Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/27/2005 8:41:30 AM EDT
Gentlemen,

...guys think of Frangible Ammo. I see on the net where you can buy just heads for .308 cal and 223 cal. for training. Have any of you guys used it.
Thanks again
Clancy
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:42:40 AM EDT
I have used the "lead free" frangible ammo in .45acp, .223 and 12 gauge, but only because it was a requirement at the indoor range I was training at. The .45acp worked flawlessly in my Para Ordnance pistol. The .223 also worked great in my AR-15, we did get some"Sparking" with some of the rounds when they hit the bullet traps, but we did not experience any parts of the round coming back towards us. We were shooting anywhere between three feet to fifty feet from the backstops.

The shotgun shells were a different story as far as reliability. None of them would function in my Benelli M1 Super 90 and I ended up having to borrow an 870 to shoot the shotgun portion of the course. Several of us had rounds that literally exploded in the chambers, leaving only the rear portion of the case in the gun. the remainder of the shell went downrange. These rounds produced more recoil, more blast and flash than the other regular rounds. By looking at the blown out primers, it appears that these rounds had been overcharged at the factory and my entire order was replaced by the company when I notified them of the problem.

Some years ago, I had to have a rather large chunk of bullet jacket removed from my left hand while training at in indoor range. I was well behind the line of fire when I caught the fragment in my hand after it ricocheted off of the backstop which was about 25 feet away. So I am a firm believer in frangible ammo.
Top Top