Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/30/2003 2:54:33 AM EDT
A few years back I attended a gunshow. The place was pretty well packed with people probably a couple of hundred. I don't no the details but someone picked up a rifle for inspection, aimed it at the ceiling away from everyone and pulled the trigger. I have never seen hundreds of people hit the floor at the same time. No one was injured and I don't believe they ever ascertained how the rifle ended up with a chambered round. I was their when this took place, really makes you think. We have a wonderful hobby but the consequences of a mistake can obviously be catastrophic.

I'm grateful that know one in your family was hurt as well as the surrounding area.

Steve
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:02:05 AM EDT
Well, the dumbass should have checked the weapon. Remember, the rules of gun safety: EVERY firearm is LOADED. Even if it's NOT.

He could have prevented that if he'd have just checked the chamber like he SHOULD have.

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:44:37 AM EDT
Every gunshow I've ever been to, there are zipties preventing the functioning of the gun and usually anti-theft cords through all the triggerguards. Makes it bloody hard to feel for comfort and pointability.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:40:46 PM EDT
Since that incident before you pay to entet the gunshow a LEO checks all firearms and installs
zippies. Once again this was quite a few years back. I have been to quite a few shows starting with my father when I was very young and this was the first and only time this has ever happened.

Steve
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:11:15 AM EDT
This kinda sh!t reminds me of when I was younger. It seems that there were quite a few number of AD/ND occuring across the country at gun dealers. If I recall, it seemed there were reports of gun dealers catching people putting rounds in the chambers of guns while handling them and then giving the firearm back. The word was that it was some sort of "organized" effort by anti-gun extremists. I wanna say all this crap happened right after Reagan was shot and, supposedly, it was in an effort to try to push for more gun control laws.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:58:51 AM EDT
What you said may very well be true. Rumor had it this individual slipped a round in the chamber and discharged the weapon.

Steve
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:30:52 AM EDT
A few years ago a gy went into a show with a (legal) MP-5. The gun was loaded, the cop at the door took out the mag., cleared the chamber and gave him hell. The guy goes into the show, reloads the mag and cocks the gun.

He later hands it to a class III FFL, the dealer pickes up the gun, somehow hits the trigger, and the gun goes off.

The only round to hit anyone luckily hit the floor and then went into a ladies calf.

I never heard what happened after that. Different reaction from the crowd though, everyone just stopped to turn and look.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:40:39 AM EDT
This happened at a show I attended earlier this year. A customer asked a dealer if he had an example of his work, dealer hands him a gun. Customer looks down the barrel which was pointed at the floor,pulls the trigger (I think a trigger job was part of the work they did) and BOOM!!! right into the floor.

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 11:56:43 PM EDT
Over heard once at a show, after a shot the place went instant grave like silent, and I didn't doubt it a bit.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:04:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Hayboy:
Over heard once at a show, after a shot the place went instant grave like silent, and I didn't doubt it a bit.

Yes - after an AD it is dead quiet for serveral seconds.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 6:07:21 AM EDT
I was at the gunshow in Atlanta last year where they had an AD and it killed a young boy.I was there on Sat and he was shot and killed on Sunday.The father was looking at holsters and wanted to see if if it would fit his gun but didn't bring it. The dealer said I have one that size and was handing him his own pistol.The mystery is when the gun went off. Some say it was the dealer and some say it was the father who pulled the trigger. The gun should not have been loaded .f it was loaded the dealer should have unloaded it and then handed the pistol to him.Tragic.They was from Bama on a little vacation, just the father and son.WD
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 12:44:34 AM EDT
An AD here as well at a local gunshow about one or two years ago.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 6:35:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/7/2003 6:36:48 AM EDT by Old_Painless]
I was at the Big Houston Gun Show once when there was a shot. It went silent immediately, then after about three seconds, pandemonium broke out. Cops ran to the area and arrested a dealer that had shot the pistol. He was showing his personal pistol to a guy and shot it into the ceiling.

On another note, just to affirm that there are plenty of nuts in the world, a friend of mine was a dealer. He had some firearms on his table and had them checked and tied. During a lull in his business, he noticed a .22 rifle untied. He opened the action and a cartridge fell out.

Some nut had cut the tie and inserted a round in the gun. Luckily, no one tried to fire it.

Wouldn't you like to take a baseball bat to the idiot that set that one up?
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 2:34:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/7/2003 2:39:39 PM EDT by ProfGAB101]

Originally Posted By Old_Painless:
On another note, just to affirm that there are plenty of nuts in the world, a friend of mine was a dealer. He had some firearms on his table and had them checked and tied. During a lull in his business, he noticed a .22 rifle untied. He opened the action and a cartridge fell out.

Some nut had cut the tie and inserted a round in the gun. Luckily, no one tried to fire it.

Wouldn't you like to take a baseball bat to the idiot that set that one up?

[Imbroglio mode ON]
Sometimes I want to mount one of those little X10 mini cams to watch my table. Say capture at about 5 frames a second to my laptop. That evening if the day was "un-eventfull" I would purge the file.

I have never had a gun stolen off my table, but I have had a scope grow legs and other incidents.

I once had someone proposition me for something that was clearly illegal. I pulled a mincasette recorder out of my pocket and held it out in front of the guys face and said: "I'm not sure I heard you clearly - Could you repeat that slowly and directly into the microphone." (note: I then told him that there was a deputy 5 tables over and that if he was lucky he could make it to the exit before I came back, I also told him BTW if you are some LEO he will still cuff you and cart you out and check any I.D.'s out side.) (that was the deputys personal policy for narks)

You want to play Games, go buy a Chess board. . .
[Imbroglio mode OFF]
Top Top