Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:28:14 AM EDT
[#1]
It runs for 10 hrs with BT and WiFi both On, turn them off and it runs for 14 hrs.

It’s basically three 18650s in parallel.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:30:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.flir.com/products/scion-rechargeable-battery-kit_gpx310/

Looks like the on board battery pack is available, who’s going first?
View Quote

I just pulled the trigger.  Back ordered until 5/6.  Hope it works as well as I think it will!

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
https://www.flir.com/products/scion-rechargeable-battery-kit_gpx310/

Looks like the on board battery pack is available, who’s going first?
View Quote

I'll play

Already preordered.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 1:23:35 PM EDT
[#4]
So I just got off the phone with a FLIR service rep on another issue. I asked about the Scion battery pack. . He said that they do not have a firm ship date and May 6 May might slide. They still haven’t received the battery packs from their subcontractor.   Hope it’s not a long wait...
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:03:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So I just got off the phone with a FLIR service rep on another issue. I asked about the Scion battery pack. . He said that they do not have a firm ship date and May 6 May might slide. They still haven’t received the battery packs from their subcontractor.   Hope it’s not a long wait...
View Quote

Kind of figured, glad I didn’t get my hopes up to much...
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#6]
FLIR's website now shows the Scion battery pack with an expected ship date of 5/20.  Bummed.  The 3.2V RCR123A that I'm using last a little less than 3 hours.  I'm looking forward to the 10 hour life so I can complete a hunt without a battery change.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 3:33:13 PM EDT
[#7]
So a couple more weeks?  Better late than never I suppose...

ETA - just got notification - delayed until 7/6/20.  Maybe it'll get here before first of November

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:32:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Burnsome-:
So a couple more weeks?  Better late than never I suppose...

ETA - just got notification - delayed until 7/6/20.  Maybe it'll get here before first of November 

View Quote

I just got the same notice.

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:37:27 PM EDT
[#9]
My notice informed me mine is shipping May 21, must be a backlog of orders.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:46:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SkyPup:
My notice informed me mine is shipping May 21, must be a backlog of orders.
View Quote

I actually got 2 notices yesterday.  The first one at 1114 said shipping May 25.  The second one at 1116 said July 6.  I'll try to be patient, but if it's not in my hand and performing as I expect by August I'm not going to be happy.  I bought the device with a promise of a battery pack "right around the corner".  That was in March.  There's hogs to kill, and 3.2V RCR123A don't have a good field life. Primary CR-123's at 6 per 4 hours get expensive real quick.  A FLIR CS rep (who didn't sound particularly technically knowledgeable) recommended against 3.7V 16340's due to the potential voltage spike.  I'm chicken with a brand new device, and the FLIR battery pack is supposed to have additional protections for the encased 18650's.  So I (im)patiently wait.  

Link Posted: 7/17/2020 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I actually got 2 notices yesterday.  The first one at 1114 said shipping May 25.  The second one at 1116 said July 6.  I'll try to be patient, but if it's not in my hand and performing as I expect by August I'm not going to be happy.  I bought the device with a promise of a battery pack "right around the corner".  That was in March.  There's hogs to kill, and 3.2V RCR123A don't have a good field life. Primary CR-123's at 6 per 4 hours get expensive real quick.  A FLIR CS rep (who didn't sound particularly technically knowledgeable) recommended against 3.7V 16340's due to the potential voltage spike.  I'm chicken with a brand new device, and the FLIR battery pack is supposed to have additional protections for the encased 18650's.  So I (im)patiently wait.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By SkyPup:
My notice informed me mine is shipping May 21, must be a backlog of orders.

Just got off the phone with FLIR customer service.  Seems the July 6 ship date for the battery pack has slipped again...

the rep told me that they (FLIR) hadn't received any from their subcontractor and that he was unwilling to give out a ship date as they really have no idea when they'll have them in stock...

