Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/1/2017 3:27:34 PM EDT
I have a few guns I'm in the process of Form 1ing. I was just wondering how many of you if any, have used the folding brace for your MP5 or clone instead of going the NFA route? Raves? Regrets?
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#1]
New SB-tactical brace is awesome and it looks good... The only reason to SBR a MP5 anymore is to use the k grip or a VFG IMO
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:37:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I started thinking. I have a SP5K that's for sure going the Form 1 but 2 MP5s that I'm hesitant to do.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:12:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Until my form 1 is approved I have them on both SP5K and Z5RS. The SB Tactical is awesome and I almost didn't form 1 because of it, but I love the A2 stock on the MP5 and UMP stock on the K

Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Not that I ever plan on selling them but it's a PITA to sell a gun on Form 1. That's the incentive I have to keep a few as pistols
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:55:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Until my form 1 is approved I have them on both SP5K and Z5RS. The SB Tactical is awesome and I almost didn't form 1 because of it, but I love the A2 stock on the MP5 and UMP stock on the K
View Quote

Nice Sp5k!!...I'm by no means a NFA expert so for give me if this is a stupid question. Is the VFG allowable on the Sp5k w/o Form 1?
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 6:06:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Has anyone seen if Zenith is going to release that HK33 A3 brace they were showing off at Shot Show for the pistol cal guns?

While every HK clone I own is already an SBR (except my SP89 safe queen) a big hitch I always had were that the arm braces never "looked right"... they always looked like an arm brace. But with the new B&T style braces and Zenith's A3 style there are more options that look closer to the actual stocks now.

I still prefer my SBRs though, hassle included. I need a little emoji of me hugging an A2 and A3 stock.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nice Sp5k!!...I'm by no means a NFA expert so for give me if this is a stupid question. Is the VFG allowable on the Sp5k w/o Form 1?
View Quote

As long as it is over 26" OAL, if it is under and you wanted a VFG you would need to register it as a AOW (same as if you wanted to put one on a glock)

How the ATF classifies a "pistol" vs a "firearm"
Pistol/Handgun: under 26" overall; no stock (foam pad/cane pad/SIG brace are not stocks), no vertical foregrip
Firearm : over 26" overall and you can install a VFG (no stock rule still applies), no limit on barrel length within the technical limitations of the platform's gas system/dwell time requirements

ETA another reason I won't go the SBR route again is in MN we are not allowed to carry a loaded rifle/shotgun in the vehicle... with the brace classifying it as a "pistol" I can throw it in my passenger seat if I want to.

In order to run the VFG you would need to AOW, pinweld or make a brace spacer on the K as it is only around 24" oal
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

As long as it is over 26" OAL, if it is under and you wanted a VFG you would need to register it as a AOW (same as if you wanted to put one on a glock)

How the ATF classifies a "pistol" vs a "firearm"
Pistol/Handgun: under 26" overall; no stock (foam pad/cane pad/SIG brace are not stocks), no vertical foregrip
Firearm : over 26" overall and you can install a VFG (no stock rule still applies), no limit on barrel length within the technical limitations of the platform's gas system/dwell time requirements

ETA another reason I won't go the SBR route again is in MN we are not allowed to carry a loaded rifle/shotgun in the vehicle... with the brace classifying it as a "pistol" I can throw it in my passenger seat if I want to.

In order to run the VFG you would need to AOW, pinweld or make a brace spacer on the K as it is only around 24" oal
http://i.imgur.com/98ek9TJ.jpg?1
View Quote

Great description. I'm gonna repost this in the handgun forum for a member that asked the same question. If you don't mind?
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Great description. I'm gonna repost this in the handgun forum for a member that asked the same question. If you don't mind?
View Quote

I don't mind, have at it
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:19:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one on my sp5k and it is awsome.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 6:04:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Honestly, can't say enough good things about this brace.

Buy one and then make your decision on point the SBR route.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:28:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I was on the fence about SBR-ing mine, but after getting the folding brace, I've decided Im leaving it as a pistol.

Hope to add a fullsize clone sometime later this year. 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:20:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Awesome pics everyone...makes me want a K!  Where have you guys purchased your arm braces?  Everywhere I look they're out of stock except hkparts and SB Tactical...
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:34:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I order all my stuff from Hk parts. I generally have it 2 days after order. No screwing around .

Really, really looking forward to my order that should arrive Saturday's From them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#16]
So will this work with a Zenith MKE Z5P? It's not a Reverse Stretch. Do they have one for this model? I've got a full size POF MP5 with an A2 stock. Love that as an SBR. But I like the idea of having this one as a pistol for the CCW aspect if I ever felt like I wanted to car carry it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So will this work with a Zenith MKE Z5P? It's not a Reverse Stretch. Do they have one for this model? I've got a full size POF MP5 with an A2 stock. Love that as an SBR. But I like the idea of having this one as a pistol for the CCW aspect if I ever felt like I wanted to car carry it.
View Quote
See mine above, it's a Z5P. 
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 7:55:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:11:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Not worth the $250 price tag. Unsure why the HK monetary premium was applied to these, please don't say "quality."

May the market flourish with more options in the future so prices can be reasonable. Gear Head Works, your move now; don't disappoint.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Bought one yesterday until I can SBR my MKE.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:41:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/691/32762639176_e003aa6fc2_b.jpg

Not worth the $250 price tag. Unsure why the HK monetary premium was applied to these, please don't say "quality."

