Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2010 5:12:23 PM EDT
OK i know a guy selling a M39 this will be my first Mosin what do i need to look for?
Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:34:34 PM EDT
[#1]
What year? That will have an impact. Straight stock, bore condition and original finish are big pluses, as well. Matching numbers are a plus, but mistmatched or "Finn Matched" are not uncommon on Finn rifles, so it's not as big of a detractor if they don't match. Any chance you could post pics and price?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#2]
1943 dated receiver; box “SA” some kind of cog circled “S”

A sako crown looking stamp on the stock, and an S with crossed swords.

He is asking $350
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I go with bore condition and overall looks as well as matching numbers. If any of the 3 is lacking there are more out there.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#4]
You can check it's rarity rating on 7.62x54r.net,  but offhand I would say that is a bit high, depending on bore condition and amount of bluing. Best place to check is Pat Burn's site, see if there are any others with about the same condition going for that price.
You are at a bit of a disadvantage, you do not have many others to compare bore condition to, so you may not be able to see if it is good, very good, or excellent.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Pat currently has a '42 with the following description:

"75% original blue, bright sharp shiny bore, matching bolt & floor plate, partial arsenal tag and a sako war time stock in excellent condition."

Price is $279 on that one, but I think even that's a little high for one that's 75% with nothing really special about it. 1943 isn't  a rare year. It's probably one of, if the the most common years of Sako M39s. The bores on M39s are usually pretty nice, if not like new. If it were anything less than mint, I would pass at $350. I agree that there are plenty of them out there. Again, more details and pics would be required, but that's my opinion with the information that's been given.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top