Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/18/2003 5:03:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/18/2003 5:03:49 PM EDT by chuckhammer]
I also posted this in General and in Gunsmithing on the Handguns board.

I seem to have removed a hair too much material from the arm that blocks the trigger's rear movement. Now it will fire even if the grip safety is not depressed, just barely. Any ideas on what to use to build that surface back up for re-fitting? It's a stainless steel part. Would something like JB-Weld work or do I need to use a real weld? Any input is welcome.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:12:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:17:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/18/2003 5:18:03 PM EDT by chuckhammer]
This pistol is more of a fun-gun than personal protection but I understand. Folks over on the General board suggested peening as an alternative to welding. Either would be cheaper than a new part since it's a $37 Wilson high-rise in stainless.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 8:25:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 8:38:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MickeyMouse:
Being stainless, it ain't powdered metal crap. Peening may work. Try it. Should be easily welded too. Job for a skilled operator and a TIG machine. If you gotta pay, that will cost more than the part! A micro torch and silver solder would possibly work too.

As for the "bet your life" comment, that was only partly related to personal protection. That grip safety is there for a purpose. A crappy repair that caused it to not prevent firing when people THINK it will work could lead to an accident. Best policy when safety is the issue is no compromise. Witness NASA playing fast and loose on the subject!

Yes, I agree. For peening, what tools should I procure to do it properly?
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:33:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By chuckhammer:
Yes, I agree. For peening, what tools should I procure to do it properly?

A hammer and a hard surface (anvil or bench block).
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:40:16 AM EDT
36 bucks and your concidering welding it??????????buy the new part man!
Top Top