Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2008 3:38:54 PM EST
I have a post in reloading but will now ask here, I am new to reloading and have just finished loading for my 9mm and am satisfied with the results.
My new quest is to load for my M1A so I purchased a couple of pounds of IMR 4895 and Federal 210 primers but now I am hearing that the primers may cause my M1A to slam fire ? and I should be using like a CCI 34 because it has a harder cup to resist slamfires so I will ask you guys that are more knowledgeable than me do I return the primers and get something else or is it safe to use the 210's

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 1:58:13 AM EST
I've used thousands of 210s with M14/M1A reloads and never had a slamfire. Seat them to proper depth and load away.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:32:46 AM EST
True but odds against it are very very high if rifles are in good condition. I now use 34's and 41's in my semi auto rifles as I have a good supply; however I have used thousands of CCI, REM and Federal without any problem. Good choice of powder - Varget and BLC-2 are also considerations.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:11:15 PM EST
Are the 34's a easy primer to get ? like at Gander Mountain , most shops here don't carry reloading supplies and I don't want to eat the hazmat fee
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:27:50 PM EST
I've used thousands or more of WLR and WSR in AR's, M1A's and
Garands w/o any issues,

personally I think the 'hype' is very overated, provided your gun is in good shape

YMMV, however,

(and I do not know a single high power shooter that uses the 'hardened' primer either)
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:52:36 PM EST
Well I will just seat them properly and see what happens, i have never had a issue with commercial ammo and my rifle is in perfect shape and has only had a few thousand thru it with out any problems
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:00:12 PM EST
make sure that the primers are below flush and you are not going to have a problem, unless the rifle isn't in spec. If the rifle isn't in spec, then no primer is going to solve that problem.
Top Top