Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2003 1:37:13 PM EDT
Very soon there will be some Nagant rifles on the market with an "MO" mark on the reciever ring.

These are special guard rifles markings (for high ranking cabinet members etc.)They are being imported by two large importers, I will not say who. But these markings have been faked. I can not devulge my sources on this, but he is a highly respected importer / distributor who does not know I am posting this here.

Just like the K98 rifles with "concentration camp" markings on them that came out about a year ago, these have been faked in Europe. The Mausers were stamped in Austria, but I do not know yet where the Nagants were marked.

I just wanted to mention this before they hit the market in the next few months.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:33:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the heads up!  The assumption here is of course that these fakes will naturally be selling for a lot more than the same standard garden variety Nagants.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:38:24 PM EDT
[#3]
A highly respected importer wouldn’t import fakes don’t ya think?

Why would it be wrong for you to say who it is? Your not on the payroll are you?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 3:14:31 PM EDT
[#4]
No not on the pay role. Better described as a tag-a-long with a dealer friened. The importer I was talking with does not have the rifles, he turned them down when he learned they are fake as I understand it.

It is my understanding that the importers did not / do not know that they are faked, or simply don't care in one case. It is not hard to guess who one of the importers is.

As green18 said, these rifles will potentially go for a higher price.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a M91/30 with MO marking about 4 months ago. Hopefully the one I got is a ture MO rifle. I asked for a hand-pick hex rifle, the dealer brought out 4 rilfes and got to pick the one I wanted. At the time I did not know anything about these rifles except they looked cool and needed to have one. I picked out the best looking one and ended up with a very good rifle.

Later,
Gavino
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:03:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the heads up.  You mentioned the K98s with SS markings as fake.  I didn't know this.  How is a person supposed to find out if these "special" ones are real and not just knock offs?  Makes me leary when buying something out of the ordinary.  Any advice on how to spot fakes other than Buyer Beware?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:19:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I know of the last batch of SS rifles that were faked.  Really it is hard to tell.  I would say about 90% of them are faked at this point.

Unless I could research the individual rifle or knew the seller very well, I would pass on most any SS marked K98.

Gavino, It was my understanding that these new rifles have just come in.  I have not yet seen one for sale. If it has a CAI import mark I would pretty much guess it was faked, but that is only a guess since I am not sure if this batch is out for sale yet.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#8]
The rifle that I got was imported by Tennessee Guns Inc. and like I said I got it about 4 months ago so I sure it a original MO mark on it. Why would any importer do this just to make a few extra bucks.
Later,
Gavino
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:26:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, figure an average Nagant runs about $75.  Just by stamping a mark in the receiver, it can instantly be worth 2X that.  Instant $$$

Most dealers don't know, they can not be experts on everything they sell, it is the importers usually.  Guns are big money, and the way to make more money is to sell "rare" guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top