Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/19/2005 5:44:47 AM EDT
I'm sure I'm going to ask a dumb question here, but bear with me, I'm new at this Garand thing. I'm eligible to purchase from CMP which I plan on doing, but which grade do I want? Service grade and collector grade are out due to finances, so is there really that much difference between field grade and rack grade? Also, would it be better to get Greek or U.S.? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. MJD
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:32:46 AM EDT
From what I have been seeing, lots of people been having real good luck with the "Field Grade" M1's
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:43:42 AM EDT
Field grade is the best choice if your on a budget. Service grades do have better barrels. Greek SA's are nice.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:40:27 AM EDT
The greek M1s are US made. The US Govt loaned these rifles to Greece. The Greeks have returned them. They are refered to as Greek Garands for that reason and not because they were manufactured in Greece.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:14:13 PM EDT
I bought my first CMP garand in April. At that time I got one of the HRA service grades that came back from Greece. It had a funky blonde greek stock and a black overpark finish but, locks up tight and is capable of much better accuracy than I can get out of her.

I have heard that if you ask for a rifle with GI finish and wood, you are likely to get what you ask for.

YMMV.

Blitz
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:19:26 PM EDT
I bought my Greek SG in April also. At the time, I ordered a SA SG. But then got word they were back logged for months! So I changed to a Greek SG.

I did not care about the wood but wanted good parkerzation. They sent me one where the wood was not great (no cracks, but dinged badly) and I restocked liked I planned on anyway.

Tell them what you want, they are most accomidating.
Top Top