Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2006 9:16:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:23:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not real familar with M1 carbines,  however, the RIA over EB is a post war Rock Island Armory rebuild stamp, it must have went through a rebuild somewhere along the way, I have a '03A3 that has the same stamp on the stock and  it went through a rebuild as well. So, some of the parts are probably post war...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:48:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Just about any USGI carbine can bring $600 these days, as long as nothing permanent such as scope mount holes drilled in the receiver has been done to it. A moderately "clean" one can easily get in the $700-800 range OR HIGHER.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:10:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Very good price for a USGI carbine. I went in search of one at the gunshow this past weekend. Inlands were going for $700 and up. There was one Winchester in average condition a guy was asking $950 for, and a beat up Rock-Ola was going for $750. I ended up buying a clean non-import Inland from a private seller for $550 and was happy to get it.

There were several Universals priced from $319 to $475, and one Plainfield NIB going for $650.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:10:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:26:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Gas plug requires a special wrench. I saw them at a gunshow last weekend for $12.

Nearly all carbines were arsenal rebuilt after WWII, meaning nearly any combination of USGI parts is technically "correct." Many people like to restore carbines to the parts and condition they would be in as they left the factory. This can get very expensive as some of the correct early parts are pretty rare. You can choose to do this, or just enjoy your gun as it as (and a bargain, at that). Either way, remember to have fun!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:39:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Would there be any benefit to replacing parts with Underwood parts?

How do I get the gas plug out?

This thing is nasty.  I can't believe how much carbon and powder is built up all over this thing.  

As stated previously, the gas plug requires a special wrench. Use it, or otherwise you may end up boogering it up trying to remove it with the wrong tools.

I would get some Kroil to loosen up all the crud and more than likely even with the proper wrench your gas plug may not even move. Spray it down with Kroil and let it soak for a few hours or overnight.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top