Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2002 11:36:24 AM EDT
  Why do so many people call AR-15's assembled from kits "Frankenguns". Since the "kits" contain actual Ar-15 parts,the resulting rifle (assumming it is put together properly and accurately)should be as good as any other AR-15. Yes? No? Why?
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know how many different manufacturers you have to include to qualify for "frankengun" status, but I don't think that different upper/lower qualifies.  A true frankengun IMHO is made from many different manufacturers - prefereably used parts as well, color mismatched, ugly but functional... Cheap as you can get it.  Plan on making one myself soon
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 11:48:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#3]
A former co-worker of mine used to part up guns.  When it came down to range day, he'd bring a tool box full of spare parts and would fit and file the whole afternoon.  I guess with some people, the assembly and tweaking is just as fun as shooting.  If it wasn't for filling a toolbox of parts I might never use, I might have the curiosity to find out he liked doing it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 1:09:34 PM EDT
[#4]
"Frankenguns" ???  First time I seen that used here on AR15.com.  Now, over at FAL files, there is generous use of the term "FrankenFal".

Assuming everything was done correctly, shy of crappy parts, a AR parts gun should perform just fine.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Frankenguns should work fine as long as you buy any parts from that Abbey someone.....um.....Abbey Normal! That's it!
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 1:20:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Just an other derogatory term.

OSA
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I consider mine a frankengun cause it has a PWA lower, a martin marrietta upper, a bushmaster bbl and a "Joe's Parts" buttstock that I change back and forth with a tele stock.  This gun runs flawlessly however and it will NEVER be sold off!
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 2:46:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Well if ya want to get technical, Frankenstien's Monster was put together with actually people.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 2:58:48 PM EDT
[#9]
PWA lower, Bushmaster upper, DPMS M-4 barrel, FN lower parts kit,Colt bolt and carrier,RRA stock,and KAC RAS.

Yeah, I think mine qualifies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top