One part of me is disappointed FLIR got out of the consumer business, but a SCION is supposed to be a professional tool.  I get that there's a pandemic, but this customer service, well, sucks.  I currently use 3 of their hand scanners, and won't be getting any more until they change their game.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 11:31:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Bump to see if anyone has compared the 266 (18mm) with the 366 (25mm)?
Is the wider field of view better for scanning?
Bigger lens offer any better long range detection or identification?
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Bump to see if anyone has compared the 266 (18mm) with the 366 (25mm)?
Is the wider field of view better for scanning?
Bigger lens offer any better long range detection or identification?
View Quote

My brother has the 366, i have the 266. I have not compared them side by side as he lives in another state.

He is happy with his, i am luke warm on mine.

We both bought them for the same reason, civil unrest, shtf, etc

Mine seems to not reach far enough in an urban environment. I would prefer more legs if that makes sense.

When looking between houses or between cars it doesn't have good enough resolution in my opinion and there are a lot of things that will stand out on thermal, i spend a lot of time staring at nothing. My pvs-14 with a 3x lense and ir illuminator is more useful for my desired purpose....looking for people creeping, sneaking in an urban environment.

Im guess im glad i have it, but i can waste a lot of time inspecting something to only find out it is nothing important. The magnified pvs14 is better for my purposes.

Eta: i forgot i already posted these pics

Perhaps I was expecting too much. I am not a thermal pro, this is the first one i looked through.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 2:56:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Unless it's just a phone-to-eyepiece problem, that looks like it's focused at about 5-10yards instead of infinity.  Does it have a focus knob?
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 6:34:47 PM EDT
[#18]
For those that ordered the FLIR rechargeable battery kit, my card was just charged. Hopefully it means they’re shipping soon.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 5:34:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Same here.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 5:57:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What does RTSP stand for?

Thanks
View Quote

@Wildfowler

https://searchvirtualdesktop.techtarget.com/definition/Real-Time-Streaming-Protocol-RTSP
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 4:42:26 PM EDT
[#21]
For those that ordered, my Scion rechargeable battery pack shipped today.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 7:51:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Yep, me too
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 3:00:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Me too
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 7:59:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Installed the battery last night and charged the Scion.  Coming off the charger the camera showed 10 hours battery life, but after going through all the settings it showed 8 hours 40 minutes.  When I changed out the CR123 battery pack to the rechargeable pack, all my settings reverted to those from the first time the camera was powered up (4/14/20).  During my "reset" the camera did lock up once and had to be restarted.

If this rechargeable battery pack performs, it will be a welcomed addition to the Scion.  The increased battery life will make it much more useable (and ultimately affordable) in the field.  Going through 6 CR123 per night was getting expensive...

I know this is a way more capable device, but I sure miss the simpler ergonomics of my LS64.  The middle menu select button is small for my fat fingers.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#25]
@slowplay

Got my rechargeable battery pack in today.  No directions, so I assume I install the pack into the Scion and charge it that way?
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 4:37:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Got mine today too. Yup, I used their cord and charger to be on the safe side. Topped I get ~6 hours with WiFi hotspot on streaming. Only remaining issue is that it appears not to like the huge microSD cards (256GB) but 64GB worked.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 5:18:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Got mine today too. Yup, I used their cord and charger to be on the safe side. Topped I get ~6 hours with WiFi hotspot on streaming. Only remaining issue is that it appears not to like the huge microSD cards (256GB) but 64GB worked.
View Quote

How long did you charge it?
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
@slowplay

Got my rechargeable battery pack in today.  No directions, so I assume I install the pack into the Scion and charge it that way?
View Quote

That's what I did.  I let it charge for about 6 hours using the included cord and charger.  The light was still amber indicting charging when I unplugged it.  I fooled around with it for awhile and noticed the very quick reduction from 10 hours to 8:40 in battery life, and that was with everything (wifi/bluetooth/streaming) off.  Also, while I was in the settings menu trying to put in the actual date the camera locked up.  I had to open the battery compartment and remove the battery completely to get it to power back on and operate normally.  Since then there haven't been any issues.

The lack of directions is typical of FLIR lately...
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

How long did you charge it?
View Quote

~3 hours till the light on top turns green.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks.  I charged mine for about 6 hours and it indicated that it had 9 hours 20 minutes of battery life.  Initially the Scion wouldnt power up so I removed the pack and re-installed and it powered up just fine.  

