Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/24/2005 4:50:31 PM EDT
Not Advacned Technology.

How good is the Remington factory folding stock? I looks very solid to me from the pic.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:55:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2005 4:56:10 PM EDT by Rocklock]
They are good for a folding stock where have you located some ?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:59:29 PM EDT
The original stamped steel, top folding Remington Factory stock is a very sturdy design.

Like many folders, it pounds the Hell out of your face and shoulder under recoil.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:17:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2005 5:20:21 PM EDT by amuroray]

Like many folders, it pounds the Hell out of your face and shoulder under recoil.

I can feel the sheer hell of it by just looking at the pic!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:40:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:30:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By amuroray:
Not Advacned Technology.
How good is the Remington factory folding stock? I looks very solid to me from the pic.

You really can't talk about how good it is without having something to compare it to. Otherwise, it would simply be the best, because it would be the only one available. Regardless, I will do my best to answer your question based on my conversation I had with a Remington Law Enforcement Sales Represenative that I had this very morning at about 9:15 AM.

Interestingly though, I was trying to settle an argument over these vs. the ATI, when some asshat went way overboard and had the thread locked, and not to mention, his account was locked as well (for this reason, and numerous other instances of similar behavior on his part in this and other threads).

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=187039

This morning I called Remington Law Enforcement Sales bcause I was concerned that the dealer who sold me an 870 Police Magnum with an ATI Top folder had switched out the original metal folder. I was informed that Remington has recently decided to switch their original metal top folder for the ATI b/c they had experienced many problems with breaking and malfunctioning. One could clearly ascertain that it was a quality issue as well as a cost cutting issue. I guess the cost of replacing and repairing them was greater than providing that ATI stocks as Remington OEM stocks that seemed to be more durable as well. The representative told me that they did extensive testing on the ATI and deemed it a more reliable stock and for other reasons as well, worthy of replacing the original metal topfolders. Take it however you wish. Who's really to say which one is better other than someone who's used both. I can be pretty sure that Remington did not decided to phase out their metal topfolders simply because the ATIs are less expensive though.

At the gunshow this weekend, I did get a chance to handle an older model Remington 870 Express with a metal "Law Enforcement Only" stock and it seemed pretty solid and sturdy. I went ahead and purchased a new production POLICE MAGNUM that now comes with the ATI factory OEM from Remington because I liked the feel of it better. The metal one had more loose play and was rather 'clanky' when opening and closing it. Also, I didn't like the idea of a steel plate buttstock with no padding slamming me in the shoulder, and I just felt that the ATI would be more forgiving on recoil.

The metal one may be a fine piece, however, now that remington is no longer producing them, I would think that problems with breaking/malfunctioning will begin to cost end users more money, and are therefore better off with merchandise that is waranted by Remington. I'm also willing to venture that should your metal overfold stock break and/or need replacing, that they will likely send you out a new ATI version.

Just my 2 cents. I'm no expert on either, so please don't assume that my reply means anything substantial. Do your research as you have begun already here. I'm curious myself as to what you will find.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:34:42 AM EDT
IMHO, it comes down to how you are going to use the shotgun. If you use your shotgun often, then you want a comfortable shock that provides 'good cheek'. I've got the old 'LE Only' overfolder and it is tough to shoot with since it doesn't provide any recoil relief and isn't 'cheeky'.

But, I'd use it if I was going to put it on my truck gun. It makes the gun very compact and can slide over rifle sights (as well as the new factory Rem ATI version, per niceguymr).

First identify how you will use the gun, then we can recommend a good stock.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:29:44 AM EDT
From the "For what it's worth department".

The steel Remington top folder did have a long history of the plastic grip portion cracking and breaking.
Remington supplied police department users with replacement grips for broken stocks, but "civilian" owners had a really tough time getting a replacement from Remington, since Remington only sells Law Enforcement guns, accessories, and spare parts through their LE distributor network, none of whom deal with anybody but FFL dealers.

The Crown Jewel of the shotgun world is the Remington 870, and Remington JEALOUSLY guards the reputation and 95% market share of the 870 Police model.

If they are factory installing a plastic folder, it WILL be as good, if not better than the old steel folder.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:57:02 PM EDT
I have hung around with alot of law enforcement personel and I have yet to see any of them carrying a folding stock on a shotgun WHERE ARE ALL THESE STOCKS GOING?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:28:35 PM EDT
HIREFORFIRE, i get what your saying this sheriff from CALI comes up and shoots with us every year at a trap shoot and he brought up 4 of his riot guns that he had done for him... they were all trap guns with shorter barrels and this weird metal tube where a tube extender would go... he told me that was to compinsate for the lost weight but your right
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:37:01 PM EDT
When my brother was a detective (defective??) he carried one of the factory folders for a while/ First time he went to qualify with it he went back to wood. It beat him up pretty good
Top Top