Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2003 6:09:12 AM EDT
Last January, I bought a NIB Pre-Ban SA M1A Standard.

The seller included a beautiful German made bayonet & a USGI Walnut Stock.

Photo link:

www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61740

I tried it on, but it does want to fit.

Can anyone tell me how to fit it?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:20:56 AM EDT
[#1]
While I have no experience fitting M1A stocks, I do know that if the "op-rod" portion of the stock is not "inletted/fitted" properly you can bend your op-rod the next time ya shoot it.

I had Ron, at Smith Enterprise Inc. fit my old M1 "Tanker" Garand with a new stock (while doing other work), ya can contact them here: www.smithenterprise.com/startpage.htm

Mike
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:37:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Check for interference at area where receiver contacts RH top of stock liner. This area (wood and top of stock liner) may need to be relieved slightly. This is common when installing M1A's into real (ie M14) stocks.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 5:12:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, Nn.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:30:38 AM EDT
[#5]
damn Mississippi humidity...was the problem, she went on with no problems last night, gap is about the width of a piece of printer paper.

Originally, I tried this in late June.  

She sure is much lighter & my wrist fits around it with ease now.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:48:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:01:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Because this one is paid for.

Eventually, I will get another synthetic from Fred's.

I've got a beater synthetic now, rescued from the Nat'l Guard dumpster.

Need to figure out how to reattach a front sling swivel to it though.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:08:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:17:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, a beater used synthetic from Fred's is $12.50, and I also need the crews for the butt-plate, so I think it's not worth the time/$ to redo that stock.

Eventually, I'll buy a presentation grade walnut & synthetic from Fred's, plus that beater synthetic for cammo.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Sancho --

Take your walnut stock and place the buttplate on a block of wood on the floor then adjust the ferrule by whacking it back onto the stock with another block of wood or non marring hammer.  This will very often to the trick as the ferrules work slightly loose.

If that fails try the stock with no handguard on the barrel-receiver group.  This will let ya know if there's binding at the barrel band.  If so whack it again.  This is, of course, easier to do on someone else's stock, but just worked on a new Winchester stock for me.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:14:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Gentlemen, thanks for all your help, the rifle has settled in, and there is now but little gap.

Might even get up in the mornin' & start the New Year off with a Bang, not THAT kinda bang, I mean head off to th' range.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:55:13 AM EDT
[#12]
... at your age it's best to be careful in the morning...  

-- Chuck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top