Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2006 8:32:07 AM EDT
Has anyone had a FH installed on a PTR 91 that didn't come with a factory installed FH?  I have a standing offer to purchase one from a fellow -- JLD built, black furniture, no FH, for $600.  It seems like a good deal, but I'm trying to figure out how and how much to have a FH installed after the fact.

I spoke with someone at JLD and he said it may be problematic to remove the barrel which is required to turn the barrel and thread it to accept a FH.  He said re installing the barrel and getting everything lined up again may be a problem.

Thoughts?  Experiences?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:57:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Talk to Jayson at IGF.  

http://www.investmentgradefirearms.com/igfproducts.htm

They have both a flash hider and a brake that is made specifically for the PTR-91 barrel.  They can be pressed on.  For $45 each, thats not bad.  You can send your PTR to him or do it yourself.  He offers a variety of services on HK/clone weapons.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.  I'll give Jason a call.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:03:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Let me know how it works out for you.  I am considering doing the same thing for my PTR.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:24:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Will do...I was tempted to ask you if you had a 'press on' FH.  I sent Jason an e-mail and will post his response.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I thought I would call Jayson instead and here's what he said:

Q: Is there was a difference in performance between the 'press-on' and 'thread-on' FH for the PTR?
A: Not really.

Q: Could a local gunsmith perform the install as this would avoid the hassle of shipping the rifle?
A:  A gunsmith may be able to perform the install, but more likely could be done by a machine shop.

Q: What would a machine shop need for the install?
A: Press, etc, etc (After listening to his answer I told myself I was going to send the rifle to him -- I think it would be difficult to find a local machine shop that could (competently) handle the job).

Q:  Lastly...how much?
A:  About $105, which includes labor, parts, and return shipping.  Turn around time is about a week.

I'll probably send it off within the month and will write a follow up post with pics when I get the rifle back.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds great!  I know Jayson will do a great job.  He offers alot of other mods so if your gonna send it to him make sure there isnt anything else you want him to do!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:14:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I sent my post ban PTR to Jayson to get his press on flash hider.  It looks great and did not change the accuaracy of the rifle at all.  It is press on then pinned and welded over.  I was very happy with the work he did.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top