Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2006 3:15:42 PM EDT
Today I fired my PTR91-A1 for the first time since I purchased it last summer.  Until today I had been spending my time accessorizing it with things like a B&T scope mount, Warne lever rings, Bushnell 3200 10X, Williams PSG1 trigger job (I got the contoured trigger, not that cheesy trigger shoe) and a real HK buttstock with a HK21 rubber buttpad.  I've cleaned the hell out of it many times too.

Well today I put 70 rds through her with nary a problem except trying to chase a scope reticle that was "stuck", for lack of a better term.  When sighting it in at 25 meters it hit about 18" low.  I cranked the elevation up a couple revolutions and the next 2 shots hit in the exact same place.  I cranked it all the way up and fired 2 more shots into that same group 18" below the point of aim.

WTF?

Basically, after many rounds of ammo and many revolutions back & forth of both the elevation and windage knobs I got the reticle free'd up (I guess that was the problem) and zeroed with surplus Aussie ball and inexpensive Federal 150gn SP's.  The Aussie printed about 3" at 100 meters and the Federal 150 SP's (308A load) grouped about 1.5".  Not bad for the first shots.  I did not try any other ammo today as the light was waning and I had spent time sighting in a CETME as well.  (A 100% good report for the CETME too.)

I expect the accuracy to improve to near or sub MOA once I find the particular ammo that this gun likes and it gets fully broken-in.

I experienced not one single failure to fire, feed, extract or any problem with my PTR91-A1.  It was flawless from the beginning to the end and a sheer pleasure to shoot especially with the Williams trigger!

I look forward to the next range session and giving successive reports of no problems.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:00:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Let's see some photo's
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:34:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Alright already.  Sheesh.  

And if you need to view much larger pics:
CETME large pic
JLD large pic
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:22:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Alright already.  Sheesh.  

img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/229553/308pics009.jpg
img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/229553/308pics012.jpg

And if you need to view much larger pics:
CETME large pic
JLD large pic

Nice - How did you get the B&T scope mount base to go over the top of the forearm? I had the same one you had and sent it back to get the Universal B&T mount so it wouldn't interfere the forearm. Here 's a photo of my PTR91 with the Universal B&T Mount -

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:48:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Nice - How did you get the B&T scope mount base to go over the top of the forearm? I had the same one you had and sent it back to get the Universal B&T mount so it wouldn't interfere the forearm. Here 's a photo of my PTR91 with the Universal B&T Mount -

If you'll look closely at the large pic link, I notched the upper rear corners of the forearm to clear the long B&T mount.  I used a Dremel and took off a bit too much but at least they clear each other now.

Does your B&T mount have nice brass marks on it from the ejected cases?  Mine certainly does.

BTW, nice buttstock.  Whose?  Where?  And how much?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you'll look closely at the large pic link, I notched the upper rear corners of the forearm to clear the long B&T mount.  I used a Dremel and took off a bit too much but at least they clear each other now.

Does your B&T mount have nice brass marks on it from the ejected cases?  Mine certainly does.

BTW, nice buttstock.  Whose?  Where?  And how much?

The B&T Universal mount is much shorter and the brass does not touch it - The stock is PSG90 from Topnotch on the web and ran about $200.00 and worth every penny IMHO - These rifle should be sold this way right from the get go - The factory stock doesn't cut it for me and especially if your going to scope your rifle.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:24:36 AM EDT
[#6]
eric: This is an email I recieved directly from JLD, perhaps it will help you in selecting ammo...

"Jason, the information they gave you is not true.....you can use both commercial and surplus ammo, the barrel was made for the 147 to 168 gr bullets since it is a 1 in 12 RH twist, best ammo to break in the rifle is Remington UMC 150 gr FMJ, it takes about 200 rounds to fully break in the rifle, you can use also the following surplus; Portuguese, Argentine, British, Lake City, Australian and Spain.

Do not use the following surplus: South African, Indian, Austrian and CAVIM from Venezuela.

Happy Hunting!!!!!!  and Merry Christmas!!!!!

Victor
JLD"
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:27:47 PM EDT
[#7]
nothing wrong with SA ammo.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:40:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I think (but can't confirm because I've yet to fire any of the SA ammo I have) that the issue with the SA ammo is that it is supposedly sealed with that tar-like stuff.  And I would imagine that might gum up the works, so to speak.

So far I've just run Australian 144gn F4 ball and Federal 308A 150gn SP's through mine and it has been flawless.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:35:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Eric, is this your first 'child'???  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I still can't get over that fact that you have had this thing since Summer, have been posting at every HK board on earth, accessorizing"( Your choice of swishy verb not mine.) and you are just now getting around to shooting this rifle in January.

I suppose it will be a while before you've got her tweaked out and clean enough to shoot again.

Come to the range. The weather is fine.

JR
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:59:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Eric, is this your first 'child'???  

From that "mother", yes.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:05:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I still can't get over that fact that you have had this thing since Summer, have been posting at every HK board on earth, accessorizing"( Your choice of swishy verb not mine.) and you are just now getting around to shooting this rifle in January.

I suppose it will be a while before you've got her tweaked out and clean enough to shoot again.

Come to the range. The weather is fine.

JR

If it's any of your business, I have other things to do in life besides shoot.  

Besides, I knew how I wanted this rifle built and there was no point in rushing things.  It takes time to save up more $$$ to buy the next accessory/feature.   It's sort of like building a racecar.  There is NO sense in running it until it's completely built or you'll just be mad at its lack of performance.  (I race cars too, one that turn left & right.)
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:40:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I too like to have my weapons (and race vehicles) juuust the way I like them.

pardon me if it was mentioned... what type of reticle does the scope have? I am leaning towards Mil-dot myself when I do finally start playing with optics. I am doing the 'rifleman' thing and will shoot irons until all my MBRs have a solid battle zero first.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:00:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice looking weapon , Lucky Man, Enjoy
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:35:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I too like to have my weapons (and race vehicles) juuust the way I like them.

pardon me if it was mentioned... what type of reticle does the scope have? I am leaning towards Mil-dot myself when I do finally start playing with optics. I am doing the 'rifleman' thing and will shoot irons until all my MBRs have a solid battle zero first.

The Bushnell 3200 10x scopes all have the Mildot reticle system.  Nice, solid turret clicks too.  Check the EE as that's where I bought mine (barely) used.  New they cost just under $200 and buying a used one should knock 10-30% off of new prices.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:10:51 PM EDT
[#16]
South African TAR SEALED AMMO, bad,bad,bad.  After my first range trip with my JLD PTR 140 rounds. I had no problems until my second mag. Failure to recoil (scary) and failure to feed, I saw that crap around the case neck, after it bent a a cartridge I was able to pull the bullet by hand. And it became a single shot on the last mag and a half, the ejection got really sloppy I picked up a piece of brass that crap was all over it, and looked like black paint. I first fired it with some FN? ammo at my gun dealer's, a full mag and no problems. I am glad I read this article, I wouldn't recommend going to the range with one of these shooting South African ammo, unless you like cleaning between mags. I got the ammo from Aim Surplus, I won't ever use it again, anybody need a case and a half?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top