Ran it for about an hour out hunting last night and it then indicated 8 hours 20 minutes so it seem to be tracking well.  I didnt see an indicator light on my charger but will look for it next time.

I did notice the Scion ran much smoother with no flickering as I typically had when running rechargeable CR123s in it so thats good.  Glad they have the remaining time indicator as the rechargeables I previously used gave you about a 30 second indication before they were out of juice.  

Overall well pleased so far, but a manual or operating instructions would have been nice to have just to be sure
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
 I didnt see an indicator light on my charger but will look for it next time.

View Quote

The light (if you have it selected on in settings) is on the top of the camera.  Orange for charging/discharging.  Green for fully charged.  You can also power the camera on while hooked into the charger and see your charge level on the battery indicator.

Link Posted: 9/23/2020 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Turn the charging indicator light on in the settings
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 1:41:01 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't know if this is the right place, but as this thread is up I thought there is no need to make another.

I have recently got a Scion 266 and I am quite happy with it. However, I am a bit disappointed at the refresh rate of the unit. This unit supposedly has a 60 Hz refresh rate, but mine seems to be locked at 30.
It is the same for recording or plugging it into PC and using it as a "web camera". Looking at the screen of the mono it also seems like 30.
I am also confused about the sensor resolution. On different sites it either says that it is 640x480 or 640x512. Which is it?
Mine seems to take photos in 640x480.

I have updated to newest firmware (1.1.4.0) but it did not fix that.

Is this how these units are? Or am I somehow locked?

Cheers

Link Posted: 9/26/2020 10:06:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I have recently got a Scion 266 and I am quite happy with it. However, I am a bit disappointed at the refresh rate of the unit. This unit supposedly has a 60 Hz refresh rate, but mine seems to be locked at 30.
It is the same for recording or plugging it into PC and using it as a "web camera". Looking at the screen of the mono it also seems like 30.
I am also confused about the sensor resolution. On different sites it either says that it is 640x480 or 640x512. Which is it?
Mine seems to take photos in 640x480.

View Quote

The core is a 640x512 12uM according to the manual.  The refresh rate on a OTM266 is supposed to be 60Hz.  Where are you reading 30?
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 7:59:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The core is a 640x512 12uM according to the manual.  The refresh rate on a OTM266 is supposed to be 60Hz.  Where are you reading 30?
View Quote

When I record a video using this mono and later upload it to a PC. When I check the properties of the video created, it says that it is in 30 Hz. Same happens if I connect the mono to the PC and use the camera function to stream directly to that PC.
It even tells me that I am recording in 640x480 at 30 Hz.

The manual and FLIR website clearly state 640x512 at 60 Hz, but I am unable to get these numbers.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 8:58:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Viewing is 60Hz, recording is 30 Hz.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Viewing is 60Hz, recording is 30 Hz.
View Quote

That would make sense, thanks. What about the resolution? I see no reason for the mono take pictures in 640x480, while it is capable of 640x512?
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 5:17:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Image viewing processing is totally separate from the image recording processing, both completely separate processing in the Boson core, which does incorporate a separate internal image processing microchip.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 9:46:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Q ref battery charging....

Is it best to let the battery drain completely down before recharging you think or does it matter either way?

Mines got about 30 minutes left on the indicator and it lasted a good 9 hours on the first charge and tracked pretty accurately

TIA
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:09:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Hi guys 2 quick questions:

Has anyone managed to connect the device with a phone and Flir tool app?

Has anyone managed to register the device (OTM 266): the serial number (5 digits) does not seem to be recognized

Many thanks,

Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Hi guys 2 quick questions:

Has anyone managed to connect the device with a phone and Flir tool app?

Has anyone managed to register the device (OTM 266): the serial number (5 digits) does not seem to be recognized

Many thanks,

View Quote

Haven't tried the app.  Registration was quick and easy and the form accepted my SN no problems.

Hope you just hit an internet speedbump.  If it continues you can call FLIR "customer service."
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 3:57:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Haven't tried the app.  Registration was quick and easy and the form accepted my SN no problems.

Hope you just hit an internet speedbump.  If it continues you can call FLIR "customer service."
View Quote

Thank you for this.

On another note has anyone managed to find an adequate helmet mount for the OTM 266?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top