Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2009 3:12:51 PM EDT
First trip to the range today with my new Remington 597.

The gun:
Remington 597, .22 LR, base model with synthetic stock
Walmart special Center Point 3-9x32 illuminated mildot scope
Cheap Walmart bipod.

The ammo:
Federal red box bulk pack
Federal Champions
CCI Blazer
CCI Stinger

At 25 yards using the Federal red box, I was on paper. Took three mags before I was happy enough to move to the fifty yard line.

At 50 yards, I only needed minor adjustments to get back on track. Two clicks up, and one left.

Federal red box was giving me 1 1/2" groups at 50.
Federal Champion dropped that down to 1 1/4"
CCI Blazer dropped my groups down to 7/8"
CCI Stinger was stringing all over the place. Best group was over 4"

No failure to feed or eject with any of the ammo. Ran through seven factory metal body mags with no problems.

The cheap scope worked very well. The tip off rings locked down nice and tight to the dove tail. Illumination was bright and crisp. Nice clear field of view. Not fuzzy or dim at all.

For a cheap plinker, I would recommend the 597 to anyone looking for a .22 semi.
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 4:27:05 PM EDT
And I would highly not recommend this rifle. I had one that would not properly cycle any type of ammo (tried about everything). This seems to be a common problem with this rifle ranging from any number of problems. Magazine issues (I tried 3 gens of factory mags and 3 types of aftermarket). And internal parts issues (do some google searches). AVOID THIS RIFLE AT ALL COSTS! I shoot remington through and through but I sold this gun for 50 dollars only a year after I bought it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 1:19:40 AM EDT
I've got a rem 597, had it for about 2 yrs now. Taken it to the range many times, propably 20 or more, and only twice have had a misfire. I use both the factory metal mags, and plastic 30 rounders, never have a problem with either. Shot all kinds of ammo through it.. from the cheap bulk packs to the nicer CCI's. I think it's a very accurate rifle to, last time i went to the range i had my AK and my 597 with me. Shot off a few mags with the AK then switched to the more economical 597, for a while. Was about done when i got the idea to set up a few of my spent 7.62 rounds on top of the target stand at 50 yds. Had no problem picking them off, had 5 of them up there and only took me 6 shots to knock them all off.. first one was my fault :). I love my rifle and would suggest it to anyone.
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 5:34:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By JKVR6M69:
And I would highly not recommend this rifle. I had one that would not properly cycle any type of ammo (tried about everything). This seems to be a common problem with this rifle ranging from any number of problems. Magazine issues (I tried 3 gens of factory mags and 3 types of aftermarket). And internal parts issues (do some google searches). AVOID THIS RIFLE AT ALL COSTS! I shoot remington through and through but I sold this gun for 50 dollars only a year after I bought it.

Get the fuck over it. So you got a bad one, boo hoo for you but just because you had problems that you couldn't figure out doesn't mean they are all crap. Most people have had very good luck with the 597. Its just that the few guys who have had issues seem to be the ones making all the noise. Name me a better semi auto .22 LR that can be bought new for $160? IMO, out of the box they are much better gun then the 10/22 in most regards and the 10/22 costs $40-$50 more.

Link Posted: 3/18/2009 2:28:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By airgunner:

Get the fuck over it. So you got a bad one, boo hoo for you but just because you had problems that you couldn't figure out doesn't mean they are all crap. Most people have had very good luck with the 597. Its just that the few guys who have had issues seem to be the ones making all the noise. Name me a better semi auto .22 LR that can be bought new for $160? IMO, out of the box they are much better gun then the 10/22 in most regards and the 10/22 costs $40-$50 more.

Daddy didn't take you fishing enough as a kid or something? Chill out, I had a bad experience with the rifle and have a decently thorough understanding of weapons systems. I am not crying just giving an honest opinion based on experience. I spent about 180 bucks on my desert digital Ruger 10/22 and have had no FTF or any other issue "out of the box" in over 2000 rounds. So based on my logic that says "if it works keep it, if it doesn't get rid of it" then I would say I made a good decision selling my 597. Try to sound a little more educated the next time you bash someones opinion that is based on their experiences. Constant FTF/FTE issues is a pretty big deal for a product that has the sole purpose of shooting. You gave your opinion that it is much better than the 10/22, and I respect that and hope you continued success. Hope it doesn't jam up when you really need it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 6:52:22 AM EDT

Marlin Model 60 FTW!

I got nothing against the 597. But the little Marlin is, in my mind, the epitome of what a 22 autoloader should be. Accurate, light weight, simple and sturdy construction. Will last forever. Many a pest has gone to meet Jesus courtesy of the Model 60.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 8:18:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By JamesP81:

Marlin Model 60 FTW!

I got nothing against the 597. But the little Marlin is, in my mind, the epitome of what a 22 autoloader should be. Accurate, light weight, simple and sturdy construction. Will last forever. Many a pest has gone to meet Jesus courtesy of the Model 60.

I eyeballed the Marlin pretty hard. But in the end, it came down to two factors. i wanted a mag fed rifle to use at Appleseed shoots, and the price on the Remington was $50 cheaper than the Marlin.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 4:17:20 PM EDT
Savage model 64. Magazine fed, more accurate out of the box than a 10/22 and most sell for less than either the 10/22 or the Model 60.

Dolomite
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 4:21:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Dolomite_Supafly:
Savage model 64. Magazine fed, more accurate out of the box than a 10/22 and most sell for less than either the 10/22 or the Model 60.

Dolomite

Had one. Gave it to my son for his birthday. I bought the 597 as a replacement. The only thing I didn't like about the Savage was the magazines.
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 4:30:07 AM EDT
I had one about 7-8 years ago. It would occasionally FTF, but I tried to learn what the problem was and fixed it myself. I was a little surprised to read all of the shrill reviews about what a cheap POS the 597 was. It isn't. I traded my 597 in as a down payment for a CZ 452 not so much because I didn't like the 597 but because I really wanted a bolt action 22. The main thing I remember about the 597 was that the stock "fit" me better than some of the other 22s on the market. Since then I've acquired a couple 10/22s for the kids, which are pretty good rifles too albeit somewhat small.

Glad you had a successful shoot with your rifle. I would buy one again if I found a deal somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 6:50:35 AM EDT
Originally Posted By VacaDuck:
Originally Posted By Dolomite_Supafly:

Dolomite

Had one. Gave it to my son for his birthday. I bought the 597 as a replacement. The only thing I didn't like about the Savage was the magazines.

That was the one, in black synthetic. I didn't like the mags either but other than that it was a great gun!
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:07:56 AM EDT
I took mine to the range last week end to sight in a new scope. The only complaint I had was the trigger was not as smooth as I would. I have a new trigger on order so that should correct that compliant. Other than that the rifle shoots better than I do. My brother-in-law was shooting a 10/22 and I kept messing with him by shooting the spinner targets just before he did. I shot at 25, 50, & 100 and was able to score bullseyes at each distance.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 8:09:30 AM EDT
Another +1 for the Savage 64. They sell for $120 and mine absolutely smokes the 10/22 it replaced in trigger pull, accuracy, and workmanship.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:09:44 PM EDT
I was finally able to shoot my Remington 597 today and I'm very impressed with it. For the price it's a really good rifle. Yes I have heard all the negative things about them but I had no FTF at all and I was shooting the 10 round mag and 30 rounder's.
Top Top