Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2002 10:15:10 PM EDT
Hello,
    Occasionally a round won't feet into the chamber, but collides with the trunion somewhere and forces the bullet into the case, holding the bolt open and ruining the round.

Any idea what the problem is?  May be even how to fix it?  I am using two 20rnd thermold magazines. My best guess is that one of the two magazines are bad.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 10:20:04 PM EDT
[#1]
You are shooting the H&K91/ G3 in .308 right?  If so, and to be honest I have no idea if this could help, but the biggest problem I have had with my G3 is the flutes in the chamber are not clean.  I don't know anything else, but good luck.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 11:38:18 PM EDT
[#2]
SKSguy, dump the thermold mags, they are causing the problem.  Chances are one of the mags is feeding the round too low and jambing the rifle before the round clears the mag. Either the spring is weak, of the mag is sitting too low in the receiver.  

You can order true HK metal 20 round mags for around $10.00.

www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/AIM_Rifle_Magazines_7.html

Link Posted: 2/22/2002 11:46:27 PM EDT
[#3]
You have only got 2 mags? You should definitely get at least 3 more for a total of 5, minimum. I personally would recommend around 10. When you get your mags be sure to try each of them out for function. You wouldn't want to find out one of them didn't work during an emergency.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 9:12:33 AM EDT
[#4]
If it is a weak spring, I could always find out which mag it is and "adjust" it.  That is to say, I'd restretch it a little more.

I do need to get more though, I just purchased the rifle.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 9:36:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I've never had a problem with Thermolds in my SW3. They do bulge a little when you load them and the mag well on HK types is tight anyway so a good rap on the bottom of the mag to seat them is required. I would try some surplus HK steel or alloy mags to eliminate a mag problem, and make sure the cartridges are seated all the way back against the back of the mag body.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 1:30:49 PM EDT
[#6]
You might want to consider only using crimped military type loads. I am guessing that you are shooting American Eagle .308 or some other straight necked ammo. Crimped rounds were designed to help prevent the bullet from being forced into the case during semi-auto loading.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 2:14:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Hello,

SKSGuy

i had a Sar 8  and traded it awhile back , i still have 12 mags and a new buffer from Buffer tech if you think that you may be interested drop me a email . the mags are Cetme mags 10 /20 rounders new , 2 /5 rounders used .

Thanks
TargetShooter2
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I had the same problem with one of my thermold mags for the 91. I took the mag apart and stretch the mag spring. Appeartly, the spring is not compressing correctly and kinks when trying to feed a round from the mag. This solved that problem.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 11:53:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, just to reaffirm what has been said here... I wouldn't use thermolds if my life depended on it - target shooting only. I like to hear that firm metallic 'click'. Get a couple just for variety.

Quoted:
CDNN has had very reasonably priced H & K magazines for the 91. I bought one and it worked fine.

$ 10 at aimsurplus for mags is pretty tough to beat if they are H&Ks.

CDNN is out of the thermolds and alum mags too. The AIM mags are date-stamped HK.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top