Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/13/2002 4:19:09 PM EST
I purchased my first AR today.I have been looking for a Bushmaster or DPMS panther but couldn't find either in my area so it was a toss-up between a DPMS 20"(I was told it is a DPMS with a Colt upper.There is a "CM" on the handle near the sight.Is this right?) and a Tromix 16"
The Tromix was priced $799,looked to be in superb shape but had a horrible trigger.
The DPMS/Colt didn't look as nice but had a nice,crisp trigger and was priced $650 out the door.I ended up with the DPMS.
The lower says"C-15" so I am assuming it is cast.It has an A2 handgaurd but the (handgaurd cap?)near the front sight is triangular like it would fit an A1.It also has a permanent muzzle brake that appears to be part of the barrel.I probably paid too much for it considering I didn't get any goodies with it but the fit is good and it shoots nice.I only put 50rd through it today.I have no idea who made it
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 4:28:42 PM EST
schutze, man, it doesn't matter if the rifle you bought was three different colors, and rattled like an old ford truck going down the road, all that matters is......

NOW YOU'RE IN THE FAMILY!!!!
CONGRATS!!!!

you did ok, you'll learn a lot more hangin' around here.

welcome brother, and happy shootin'
colt
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:18:35 PM EST
Is the "CM" marking indeed indicative of a Colt upper?
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:28:10 PM EST

Originally Posted By schutze:
Is the "CM" marking indeed indicative of a Colt upper?

CM is Colts. Don't worry about the hand guard cap. They're all like that except for a few "CAR" styles that I have seen.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:31:53 PM EST
Okay, what the heck. I'll take a shot and see where this goes. A Tromix for $799.00 and you bought the DPMS? Why don't you give us a little information about the Tromix if you remember. There are a lot of people out there, including me that might kill for a Tromix. Drop me a personal email and let me know where I might find this at and see if I get lucky. Thanks, Shawn
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:36:38 PM EST
Welcome to the club.

My first AR was a DPMS lower, and it has been a good reciever. Dam good.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:44:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/13/2002 6:01:21 PM EST by schutze]

Originally Posted By xtant23:
Okay, what the heck. I'll take a shot and see where this goes. A Tromix for $799.00 and you bought the DPMS? Why don't you give us a little information about the Tromix if you remember. There are a lot of people out there, including me that might kill for a Tromix. Drop me a personal email and let me know where I might find this at and see if I get lucky. Thanks, Shawn

Funny thing is...
I posted here about the Tromix yesterday,I think...not one single response. :)
I was trying to find out what they are worth,quality..etc. The only thing I did find out through a search was that he was out of business,and that there are big bore conversions.
So tell me now what is so great about the Tromix?
FWIW,this Tromix was .223 and the upper had an elongated triangle with an "M" underneath...whatever that is.Again,the trigger was horrible.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 6:20:03 PM EST
First off, let me say, you'll be real happy with the DPMS/Colt set-up you just got. The Tromix question is a tough one to answer. The best way I can describe it, is anything with the Tromix name on it is something you won't see very often. Tony was a heck of a AR15 craftsman with a lot of creative ideas that a lot of us out here never took serious enough to actually buy his products, and because of all of us idiots out here not supporting him by buying his products when he was in business, he is now no longer in business. Everything that I have seen and have played with of his are all top notch products with excellent quality. The problem is, he did not make very many of these complete guns and by having so few out there, it really seems to drive up the price. I guess that's the reason they call it supply and demand. According to a post Tony put on here, he only actually made 100 lowers and about 30 of them were sold to C2 for M16 conversions which only leaves about 70 in circulation. He is actually running 50 more lowers, 25 sold to one individual or company (not sure) and the other 25 sold to fellow board members. I happen to have 4 of them coming. I guess one of the coolest things about a Tromix rifle is that it says Tromix on it and you just don't see that name every day. One last thing, according to the numbers Tony posted a while back, there were only 7 .223 uppers ever constructed. One of the biggest mistakes I ever made was waiting on one that a friend in Ohio located at a gun store and told me about. Instead of telling him to buy it, I was going to Ohio in a couple of weeks and was just going to purchase it myself and it sold. The funny thing is, to find out, that was Tony's personal tack hammer that he built for himself but sold before he ever used it. I don't know if any of this helps, but before you go telling anybody else where this might be, if you're not interested in it, drop me an email and I would be very interested in it. Thanks,
Shawn
P.S. Enjoy your new AR, just be careful, it could be a very expensive hobby.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 6:31:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/13/2002 6:34:47 PM EST by schutze]
xtant23:
Don't worry I'm not giving up the location of the Tromix until I get first dibs!!!
I've emailed Tony about it.If it turns out that it is indeed a Tromix upper...I'll buy it.A severe trigger job is in order though.I might swap triggers with my DPMS.If it is not a complete Tromix or I can't find any additional info,I promise you will be the first person I tell since you were the first to inquire,fair enough?
Expensive habit? I'll say,I just bought my first today and I already have my sights set on the Tromix. ;)
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 6:46:50 PM EST
Schutze,
I think you got the right idea. Emailing Tony is probably the smartest thing you can do. I do know if it's a complete gun from Tony, the serial number will be TR-0001 through TR-0100 and if you can afford it, I think it would make a great investment for you. I think the one in Ohio sold for $1,100.00. Like I said, you just don't see a lot of these. Especially complete rifles from Tromix. I hope this turns out to be the real deal for you. Keep us informed. And also, if you go to the search menu and do a search for Tromix in all forms, you'll get a lot of neat information. Not sure if you've already done that. Good luck,
Shawn
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:09:26 PM EST
From what I understood from Tony's "Production numbers" post the complete LOWERS are numbered TR-0001 through TR-0100.I think he meant that those were the numbers for lowers only or as he says in the post "Most were sold as complete lowers" I guess I'll have to wait to hear from Tony to find out for sure.
Again the upper had a marking that was like a horizontaly elongated triangle(upside down) with a block letter M underneath....ring a bell anyone?
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:27:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/13/2002 7:28:07 PM EST by AR15forfun]
My Tromix rifle in .50 AE has no triangle or enlongated M on the lower. It is serial numbered in the "mid-teens". NO, It is not for sale unless you are talking mid-4 digits.

I love my Tromix!

Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:36:30 PM EST
What markings are on the upper? This might tell me something.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 9:59:47 AM EST
Anyone else?
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 5:08:24 PM EST
btt
Top Top