Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2009 11:01:25 PM EDT
How much are you guys using that load 60gr V-max or 60 gr Nolser BT using Varget? I'm fixing to load some using new LC'07 Brass, CCI #41 primers, and was thinking about 25 gr's of Varget under them loaded to 2.250 COL, what you think about this load for an AR with 5.56 Nato chamber 1/9 twist.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:00:06 AM EDT
[#1]
You need to QUIT TROLLING for loads as what is accurate/safe/reliable in somone else's gun is not going to assure any of the three in your gun and/or flat out GUESSING about a load.   You get out to the range is a series of stair step powder charges to test. You want SAFE, ACCURATE, and RELIABLE reloads.  So quit spamming the board and hit the reloading bencch.  Remember that using the CCI 41 primer is like using a MAGNUM primer, because it is a MAGNUM primer!
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:15:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree that CCI 41's are not a good choice for use with Varget.  I use CCI 41's, but only with ball powders like H335.  As mentioned above, 41's are a magnum primer and can cause pressure spikes prior to a manual's listed max charge being reached (assuming the manual lists data for loads tested with non-magnum primers).  I use CCI BR4's with Varget, inclding with 60 gr. V-Max's.   Speaking of reloading manuals,  you should really buy a couple and read them a few times.   That said, if you safely work up a load using LC brass, CCI BR4's, Varget, and Hornady 60 gr. V-max's, you will find a load that you like.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:38:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I use 60 Bts with winchester brass and remington small rifle primers. I only got good accuracy from max loads.
Max loads are different in each rifle, so you need to work up.

Normally I do not like loads that only shoot well at max pressure. But these loads are for coyotes out of a rifle built just for that purpose. So that worked out well as only a few will be used at any one time.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:11:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I have already primed 100 cases of LC brass but only loaded 5, 25 gr Varget, this is on the low side and I do have about 5 different manuals for the first poster and have read them all. The max load is a compressed load of 27 gr of Varget with the 60gr V-max, so I figured I would start with the starting load of 25 gr's and work up, but did not know the Varget would be to hot for the 41 primers.
All I have is Varget and #41 primers, like 10,000 of them, so what should I do with all the Varget if the 41 primers are to hot for it?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#5]
OK, I got 1K CCI 400 SR primers, will these be better with the Varget than the #41's?

If I use the #41's how  much should I reduce the load to make up for them being Magnum since I'm already at the starting load of 25gr's ?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:24:20 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are starting from the minimum load then using magnum rifle primers is not a big deal.

Some manufacturers have the same amount of propellant but just a harder cup.

CCI does say their magnum primers produce a 23% hotter flame but they still work for non ball powders.

Are they optimal for Varget?  Probably not but not a huge deal or save them for when you get some H335 or TAC.

Just start low, check for pressure, and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:11:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, thats what I figured and was going to test the 5 I have loaded and go from there.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Using magnum primers can be a big deal.  Many of us find that Varget produces the smallest groups in charges approaching maximum.  Compressed Varget loads that often perform best combined with primers that are 23% hotter than specified is a foolish choice.  CCI SR 400's are identical in charge to BR4's and safe to use interchangeably; CCI 41's are not, they are a magnum primer.  For your safety, you should really buy and read a few reputable reloading manuals before heading to the range with your handloads.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

All I have is Varget and #41 primers, like 10,000 of them, so what should I do with all the Varget if the 41 primers are to hot for it?
Your supplies aren't junk just because one guy on AR-15 tells you that he thinks Varget and a magnum primer are too hot.  IMO, you are good to go, but asking questions like the ones you have suggest that you need to do more reading and research.

You need to work up a load.  Varget is one of the choice powders for service rifle shooters.  Seek out a service rifle oriented board, and see what they have to say.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Your supplies aren't junk just because one guy on AR-15 tells you that he thinks Varget and a magnum primer are too hot.  IMO, you are good to go, but asking questions like the ones you have suggest that you need to do more reading and research.

You need to work up a load.  Varget is one of the choice powders for service rifle shooters.  Seek out a service rifle oriented board, and see what they have to say.

No one said 41's are junk. In fact, in an earlier post I said I use them with H335.  However, both CCI/Speer and Hodgdon recommend against magnum primers (such as the CCI 41) for use with powders such as Varget.   They recommend a non-magnum small rifle primer.  That goes a little beyond "some guy on AR-15".  But hey, what do I know...
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:44:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Well most companies recommend not shooting reloads in their firearms so I guess you better stop.

The guy is starting with minimum charges and is working his way up.

That is alot different than loading a max compressed Varget load for High Power matches.

We already told him it is not optimal but it is doable as long as he works the load up and watches for pressure.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:03:00 PM EDT
[#12]
OK here is my next question, what is the best powders for 60gr bullets like the V-Max & Nosler BT?

I will save the #41's and load the rest of them with another powder more suitable for their application.

Next Q, what is the best reloading books for mid weight varmint type bullets? not going to be loading anything lighter than 55gr FMJ's for punching paper and am sticking with the 60gr for all other shooting, so no need in any info on heavy long range comp bullets either, may try some 69's one day but that is as heavy as I'll probably ever go with the 1/9 barrel.

I can get any powder I need, so I was thinking about some H335 and H4895, what are your thoughts on these powders and are there others that might be better suited for my type shooting?
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 5:02:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Checkout this link that is posted from time to time and has awesome info for 223 and I think will answer your recent questions.

There is also a link to Sierra's load data for both a bolt 223 and an AR.

http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html

Your two powder choices are right on the money for 50-60 grainers.

I like Speer and Sierra load manuals.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top