Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2006 6:36:15 PM EDT
Talk me out of wanting an M1A.  

I see it when I am awake, I see it in my dreams.  I cant stop thinking about getting one.

The sad thing is I'm starting to see it in my wallet, which is really worrying me.

I want a wood stock one with the long barrel and nostalgic beauty that comes with that setup.

Please make me not want it.  I already have BRD disease, and I see all my money flying toward an M1A soon.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#1]

I'm sorry NT, there is very little to absolutly no help for you here .......
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:55:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Let me help if I can.
Totaly new need for:
Mags 10 x 25$=$250
Need for tools $60
Need for ammo $300
Bipods$100
Scope mount $150
Rifle itsself $1250

Total package out the door= $2110..... And that is getting off cheap.

If $$$$ is no problem. Go get that bad boy.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Heavy, expensive...for a starter .308 get a FN FAL, the DSArms STG58 is a great buy for the bucks, lots of parts everywhere for them, cheap mags too.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:43:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Heavy, expensive...for a starter .308 get a FN FAL, the DSArms STG58 is a great buy for the bucks, lots of parts everywhere for them, cheap mags too.

I just love the history factor of the M1A.  When I hold one (a real one, not a poly stocked one) I just get a nostalgic feeling for the history of the gun going all the way back to the original M1.  You can't get that with just about any other gun on earth.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#5]
You've come to the wrong group. I suggest HK PRO as an option.
You should still seek out good M1A deals and report them here though.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:06:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry, we make a very poor support group. Endulge and get one.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Dont buy a Springfield Armory Inc M1A, you should buy a  LRB M14SA
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:19:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just love the history factor of the M1A.  When I hold one (a real one, not a poly stocked one) I just get a nostalgic feeling for the history of the gun going all the way back to the original M1.  You can't get that with just about any other gun on earth.

True, it has history behind it, I get the same feeling with my M1 carbine, dont own a Garand, that's the one that won WWII.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't want no Teenage Queen
'Cause I (already) got My M-14

OOO-Rah!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:56:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Dont buy a Springfield Armory Inc M1A, you should buy a  LRB M14SA

good god they're beautiful, but i'm budget impaired as it is.  it's going to be a stretch to buy an off the shelf SA one in the first place.  i'm not a good enough shot at the momment to make it worth it to buy a match grade rifle.  i'll probably get my first M1A, beat it up for a while, learn how to not suck with it, and then go for the tack driver.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#11]
i feel your pain brother.  i have a boner over the springfield SOCOM and i'm not even a rifle guy.  plus, i need to buy my AR first.

help me stop the madness.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:03:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
(a real one, not a poly stocked one)

Hey now, the USGI synthetics are every bit as real and 10X the stock that wood is and have history themselves.A lot of those forty year old synthetics are currently making new history over yonder.

But as far as talking you out of an M1A, well, how about the fact that one is never enough and you'll find yourself wanting multiple rifles, along with a stash of more pricey than gold USGI parts, some mags, ammo, etc.

Enough to make me wish I had cheaper taste in guns sometimes...Okay, not really, but close.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:32:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dont buy a Springfield Armory Inc M1A, you should buy a  LRB M14SA hr

good god they're beautiful, but i'm budget impaired as it is.  it's going to be a stretch to buy an off the shelf SA one in the first place.  i'm not a good enough shot at the momment to make it worth it to buy a match grade rifle.  i'll probably get my first M1A, beat it up for a while, learn how to not suck with it, and then go for the tack driver.

The LRB's aren't necessarily match grade rifles anymore than a standard SA M1A is. A match rifle is built or tuned to be. The main difference is that a standard model LRB is built from a forged receiver were as the Springfield is built from a cast receiver, but I've never heard of anyone ever wearing either out and the cast is made thicker to match any extra strength the forged may have. The LRB's are also built on leftover usgi parts, hopefully with some life still left in them for that kind of money, and the newer M1A's will probably have mostly Springfield contracted parts from overseas.
There has been a huge exaggeration by a few, echoed by the blind to believe many on the various boards falling in line of the rolling paranoia that SA can't make a good rifle, when the truth is the real number of rifles from Springfield that ever had a problem are just a small drip in the lake of Springfield M1A's serving their owners well for a lifetime, but that only 50 year old parts work well because of there higher quality control standards and that modern people can't make quality parts for the M14 anymore unless God himself swears and tell's them it's good.
The LRB's are a nice rifle, but so is an M1A of any model, and in the end you'll just pay double for a rifle that does the same thing with the LRB. As both will put a 7.62mm bullet down range shot after shot, but if they don't both makers will make sure they do.  Just Springfield will make sure it stays that way for a lifetime.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:56:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The LRB's aren't necessarily match grade rifles anymore than a standard SA M1A is. A match rifle is built or tuned to be. The main difference is that a standard model LRB is built from a forged receiver were as the Springfield is built from a cast receiver, but I've never heard of anyone ever wearing either out and the cast is made thicker to match any extra strength the forged may have. The LRB's are also built on leftover usgi parts, hopefully with some life still left in them for that kind of money, and the newer M1A's will probably have mostly Springfield contracted parts from overseas.
There has been a huge exaggeration by a few, echoed by the blind to believe many on the various boards falling in line of the rolling paranoia that SA can't make a good rifle, when the truth is the real number of rifles from Springfield that ever had a problem are just a small drip in the lake of Springfield M1A's serving their owners well for a lifetime, but that only 50 year old parts work well because of there higher quality control standards and that modern people can't make quality parts for the M14 anymore unless God himself swears and tell's them it's good.
The LRB's are a nice rifle, but so is an M1A of any model, and in the end you'll just pay double for a rifle that does the same thing with the LRB. As both will put a 7.62mm bullet down range shot after shot, but if they don't both makers will make sure they do.  Just Springfield will make sure it stays that way for a lifetime.

Well said.

You can't beat a transferrable lifetime warranty that is still valid if you swap in USGI parts (if you even feel the need).

$1200-$1300 for a new Springfield M1A, or $2000-$2300 for an LRB M14.

Not a tough decision, really.  For less than the cost of an LRB M14, my Springfield M1A will be decked out with a bipod, mount, rings and a scope.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:13:45 AM EDT
[#15]
ARs may come and go through my safe, but my M1A will never leave.

cept to got the range.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:49:54 AM EDT
[#16]
You wanna get your mind off an M1A?  

Start buying Garands through the CMP.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:37:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

What are you talking about?  
This is ARFCOM!  Get Both!  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:41:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What are you talking about?  

Oh god.... i need a mortage for ammo as it is!

This is ARFCOM!  Get Both!  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top