Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 3/23/2002 1:38:53 PM EDT
I've been wanting an M1 for a long time, but just got around to it a month ago. Mine came with that awful metal handguard, and no bayonet lug. I waited to shoot it until I got a walnut handguard to match the stock, and the barrel band w/bayonet lug. I should have gotten one of these YEARS ago! This little baby is a real blast(no pun intended) to shoot! No feeding or function problems of any kind. Now I have to get a case of ammo (just for starters, I won't be satisfied with less than 2500 rds). Damn, this is a nifty little gun!
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 6:22:24 PM EDT
Feels good?.......
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 3:59:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 4:25:10 AM EDT
I have quite a few Carbines and certainly agree that they are the "original fun gun". Jerry Kuhnhausen writes a superb technical book, however, I think he is probably a bit off-base relative to the tendency of a Type 3 barrel band (i. e., the one with the bayonet lug) to harm the accuracy of a Carbine. As long as the band is "free-floating" and not binding on the barrel once you "snug it up" I think that the effect on accuracy will be quite minimal----you have to remember that much beyond 100-150 yards, Carbines----as much fun as they are----are just not all that accurate.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 6:43:15 AM EDT
selling my two carbines are two of the biggest mistakes I have ever made. I thought $11 a box was too much for ammo. Stupid!
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 7:00:24 AM EDT
ive had my carbine for just over a year.. its a winchester and i had some minor problems at forst... fte and ftl
i bought some new springs and i have not had a problem since. my only recomendation for those that get a 'older' carbine is to replace the 20 coil m1 hammer spring with a new 26 coil m2 hammer spring. that helped alot.

cb
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 9:29:33 AM EDT
They had some WWII action scenes on the History Channel last week and I paid attention to what was being carried and used. The M1 carbine was being carried and used a lot. How were they parceled out to the troops?
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 7:49:34 PM EDT
I got the walnut handguard and the BB w/bayonet lug because I wanted to make this as close to "general issue" as possible, and still have a gun I'm not afraid to put to hard use. An original is just too valuable for that, IMHO. Well, also because I really like they way it looks-I'm a sucker for a wood stock. I will get Duff's book on it, though, for future reference. As far as accuracy goes, I'm not too worried about any affect the bayonet lug has on it. After I sighted-in, I was hitting spent .12 gauge shells pretty much at will at about 35 yds (about as far as I could see them clearly-the peepers just ain't what they used to be), and I figure that's good enough for me. The only draw-back to it (that I see) is the cost and availability of ammo, but when you order ammo buy the sh*tload, that ceases to be much of a problem. I think this'll be my SHTF gun, I'll just have to bear in mind (should the need arise, God forbid) the type of weapon it is, and to use it within it's limits.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 12:56:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/25/2002 1:18:36 PM EDT by raf]
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 8:43:05 PM EDT
I'll repeat an anecdote about the carbine's stopping power. While in a customers house I noticed a japanese sword and commented on it. My customer, a WWII vet, told me how it came into his possession. I believe he said it was after the end of the war, some japanese units hadn't gotten the word, or at least in this case a particular officer wanted to go out fighting. He charged with the sword and it took a full fifteen round clip from the M1 carbine to bring him down.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 11:51:11 PM EDT
Axel, I can only say that people seem to either love the Carbine, or hate the very sight of 'em. Aside from the early runs of the M16, I'd wager that the M1/M2 Carbine stirs up more debate than any other US shoulder arm. I'm just one of those types that loves 'em, I guess. Raf, thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:23:44 AM EDT
Absolutely love shooting my carbine. And don't believe everything you hear about the 100 to 150 yards only. I shot my in last year's Garand match. At 200 yards. Improved my score over the prior two years. Which maybe isn't saying much, but the little guy can reach out and touch someone farther than you may think.
Top Top