Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2006 10:57:29 PM EDT
I have a small collection of Mosins, and I just added a 1917 Remington M1891. I have decided to collect Mosins exclusively and to sell off the stupid Mausers and other stuff. Remington produced about 1.5 million of these during WW1 for the Russian empire, and mine is a fine example of manufactured quality.

The story goes that a veteran brought it back from Europe. It is not import marked and aside from nearly a century of neglect, it's in good shape. The handguard is gone, and so are the extractor and forward barrel band. The whole rifle was caked in soil, and there was some light cosmoline on some of the internals. The sights were rusted in place at "6". A roll pin in the magazine was broken. A magazine screw was missing, and an insect had burrowed into its hole and died there(gross). The bolt was frozen shut but is very smooth now. Honestly, it was a real pain in the ass to get it as clean as it is now. It still isn't perfect. However, this rifle has the best trigger I have ever felt on a Mosin and its action is reminiscent of a foreign contract Mauser. The barrel is just perfect and all serialized parts match. Those not numbered are Remington in origin.

The quality of this Remington is apparent. From the well shaped stock to the polished edge of the cocking piece, it's the definition of how the Mosin should be made.

Here are some pics. This is the first time I've photographed a gun in detail.        

This pic came out great. This is representative of the surface wear on the receiver and the exposed barrel surfaces.

The bore is in outstanding condition. It's mirror bright and there is no discernable damage whatsoever. There was some soil in it, but that's all. I wish the pics would have come out more visible. This is all I got.

The worst damage is on the bottom of the stock. there are some minor gouges.

The extractor has been broken off. I had not yet cleaned out the extractor channel in this pic.

The stock bears a Russian cartouche. There is also a rack number, "20" painted on the stock in this picture. This side of the stock has some white overspray on it that may have come from stenciling the rack number.

I am very happy with this gun.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 4:33:06 AM EDT
[#1]
nice piece of history there. Not many people are aware of the fact that American arms companies manufactured Mosin Nagants for the Russians. Good find!
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 11:47:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Bump for moar pics added.

ETA: This one made it 90 years without being sporterized! Yay!
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 1:49:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice rescue!

Shame the pictures didn't turn out better.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:58:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow Bradley, I'd love to know that rifles history! I wonder if it might have been carried by the American expeditionary force sent to help the white Russian at the closing of WW1? If only it could talk..
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:01:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Wow Bradley, I'd love to know that rifles history! I wonder if it might have been carried by the American expeditionary force sent to help the white Russian at the closing of WW1? If only it could talk..

I believe it was issued to a Russian soldier who traded it to a USGI. I think we'd all be surprised at what we're willing to trade for a Hershey bar at the end of a world war. I will ask my freind to clarify the story.

This gun was carried for what looks like a few months and not shot much at all. It has been shot some because the rifling does not tear my patches. It was well maintained, to say the least. The quality of manufacture is what drew me to this rifle in the first place, though. The action is the second smoothest I own, behind a rebuilt DWM Gew 98.

The bore is perfect. I see three scratches, each about 1mm long, in the grooves towards the muzzle that look like they were made with cheap cleaning tools (I've been using all brass and bronze rods and tools). Other than that, it's as good as a brand new Savage 10FP. It's downright amazing. I've seen rebarrelled Mosins that look nearly this good, but never an all original WW1 issue gun with a bore like this.  Just last night I was admiring the machining in the throat of the barrel.

I can't wait to see how it shoots against my M39.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 1:41:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Sweet.

Someone gave me a bolt years ago similar to that. If it's the same you can have it for parts, that is if I can find it.

Danny
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top