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 3:03:08 AM EDT
[#4]
gont,  

Use a towel and make a retaining wall to catch the pin if it slips.  It's better than watching the pin fly across the room if you slip with the tool.

Also, before you start to insert the take down pin, check to see if the the retaining pin will press all the way in.  If not, check the hole for crap, of cut the spring.  The retaining pin will need to be able to be pressed all the way flush or you will be fighting a losing battle.

Link Posted: 1/17/2002 4:09:02 AM EDT
[#5]
A feeler guage seems to work the best for me. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 4:18:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I had the same question. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 7:45:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I use a 'slave pin' (a punch or somethign of nearly the same diameter...put it through the holes from the other side...then push the pin down while resting on the front of the lave pin (it's easier this way) and then push the slave pin over the retaining pin.  Now get your real pin and align it with the face of the slave pin and push back through holding them together.

It sounds complicated...but works great.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you everyone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top