Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 9:35:51 PM EDT
A friend of my father died 6 months ago.  He had a total of approximately 300-400 of M1 Garand, 30 Carbine, Springfield 03,  M14's (not sure NFA or not),  98Ks, and a few Japanese rifles all dating back to ~1965 (nothing much newer than that).

From my first walk through of the collection 2 years ago, the friend of my father had one of every manufacturer of m1 garand, 30 carbine, Spring 03, complete with Leather, Scabbard and all original wood.  

my father and I are meeting the wife of the friend who died, and she is most likely going to let me have first dibs or if not, at least tell her what she should expect to get for the either single items or pieces in the collection.  

I would like the Hive advice on what I should look for.  I don't have time to pick up a throat erosion gauge, so I will looking mostly for Brand name and finish.

What are the more rarer breeds of Garands,  30 carbines, Spring 03 and if that applies at all to 98ks the same question?

I have several new m14 semi autos but I am lost on the old stuff so again the same question.

Thanks for the info,
(Also incase any one wants to call BS, I will post some photos tomorrow afternoon or tuesday after I walk through the collection again.

Update:
I took the camera today, and here are some photos I am willing to show....
Motherload photos

I need to Revise the number down,  Its probably only a hundred, but I counted out 11 M1 Garands and at least 15 M1 Carbines,  I didn't have time to look for all the 03, or 98k but there is plenty there plus tons of other guns I have no clue about.  

Of the Garands, I thought It was interesting he had two, Beretta Roma imports marked FKF Nr PB XXXX.  I thought it odd to have Italian markings.  

None of the Garands were super special. (aside from those above.)  Two did have NM marked on the op-rod which would make me think the rifle is a national match, but I am no Garand expert, and I don't think the original owner was much of a gun smith, so I kinda doubt he would take a NM oprod and put it in a non-NM gun.

Garands
4 Springfield Armory (all 1942-45 prod) (one converted to 7.62x51)
1 Springfield Armory Tanker
2 Winchester (one with NM stamp on op-rod, one said to be imported)  (Nov 1944)
1 H&R (said to be imported)   (1953-54 run)
1 International Harvestor (with NM stamp on op-rod) (1953-54 run)
2 Beretta Armi Roma Italia (FKF Nr)

I think I am gonna get 2 of them, one for me and a buddy of mine.  I was leaning towards getting the 1950's productions, hopefully those would be better shooters than the 1940's stuff. (I am not into just holding on to guns, they need to go boom.)
My Dad has a pretty detailed list of the other things, so if you guys got a question or two, you can shoot me an I.M..  I can't say she (widow) is willing to start taking offers for the collection but in the event she does I bring up with you guys..

The collection is in Portland Oregon.

Adam
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Lucky!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Gas traps.  Its what I'd be looking for.  Additionally I'd mortgage the home and both kidneys to get one rifle per month from each manufacturer from WWII.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:03:38 AM EDT
[#3]
where is this at ?

as for the K98s, find the ones that are ALL matching numbers
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:29:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm of no use on the older firearms but if you have questions on the M14s, IM me or e-mail me. [email protected]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:33:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Okay, I just want to see pics.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:48:28 PM EDT
[#6]
OST
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:35:18 PM EDT
[#7]
If it were me, I would go in this order.
1. M1A1  carbine (paratrooper stock)
2. IHC Garand (if it has the original barrel)
3. Any or all of the early US 30 carbine. Preference for a Irwin Pederson, Rockola, S'G', Saginaw SG, IBM,  Winchester, Quality Hardware or any line outs.
4. lugars or 1911's
I would be taking out a loan if the needed.
Good Luck and let us know what you bring home.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:04:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow, that guy was a serious collector! Lots of good stuff in the photos. I would look for Carbines with flip sights from any manufacturer. With Garands look for Winchester, IHC, and H&R. Springfields are good but are more common and easier to find.

If you find an M1903 in there with a Pederson device you will have really hit the motherlode.

With 1911s you want to look for wartime Rands and Singer.

Thanks for posting this!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:31:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Id pick up a Garand if you dont have one, A Carbine, Grab a shooter and a paratrooper if they're real, Id also go for a Enfield, Grab a Jungle carbine.
ETA:Didnt see any M14 types or 1911's but grab that FN49
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:42:28 AM EDT
[#10]
As far as M1's and 1903/03-A3's I don't see anything in there that really stands out as being ultra-super.  Keep any eye out for a 16" bayonet that fits either of those two.  If' he's been collecting for a while, it wouldn't surprise me if there was one in there.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:07:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Its not unusual to find a national match Op Rod on a run of the mill rebuilt Garand. The Italian Garands are sought after by some collectors
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:40:43 PM EDT
[#12]
sweet.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:51:34 PM EDT
[#13]
i would sell my house and live in a storage locker full of that stuff
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd like that Finn 91/30 next to the red flag on the right.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:50:15 AM EDT
[#15]
That is definately a list I'd like to see.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 7:08:44 AM EDT
[#16]
I think i'm going to have to dust off the c&r.....when do we get to make offers?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top