Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 6/1/2008 9:44:44 AM EDT
I am just starting into rifle reload after loading 9mm and I picked up some IMR 4895 powder for my M1A and was looking at Fed 210 primers, I found the reg flavor and the magnum ones so my question is can I use either
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 2:22:20 PM EDT
Yes you can use either, you will find that 41.5 gr IMR 4895 with a 168smk has served us highpower shooters very well.  Watch the federal primers they are pretty sensitive and you
can most certainly get a slam fire with an M1A.  If your looking for just blasting ammo I cant help ya there.
ETA: I would use CCI primers in an M1A.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 3:29:52 PM EDT
Well I am not looking for blasting ammo but am looking for a secure load to run thru my M1A and was told that the Fed 210's would work well with no issues my Speer Manual says 200-250 on primers but they were out so his next selection was the 210's, should I be concerned and return them and go elsewhere to get the CCI's
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 6:51:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 11:44:01 PM EDT
Would the CCI 34 be a better choice over the 210's ?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:53:42 AM EDT
I use fed 210s in all my 7.62mm loads for my Match M1A.

There are some who will recommend only military style primers (or mag. primers because, they think it has a harder cup-though it may not be true, all of the time) for a semi-auto firearm.  You should be the judge of how much RISK you're willing to take.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:25:35 PM EDT
Like I said I am new to reloading and maybe I am making more out of this than there is but I don't want a 20 rnd mag going full auto or have it blow back in my face but there are those like you who I rely on who have a ton more experience than me so if you guys have used them with no issues they must be ok, as far as my M1A goes it's in very good shape and has not had any issues with slamfires.

The load I am looking at is :
LC Mil-surp MG Brass trimmed, cleaned and crimp removed
IMR 4895 powder
Fed 210 primer
147g BTSP
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:46:21 PM EDT
You should be fine.....use load data from a reputable source and remember to start low and work your way up......watching for signs of, "over pressure."

As for the "slam fire" issue.  There are many reasons for a slam fire, not just the selection of your primer.

Note what CCI says:

CCI® No. 34 and No. 41 MILITARY RIFLE PRIMERS

Military-style semi-auto rifles seldom have firing pin retraction springs. If care is not used in assembling ammunition, a “slam-fire” can occur before the bolt locks. The military arsenals accomplish this using different techniques and components—including different primer sensitivity specifications—from their commercial counterparts. CCI makes rifle primers for commercial sale that matches military sensitivity specs that reduce the chance of a slam-fire when other factors go out of control*. If you’re reloading for a military semi-auto, look to CCI Military primers.
*Effective slam-fire prevention requires more than special primers. Headspace, chamber condition, firing pin shape and protrusion, bolt velocity, cartridge case condition, and other factors can affect slam-fire potential.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 11:57:59 PM EDT
Well I will pay attention to my loads, seat them properly, I know my rifle is in good working order so we will use them as many of you have used them without issues and ss what happens

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:05:20 AM EDT
As with any primer with the M1 and the M1A,, don't chamber the round, then slam the bolt forward.
The firing pin may have enough inertia to set a primer off.
'Borg
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:06:03 AM EDT
FYI, the difference between magnum primers and regular primers is the length of the spark column the primer puts into the case.
A magnum primer puts a longer spark curtain into the case to get more uniform ignition on the slower burning powders.
The primer cup is NOT thicker. The anvil is shaped different on a magnum primer than from a regular primer.
You might be surprised how much pressure increase you can have by switching between the primers with the same powder and load.
DON'T switch between the two.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:51:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:28:00 PM EDT
Yes it has, I purchased it from 308 Brass it has been sized, cleaned and trimmed (2.005"), it seemed like a good price I figure I can get maybe 4-6 reloads in before I have to toss it for recycle
I planned on running it thru my re-sizer again just to make sure, I am setting up my 550 for 308 after having done 9mm with fairly good success for no reload experience and relying heavily on you guy's advice and experience.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:27:07 PM EDT

FYI, the difference between magnum primers and regular primers is the length of the spark column the primer puts into the case.
A magnum primer puts a longer spark curtain into the case to get more uniform ignition on the slower burning powders.
The primer cup is NOT thicker. The anvil is shaped different on a magnum primer than from a regular primer.

FYI........Various brands differ on how they make um.  Example:

Wolf Small Rifle Magnum primers have the same power as regular Wolf Small Rifle primers, but the cup is a little thicker and less sensitive.

And CCI says............

CCI® MAGNUM RIFLE AND PISTOL PRIMERS

Some real-world shooting conditions require more aggressive initiation than provided by standard primers. Large cases, cold weather, and certain propellants often require a hotter primer flame and a longer burn. CCI Magnum primers offer you that edge, plus you get all the attributes that make all CCI primers so great.

FEATURES & BENEFITS:
23 percent hotter flame than standard primers
Increased flame duration
Initiator compound engineered to ignite
ball/spherical propellants
Improved sensitivity for “critical-need” loading

USAGE:
Large capacity cases
Heavily-deterred propellants
Ambient firing temperatures below 20° F
Usage Note: Use Magnum primers only where
called for in published reloading data

Note: My red color added.

And, about the thickness............

www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php

But, remember.............things, may change.  What you do and how you use the various products are, up to you to decide.

Aloha, Mark
Top Top