Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2006 2:11:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:46:29 PM EDT
[#1]
You took pictures of the cases but not the rifle? Sheesh!

The Coyote and OD gunkote just arived. I'll have some left over so if you want me to spray your rifle let me know.  

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#2]
That is pretty common case damage with a FAL. Member ggillee, or something like that, at FALfiles has posted an ejector mod that eliminates brass kisses and possibly dings to the case mouth.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:42:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:50:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You took pictures of the cases but not the rifle? Sheesh!

The Coyote and OD gunkote just arived. I'll have some left over so if you want me to spray your rifle let me know.  

So it's not a headspacing issue?  Is 3.5 a reasonable gas setting for the ammo I'm using?  If this is normal, do people not usually reload the ammo they shoot in their FAL's?

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=44646
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=44647
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=44648

HS problems would cause feeding problems and would not dent the case mouth like that. I wouldn't worry about it.

Reloading wise, if those cases were boxer they could be reloaded. a pair of needle noses pliers stuck into the case and twisted would open them up enough to get the expansion ball through.

Where did you get the colored furniture? I'm looking for OD and Tan.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:09:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:31:23 AM EDT
[#6]
For an StG58 barrel shooting Aussie F4 ammo, 3.5 is a little odd. Most run around 5. You may have some gas system binding or the bolt carrier may be dragging a little.

If it were my rifle, I would put a couple of hundred rounds through it and then try adjusting the gas. it may just need a little break in.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Reloading wise, if those cases were boxer they could be reloaded. a pair of needle noses pliers stuck into the case and twisted would open them up enough to get the expansion ball through.

I mostly reload for my FAL.  I tend to run a little light to keep from getting so many serious dents in the case, but like he says I can just run a pair of needle-nose around to get the mouth open again.  If it's way too bad I just toss 'em.  Otherwise it creates a weak looking "V" in the neck.  I run mine on 5 or 4.5 when I just range shooting.  I go down to 4 or 3.5 when I want it to run perfect.  It will beat the hell out of the cases at that setting though.  Those aren't that bad... you could resize 'em.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:17:03 PM EDT
[#8]
My fal has been doing that to the case necks for years, not a concern though since I just shoot surplus. Aimsuplus had a pretty good deal on the south african for $154 + ship for 980 rds.

Blackops_1.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:45:13 PM EDT
[#9]
FALs tend to beat up on the brass.
Ever seen brass shot from an FNC?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:06:34 AM EDT
[#10]
3.5 on mine too (Stg58) with surplus ammo
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:31:26 AM EDT
[#11]
3.5 is not a problem. It just needs to be well lubed and shot a bunch. You will notice a big improvement after several hundred rounds. However, this will help a bunch--- With fine wet/dry sand paper, I smooth out the bottom inside guide lips of the reciever, LIGHTLY smooth up the magazine inside lips, and, look at your bolt. Notice on the bottom of the bolt the brass marks that are on it from the bolt moving over the cartridge cases in the magazine. The bolt can really engrave the brass under it when new. To check this, (at the range) chamber a round, pop the mag out, and check the cartridge next in line to be chambered. If it's scored, it's the bolt. Gently polish out/ round off only those areas on the bottom of the bolt that are marked with brass. This will help eliminate the chunks of brass that build up in the reciever of a new build. Hope this helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top