Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/28/2012 4:36:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2012 4:37:12 PM EDT by robpiat]
Looking to buy a large ft knox safe. What do you guys recommend for options? I am definitely getting the lagard redundant lock and the inner steel 10ga liner. I'll likely upgrade the door and shell as well.

I am looking at the defender/protector series.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 8:14:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2012 9:39:13 AM EDT by RugRat]
The door on most of the Fort Knox product line is very strong to begin with. I didn't think it was necessary to put more money there. Don't forget, you've got ball bearing drill plate and re-lockers if someone chooses to mess with the door.

I have a liner in mine and external hinges. The external hinges really make the safe a LOT more convenient to use. Liner adds to the weight, which is only an issue during installation -- it's a virtue after that. The addition of the liner gives you over 1/4" of steel all round -- in two, separate layers. So, some ass hat works to get through the outer layer only to discover more steel beneath.

I have a regular S&G tumbler with key lock on mine. Love it. Wouldn't trade.

Oh, and interior lighting is the bee's knees!!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 8:48:31 AM EDT
RugRat is correct on all his points. FT Knox lighting packages are wonderful.

I too like the redundant lock, and the 10ga liner.

If getting a Defender, in addition to adding the 10ga liner, consider upgrading to the deluxe package (7gauge body, 3/8" door), or the double deluxe package (1/4" body, 1/2" door).

I love my Fort Knox safe, good luck with whatever you choose and report back to us what you get and how you like it.

Link Posted: 12/29/2012 10:46:28 AM EDT
Does anybody know how much weight the deluxe or liner packages add?
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 11:09:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By robpiat:
Does anybody know how much weight the deluxe or liner packages add?

Depends on the safe size you choose:
For the 7251 a liner and Deluxe package adds 594#
For the 6031 a liner and Deluxe package adds 348#

The numbers are actually a little lower. I got those numbers subtracting a Defender from the Titan model. The Titan has more bolts which add weight, too. But the numbers give you a ball park maximum number.
Top Top