Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2005 7:09:59 AM EDT
Which of these have the most effective muzzle brake?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:33:13 AM EDT
[#1]
ar50 by far.

-theseacow
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:35:20 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
ar50 by far.

-theseacow

+1

I have a sneaking suspicion that the brake on the Cobb is either made by Armalite or a licensed copy of it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:45:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Any chance of putting an AR brake on a Serbu?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:37:21 AM EDT
[#4]
It's been done before, Marks new Shark brake really cuts down the recoil from the old one.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Any chance of putting an AR brake on a Serbu?

There's a member right here who has an Armalite brake on his Serbu. The big blocky brake sort of contrasts with the Serbu's roundness.

I've shot a Serbu with the old style brake and it really isn't bad. A bit milder than a Barrett 99.

To answer the original question: AR-50, Serbu, Barrett 99 in that order. I've never shot a Ferret so I can't comment.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#6]
The Cobb has the Armalite break.   It says so right in the add.
I can only comment for the AR-50, which I think you could shoot with a t-shirt on.   Muzzle blast is another story...
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't count out the wieght of the AR50 for some of its recoil reduction. It weighs 43 lbs. That's a crew served weapon!

The Serbu shark gill brake is pretty effective.

To really get a measure of recoil, you need to put the different brakes on the same rifle.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Before I bought my Anzio,  I was going to retrofit a Armalite brake on my gun but after shooting the 12 chamber brake that was included, I realized I didn't need the Armalite.  After seeing the Armalite in action and seeing how much blast it produced I realize more credit needed to go to the weight of the gun and not the efficiency of the brake for dampening recoil.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:18:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess no one here is a member of the FCSA, they did the tests and the AR-50 brake showed the most recoil reduction out of all the brakes.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:27:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Last time I spoke with Cobb mfg when ordering a thermal scope they said that  they did extensive research and found Armalite brake to be the best, hence they use their brake. I read in Guns/Weapons for Law Enforcement magazine on a Cobb rifle article that the writer had felt the least amount of recoil out  of a Cobb because of the brake, recoil pad and the engineering of the ergonimics on how the felt recoil forces are transfered from the rifle to the shooter. The writer said it felt like a .243 hunting rifle, which is mild compared to other .50bmg rifles i have owned. Thats why I sold my other .50 and bought the Cobb because my wife wanted to shoot .50's also and she hated the recoil on my M82 and ofcourse you could not hit the broad side of the barn with that moving barrel design.

my 2cents worth
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top