Posted: 2/3/2006 11:23:59 PM EDT
Positives?..negatives?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:05:04 AM EDT
[#1]
see above for info on A-2 steel>>>KNIFE & BLADE FAQS
http://www.knifeart.com/steelfaqbyjo.html
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#2]
i used to work with A-2 in tool and die making. that's a nice steel to be sure. i have a Reeve Jereboam II made of A-2. it takes a NICE edge and holds it well!! not really hard to resharpen either. it's good TOUGH steel that can take a hard heat treating. i have a Walter Brend made of D-2 and it can be a bitch to sharpen, of course when it finally does get dull. but i think i prefer the A-2, and AUS8A, and 440-C. there's a few carbon steels i like as well.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:19:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Very good, very tough steel.  Excellent for knives.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:46:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got a Bark River Knife & Tool Co Woodland in A2 with a convex grind that works very well.  It isn't the longest edge holding knife I have, but the convex grind is real easy to re-touch-up to razor sharp in the field.  The A2 wasn't supposed to be very stain resistance but I find it to be.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Busse Combat used to use it before INFI was developed. They said A2 could take a pounding at -60 below zero with out shattering.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top