Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2011 12:53:01 PM EDT
Many people who have shot the SCAR 16 have commented on the low amount of felt recoil.  Don't you think the reason for the low recoil  is due to the very effective FSC 556 brake that it comes with ?
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#1]
In my opinion, It's 1 part ergonomics, 1 part gas system and 1 part brake
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 1:06:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Only thing I felt was the bolt going back and forth changing the center of gravity a little bit.  Not much else though.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 2:16:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Many people who have shot the SCAR 16 have commented on the low amount of felt recoil. Don't you think the reason for the low recoil is due to the very effective FSC 556 brake that it comes with ?

No.  I've replaced the brake.. it still has a very soft recoil.  I think the reason for low perceived recoil is mainly the low cyclic rate... it spreads the recoil out and makes it easy to control.  The brake does make a difference, but even without it, my SCAR shoots much softer than my AR's.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#4]
i put a vortex on mine

fires great ;)
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:00:59 PM EDT
[#5]
You don't feel the recoil because your damn ears are ringing too loud!!..

Anyone try a surefire brake on theirs?  I have one on my OBR and stealth and I really like how easy it is to set up follow up shots.

Plus the very possible future addition of a surefire suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:47:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I put the Surefire MB556AR on mine so I could run my can.   Still almost zero felt recoil, probably a bit more concussive than the PWS brake though...
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 5:41:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Has nothing to do with the break.  It's all in the design/function of the rifle.  I have a few .22's that kick harder.  Love the 16!
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Many people who have shot the SCAR 16 have commented on the low amount of felt recoil.  Don't you think the reason for the low recoil  is due to the very effective FSC 556 brake that it comes with ?

I have 2 SCAR 16's. One with the factory FSC brake and on the other I replaced the brake with a AAC blackout. The brake is effective but too loud. Brake or not the SCAR is a well designed and soft recoiling rifle IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Has nothing to do with the break.  It's all in the design/function of the rifle.  I have a few .22's that kick harder.  Love the 16!

While 223 is pretty soft anyway the brake definitely makes a big difference. It was even more noticeable on the full auto guns
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:05:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:05:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Its not the brake, as I run an AAC also.  I think the real factor is the heavy carrier which is inline with the stock, much like the inline recoil design of the origonal M16.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:00:28 AM EDT
[#12]
As others have said, it's not the brake, its the operating system. Even with a flash hider it has a very smooth recoil impulse. My SCAR is by far my favorite 5.56 to shoot. Looking forward to getting another to SBR soon.

SCAR vs AR

This article goes a bit more in depth.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:22:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Anyone try a surefire brake on theirs?  I have one on my OBR and stealth and I really like how easy it is to set up follow up shots.

It IS very loud. I shot a couple of shots at a coyote w/o hearing protection and my ears were ringing for a few hours.

I think the SCAR's recoil feels more like that of an AK. It comes straight back instead of up.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:14:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It IS very loud. I shot a couple of shots at a coyote w/o hearing protection and my ears were ringing for a few hours.

I think the SCAR's recoil feels more like that of an AK. It comes straight back instead of up.

My Vepr K in 7.62x39 jumps way the heck up. It broke a bipod once because it repeatedly jumped up/down on the bench.

My 24" AR15 HBAR recoils straight back making it very easy/soft for follow-up shots. I have yet to try my SCAR 16S though!

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:03:55 AM EDT
[#15]
The first time I shot my SCAR I almost fell forward, there is no recoil.
I replaced the PWS with an A2 and there is still very little recoil.
I just hope that the SBR SCARs have the same light recoil.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My 10.5" SCAR 16 shoots just like my 16.25" SCAR 16... just a bit more boom. :)

You need to swap gas control screws to adjust the cyclic rate.  One of the beauties of SCAR engineering.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Ditto!
Not a lot less than an AR, but plenty enough to be noticable.
I replaced the PWS with a VLTOR Break/FH and I dont notice any additional felt recoil.
chuck

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top