Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2014 10:30:17 AM EDT
So I turned in my form 4 for a suppressor in July 2013. It went pending in October. I just received a letter from the ATF notifying me of errors. Does this mean I have to start all over and wait another year for my stamp after I turn in the corrected paperwork?

P.S. this f@%*ing sucks.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#1]
What were the errors? What did the letter say?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:32:36 AM EDT
[#2]
No, make the corrections and send it back in and then call the examiner in a few weeks to let him know you resubmitted the info.  They will probably get you fixed up.   Call them today and see if it's something you can handle over the phone/email.  Sometimes it works.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:44:02 AM EDT
[#3]
You do need to respond by the date on your error letter to keep your spot in line - so try to take care of it ASAP.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#4]
2 errors:

1. The place of birth on the fingerprint card should be the state and not "US."
2. The person who signed the form 4 (a manager at the gun shop) was not authorized to sign according to the ATF.

Could these issues be sorted out with a phone call?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:53:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
2 errors:

1. The place of birth on the fingerprint card should be the state and not "US."
2. The person who signed the form 4 (a manager at the gun shop) was not authorized to sign according to the ATF.

Could these issues be sorted out with a phone call?
View Quote

I would say no unless the manager was in fact ok to authorize it.  He will have to get involved if he is and contact the examiner.
probably new fingerprint card.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 11:41:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I just spoke to the gun shop. They said the person who signed is no longer working for them which is probably why it caused the error. So for future reference, make sure the person signing will be employed at that location until you are approved.  BS in my opinion.

The error letter states corrections can be made by crossing out mistakes and initiating and dating the new information. So no new forms will be needed...hopefully.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I do believe the person signing must be CEO, President, Owner, etc. of the company that owns the shop, i.e., the FFL holder, not Manager, Salesperson, Personal Assistant, Mail Clerk, Janitor, etc.  That's what is usually meant under "Official "under "Title of Authorized Official".

MHO, YMMV, etc.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:16:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Had similar happen with my first Form1...

Sent in the corrected form and got approved right away...

I too had thoughts of having to wait another few months, but it didn't happen.

Good luck!

p
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I called the ATF examiner and she was able to change the POB over the phone. The guy at the gun shop said I should get the stamp back in about two weeks after he sends the form 4 back with the correct signature. Looks like catastrophe averted.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 11:16:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I called the ATF examiner and she was able to change the POB over the phone. The guy at the gun shop said I should get the stamp back in about two weeks after he sends the form 4 back with the correct signature. Looks like catastrophe averted.
View Quote

Unless the gun shop employee is a CLEO(Sheriff, Chief of Police, etc.) or other authorized person (judge, etc.) they cannot sign your Form 4 and it will be rejected again.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Unless the gun shop employee is a CLEO(Sheriff, Chief of Police, etc.) or other authorized person (judge, etc.) they cannot sign your Form 4 and it will be rejected again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A SOT or an approved individual working for it can sign the Form 4...

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have a link for that?  I just don't see the SOT signing for it being possible as if that were the case why would anyone ever do anything but that and take the risk of them not signing?

According to this FAQ that is not the case.

Who Is This CLEO Anyway?
The Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) Who Signs The Form 4 Can Be Any Of The Following People:
Sheriff
Chief Of Police
Head Of State Police Agency
District Attorney
A Judge With The Power Of Arrest
Any Other Law Enforcement Officer Approved For This Procedure By The National Firearms Act Branch Of The BATF.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Do you have a link for that?  I just don't see the SOT signing for it being possible as if that were the case why would anyone ever do anything but that and take the risk of them not signing?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who Is This CLEO Anyway?

The Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) Who Signs The Form 4 Can Be Any Of The Following People:

Sheriff

Chief Of Police

Head Of State Police Agency

District Attorney

A Judge With The Power Of Arrest

Any Other Law Enforcement Officer Approved For This Procedure By The National Firearms Act Branch Of The BATF.
I believe we're referencing two different signature areas of the Form 4.  The form was disapproved for the transferors signature, not the CLEO...

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
<snip>
I believe we're referencing two different signature areas of the Form 4.  The form was disapproved for the transferors signature, not the CLEO...  
View Quote

That could very well be.  I guess I figured it was the CLEO signature since it wasn't specified.  My bad.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That could very well be.  I guess I figured it was the CLEO signature since it wasn't specified.  My bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

Correct.  The transforer's signature was the issue. Not the CLEO signature.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top