May the market flourish with more options in the future so prices can be reasonable. Gear Head Works, your move now; don't disappoint.
View Quote

I couldn't agree more on the price. Competition should bring it down hopefully. I picked one up last weekend love it though. I would've gotten 2 if they weren't so overpriced. I do love the brace, I'm really wrestling with SBRing more than my 94 that I'm converting to MP5.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#22]
After reading through this entire thread.  I went over to HK parts and ordered one for my Turner Fab mp5. Simply because I'm to lazy to bring it in 922 compliance. So you guys just cost me $250 bucks  
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:40:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
After reading through this entire thread.  I went over to HK parts and ordered one for my Turner Fab mp5. Simply because I'm to lazy to bring it in 922 compliance. So you guys just cost me $250 bucks  
View Quote

LOL...worth EVERY penny.  I have 4 of them!  Someone owes me $1000!
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:53:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just ordered a 2nd one 30seconds ago
Damn thing is waaay overpriced but I love it on my MP5. Spending $250 to save $200 on the Form 1 stamp and another $65 or so on the engraving is how I justified and rationalized it anyway, just like an addict....lol
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:33:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Would this brace work on a c93 pistol
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:36:48 AM EDT
[#26]
They are a no go on the MKE Z43p.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:09:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I was on the fence about SBR-ing mine, but after getting the folding brace, I've decided Im leaving it as a pistol.

Hope to add a fullsize clone sometime later this year. 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/350579/IMG-20170109-183836609-138525.JPG
View Quote

That's exactly how I want to set one up..........nice looking pistol
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:53:23 AM EDT
[#28]
How about a century I heard that they had a buffered bolt but not sure
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HK parts brace arrived today! Stuck in Birmingham till Wed. Then home to put it on after I hug my bride of course. Very fast delivery as usual
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:45:39 PM EDT
[#30]
2nd one just arrived today(on left) just put it on. I love these things. Don't like the HK type price but I can't help but pay it, I paid it twice already. I'm calling off the SBRing on these 2 Dakota Tacticals for now Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:14:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
2nd one just arrived today(on left) just put it on. I love these things. Don't like the HK type price but I can't help but pay it, I paid it twice already. I'm calling off the SBRing on these 2 Dakota Tacticals for now https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/59839/IMG-0480-146147.JPG
View Quote

those are Looking good!  Ive also called off the extra SBRing as well.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:08:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I just ordered a 2nd one 30seconds ago
Damn thing is waaay overpriced but I love it on my MP5. Spending $250 to save $200 on the Form 1 stamp and another $65 or so on the engraving is how I justified and rationalized it anyway, just like an addict....lol
View Quote

Plus 922r parts if you have a Zenith/MKE or POF
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:17:04 AM EDT
[#33]
I just put one on my Sp5k and it is a perfect fit. I will probably keep it on instead of going sbr. The only issue I have is that it doesn't fit in my hk hard case with it on. But not a big deal.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:38:57 AM EDT
[#34]
I don't know why you guys are so adamant about not filing for SBR if you are located in an NFA land. This brace is a total compromise in construction and quality compared to the real deal A2 or B&T folding stock.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't know why you guys are so adamant about not filing for SBR if you are located in an NFA land. This brace is a total compromise in construction and quality compared to the real deal A2 or B&T folding stock.
View Quote
I like keeping mine as a pistol so I can have it concealed in my nifty messenger bag and have it in the car up front with me. Can't do that if I SBR it. 

I will probably end up getting a fullsize and SBR that though. 
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I like keeping mine as a pistol so I can have it concealed in my nifty messenger bag and have it in the car up front with me. Can't do that if I SBR it. 

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. It's got more legal versatility as a pistol. Yes it's not an A2 or B&T, if I were on a SWAT unit or In SF, that's a valid point. The other reason I'm not SBRing is I have 2 other HKs that are on the sbr route. I'd prefer to keep a the clones as pistols bc their way easier to sell in that configuration. Not that I ever plan to sell a gun but I have if other platforms interest me more.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:10:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've got a full size SBR and 5k Stamps already. The new kids will all stick with the braces. I have one of the B&T folding stocks and honestly
Don't think the braces are sacrificing  much. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:19:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Got home this afternoon. Took longer together it out of. The safe than to put it on my Turner FabAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:27:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Got home this afternoon. Took longer together it out of. The safe than to put it on my Turner Fabhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/290177/image-147490.JPG
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:49:19 PM EDT
[#40]
If you search for it, you can find the brace as cheap as 159.00 online.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:39:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Any word on the sling swivels for these things?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:25:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Which sling swivel can you use? I want to add one to my brace
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:30:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Anyone have a length measurement on the Fullsize gun with this Brace?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I emailed SB Tactical and asked them where I could get a sling swivel.  They mailed the swivel and screw out for free and thanked me for my support on the same day.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If you search for it, you can find the brace as cheap as 159.00 online.
View Quote

Slim; got a good link? I'll google too but if you have source help a brother out.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I emailed SB Tactical and asked them where I could get a sling swivel.  They mailed the swivel and screw out for free and thanked me for my support on the same day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dang, I need to try them again then, I had contacted them about where I could get one, and they said they'd look into it and never responded again, then a few days later HKParts updated the description to say "no sling swivel included". 
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Just picked up the Zenith and brace this last weekend myself. I do plan on going the SBR route but this is a nice stopgap.

Gemtech MK9-K three lug is in the future for it as well. Going to get to try her out today, for the first time. Looking forward to it.

Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:00:57 PM EDT
[#49]
That's a beautiful setup
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Slim; got a good link? I'll google too but if you have source help a brother out.
View Quote

I just checked the two places that sent me notifications and both are out of stock now, they didnt last long.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top